Marriott International Reviews | Glassdoor

Marriott International Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • There is no culture around work/life balance (in 150 reviews)

• long hours sometimes but that's to be expected at any hotel (in 198 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having a great hotel discount is a perk as an employee - as long as you can actually get it because they are starting to become very stingy on availability AND if you can get off from work because that is always difficult too. Holidays and summers are frowned upon to ask off so spending time with your family (when kids are out of school) doesn't happen and managers wonder why they have so much vacation time to use by the end of the year.

Cons

Since the change in leadership, working at Marriot wasn't fun anymore. someone very wise at Marriott once told me that when work isn't fun any more then it is time to move on - that is what I did. The expectation as a Department Head is to work 55+ hours a week and leadership makes you feel like even that isn't enough; balance of work/life/personal is no longer there; treatment of associates is selective and not consistent nor fair; as a Department Head you are expected to work flex hours - sometimes you are asked to come in at 2am, then the next day it may be 3pm and work a late shift, then the next day at 7:30am to start the day. It is crazy to think this is a work/life balance scenario not to mention that it becomes a health issue too. But you are just a number to them - you are very dispensable and you are made to feel that way when you do not put in the number of hours they expect you to work. Hospitality is hard work - it is the same at all companies. Marriott use to be the best in treating their employees - which they do well at with hourly associates just not with the management level. The MVW brand is not growing so there are no promotions to work towards. GM's are not moving. They tend to promote people from within with zero experience which is only frustrating to the staff that has to train the inexperienced individual. They magically create positions to save other people's jobs - very much a "boys club" and very difficult to find promotion opportunities when it is ran this way. Compensation is fair for a Department Head but for entry level managers or the next role, the pay is very low and below the new Threshold for most positions. I have always respected the culture and values that Marriott has portrayed and it was evident when Mr. Marriott ran the company. Now, not so much. It is all about the numbers like any other big company, so Marriott is no longer special when it comes to choosing a hotel company.

Advice to Management

See comments in Pros and Cons

2. "It was alright"

Former Employee - Night Auditor, Front Desk Agent, Manager On Duty in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule
    can book for literally anywhere

Cons

management property level is abysmal
    poor development across the board

3. "Food and Beverage Server"

Current Employee - Server in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Orlando, FL

Pros

Good hotel discount especially when they merge with Starwood now

Cons

Expensive health insurance and high deductible

5. "Just OK"

Former Intern - Intern in Riverside, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Riverside, CA

I worked at Marriott International as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible time; working environment; staff discount

Cons

non-paid; take additional time as contract mentioned

6. "F&B...associate and manager. Great, but a lot of work, stress, and little room for mistakes."

Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I met some of my best friends working for Marriott and learned a lot about myself over the last few years. -Benefits are great -Amazing mentors (if you're lucky to get one)-Room rate discounts -Outings

Cons

It seems that the turnover rate is higher than when I first started. This affects your schedule significantly and your workload doubles. There also is a lot of favoritism that affects the morale. I've also seen a lot of highly unethical conduct and surprised when the people involved were caught, they did not get fired...they were PROMOTED. Starting managers make little, which is the industry standard. Do the math...you should not need the 10+ hours of time and a half pay (overtime) to be able to pay your bills. There is also no work/life balance. As a manager, you're always on-call. You deal with uneducated associates who think they can run the HR department. Some properties are pro-management and some are pro-associate. I've worked as both an associate and manager. It's a highly stressed job as a manager because you work at least 50 hours a week and are always pulled in different directions. There's not enough time during your shift to get everything done.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff more and offer bonuses for entry level managers. Be fair with scheduling. You preach consistency, but don't treat everyone the same. If you're going to fire someone for one mistake (like showing up to work late once or a first time policy violation), you better have someone else lined up to the fill the position. Stop spreading your managers too thin. Coach those who make mistakes. You have gotten rid of talented people who made one mistake.

7. "I'd marry my company if it wasnt for..."

Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Constant little ways to show you youre appreciated by senior leadership. Direct reports less so.

Cons

Business transformation allotted talent ineffectively

Advice to Management

Show your millenials you care and allow them to reach new heights without filling seats.

8. "Constant schedule changes leads to turnover which leads to more frequent schedule changes. It's a non-ending cycle!"

Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Hollywood Park, Bexar, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Hollywood Park, Bexar, TX

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Option to work from home, friends and family discount on rooms is ok, potential to stay for free at select locations, lots of freebies/food for on-site employees. Training was enjoyable and I have mad respect for the trainers that have to try to keep up the morale when half their classes quit before completing it.

Cons

Don't expect to get time off to actually use employee discounts or free trips. Company feels that additional savings off hotel rooms during the winter is equivalent to a holiday bonus... it's not! Holiday work requirements frequently change so you'll be told you only need to work one winter holiday and then it will change with about 3 weeks before the holiday. Don't expect any real coaching, it only happens once a month. Turnover rate is crazy high so schedules are always being redone, every 6 weeks to 3 months so it's hard to make long term travel plans.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a livable wage and do something about work/life balance

9. "Night Auditor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

Pros

Flexible scheduling, fun workplace environment.

Cons

Management lacks communication, don't care about employees. Low pay.

Advice to Management

Endorse a more positive culture. Reward employees for being on time, showing up.

10. "TownePlace Suites Rock Hill"

Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Rock Hill, SC
    Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Rock Hill, SC

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's is one of the best jobs I had. The mangers care about you and its easy to advance in the company. If your not over looked for a position.

Cons

When I first stared working a TownePlace Suites I came in with 8.50 on the front desk. Now that I am a front supervisor I only make 10.50. But another guy how was front desk supervisor was make 11.50. They jump in and down on the pay rate which I don't think is far if they are doing more that what's asked of them

11. "Great temporary job"

Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in Linthicum Heights, MD
    Current Employee - Guest Services Representative in Linthicum Heights, MD

I have been working at Marriott International part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

health benefits, dental plan, 401k and paid time off after 6 months, free food from social dinners and delivery, employee discount on hotel stays under Marriott brands and partners

Cons

like any costumer service job, the angry guests, working nights and weekends

Showing 908 of 4,225 reviews