Marriott International "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Marriott International Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 28, 2019

3.9
Marriott International President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson
3,170 Ratings
Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Genuinely care about the well being of their employees."

I have been working at Marriott International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most sustainable work culture I’ve found in the hospitality career so far. Good work-life balance. Promote from within. Employee appreciation is a priority.

Cons

Irregular work schedules depending on your position. Most positions have to work weekends at least sometimes.

Advice to Management

Please continue to mandate that individual hotels take employee satisfaction seriously. Please think carefully before replacing entry-level positions with technology (eliminating desk agents or lower level accounting/sales people).

Marriott International2019-11-23
  2. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Front Office Manager

I have been working at Marriott International full-time

Pros

Development, Advancement, Teamwork, Family Values & Fun

Cons

Work/life Balance and Schedule, Demanding Metrics

Marriott International2019-11-19

"Too Big to Fail and Too Slow to Excite"

Former Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Marriott International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

By far the largest Hospitality company in the world. The company is slow and steady. Yet I don't feel like it is winning the race. After five years it was time to stop the boring, comfortable, safe, slow and very dull life and move on. Best way I can compare it is to the US Government. It took months for any progress! Antiquated Systems and so much red tape and approval process in order to get anything done.... Yet with every passing quarter or month the company continues to get bigger. You have no voice, yet you have your job that pays well and can support your family. All the employees use the analogy "I too drank the cool aide" After the aquisition of Starwood the company now hows 30 brands of hotels consisting of more than 5 thousand hotels all across the globe! I think they are more than 50% larger than the next closest competitor such as IHG, Hilton, Hyatt etc. Every week there were mass company emails welcoming i another VP over this department which you may have never heard of. A lot of speakers would come in and talk and yet you were not quite sure why they were there or what the point of the meeting was. So to the point: Pros: Comfortable and Safe and you can hide in the shadows. Great work Life Balance

Cons

You can read my description in the pros. Cons: Brutally slow for change, difficult to make an impact, not very colorful or exciting. Cannot talk to anyone if have an issue. Pointed to an outsourced support company to open another ticket. Very difficult to make an impact or feel valued.

Advice to Management

Recognize the global size of the organization and break it up to smaller segments where change can occur. Give employees the opportunity to enact change and not feel like we are on a huge ship just flowing in the Ocean, with no direction, but plenty of supplies to last a lifetime.

Marriott International2019-11-06
  4. "Great Culture, Good benefits"

Current Employee - Shared Services Market IT Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Marriott International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large company where you can aim to do anything anywhere and lots of potential and opportunity for growth in different cities. Decent Health care options. 8 weeks paternity leave. Room discounts. PTO and Holidays in comparison to the rest of the hotel. Work life balance is okay if you manage your properties correctly. Lots of good people you work with that become like family. Lots of new roles and good career... path and structure to move up. Associates are often celebrated in the company with small parties and perks.

Cons

Underpaid based on market value. 50 hour work weeks expected. People are scared to record their actual time when it comes to overtime because projects take more time than allotted weekly at most properties. 401k match is vague based on company performance.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about large scale changes.

Marriott International2019-10-24
  5. "Great company, poorly paid"

Current Employee - Sales Administrative Assistant in Medford, MA

I have been working at Marriott International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance, good company culture, good coworkers

Cons

Poorly paid, underappreciated, state minimum PTO

Marriott International2019-11-04
  6. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Bridgeport, CT

I have been working at Marriott International full-time for less than a year

Pros

flexibility of hours work life balance

Cons

low pay for sales executives

Marriott International2019-09-28
  7. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Front Office Manager

I worked at Marriott International full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Company benefits Opportunities for Development if desired

Cons

Work-life balance can be difficult, but this is true of all Hospitality jobs

Marriott International2019-09-09
  8. "no work life balance"

Current Employee - Event Manager

I have been working at Marriott International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company discounts, lots of opportunities for growth and to make connections within the company. The company has implemented a work from home program for events which is nice, but you can only use if you achieve your customer satisfaction goals.

Cons

No work life balance valued within the company. In all 3 hotels I've worked in you almost feel shame for taking your vacation days or not working 12 hour days. People are recognized for emplyee of the month, etc. for picking up extra shifts, working long hours, etc. but not generally for the quality of the work they do, positive attitude, etc. As the business mix changes and more 3rd party planners come into the... mix, volume is increasing, etc. the staff models need to change to accommodate the business mix, all of the system updates and changes that need to be managed.

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at staffing models, give general managers more flexibility with those to manipulate based on business mix changes and business volume vs just hotel size. Value employees that are efficient and have good outlooks. Value employees that can execute and manage well above "selling" the dream or themselves. If there is a way to change the hiring process and make it more operationally driven and focused... on hiring managers who can execute I think that would be good. Also, a lot of managers want people who are experienced within their specific discipline, so I think putting more of a focus on crosstraining managers that want to move from one discipline to another (ex: event mgmt to sales) is important and crucial to creating a stronger management team. I've been operations, and events, and I know how valuable that experience would be in being a good sales manager, but I've found it hard to make that transition. I've found the company would rather hire someone that has a sales background from an outside company rather than training someone who is familiar with their company and operations in the sales processes.

Marriott International2019-09-20
  9. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Marriott International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Room to grow with the company.

Cons

work life balance/open 365 days a year.

Marriott International2019-08-22
  10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - General Accountant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Marriott International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to get promoted quickly Promotes from within Great hotel discount Good 401k

Cons

Depending on the department there is no work life balance Poor communication no matter what department

Marriott International2019-08-22