Marriott Reviews | Glassdoor

Arne Sorenson
1,421 Ratings

3,909 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Not a great company for work life balance (in 142 reviews)

• long hours sometimes but that's to be expected at any hotel (in 187 reviews)

1. "Marriott Values Diversity and Cares for their Associates!! Great Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Group Sales Manager in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Group Sales Manager in Towson, MD

Pros

The wonderful benefit package and my marriott discounts!! Also they focus on relationships more than revenue!!

Cons

None-It's a great place to work, specially for diverse peopel like me : )

Advice to Management

Senior Management is great!! They have a wonderful open door policy and listen to us!! My immediate Director is a micro manager!! But that is not Bill marriott's fault!! I would not let one person ruin my chances with the company! It is just my personal experience that is a little negative but I would recommend marriott in a heart beat to any of you who are considering a career with them!!

2. "Great work place"

Current Employee - Night Audit in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Night Audit in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

They offer great benifits for students. They have the tutition reinbursment program which is great especially for those working and going to school like my self. Marriott also offers room discounts for employees, friends, and family.

Cons

Offer more money for the associates.

Advice to Management

Listen and trust the employees that has been loyal to the company over the years and have been honest.

3. "Great environment, great company!"

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Portland, OR

Pros

Marriott offers a good benefits package that is comparable to other hotel companies. In my experience with the company, they are very helpful with your future. Should you choose to continue in a career with Marriott, great care will be taken to guide you to the position you want to achieve. This includes monthy meetings with managers to see how you are progressing, as well as company provided courses (that you care paid to attend) to further your skills and help you down the road. Marriott also has great travel benefits... you can travel anywhere in the world and stay at an associate rate that can be as low as $39.00 a night. Your friends and family are also eligible to receive a discounted rate, they just need a form from your Human Resources department or Manager.

Cons

Like anywhere, there are things about the job that are stressful. Since you are working in the service industry, you will be in contact with many different types of people, with different backgrounds, and different ideas of what service is. You will meet people who are so friendly and easygoing that nothing will bother them, even if you are oversold and they have to stay at a different hotel for the night, they just say they understand and don't care. Then you will have the other extreme where if you don't smile just right they will jump down your throat. You just have to take it in stride and realize that sometimes it isn't even you that sets them off, it could be their bad day that started 12 hours ago.

Advice to Management

I really like my Executive Commitee, they seem to have a handle on what is going on at the hotel. I definitely feel like they appreciate the staff, every month there is some sort of appreciation activity. They keep on top of our GSS and keep the employees in the loop of what is a focus area that needs improvement.

5. "Magnificent Marriott, come join our fabulous team."

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Manhattan Beach, CA

Pros

I have worked for Marriott for almost 10 years. I have worked for 5 hotels from 300 rooms to over 1000. The teams I have worked with have been amazing-teamwork, helpful, hands on. I know have children and my hotel is flexible so I can be an awesome mom and sales manager.

Cons

Lots of hours in the beginnning. The company is large so information is sometimes slow and we can't change all that quickly.

Advice to Management

Always remember to say thank you to associates and re-evaluate the pay scale. Starting out after college, it can be hard to get all the bills paid.

6. "Marriott - An excellent employer to work for!"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Marriott strives to treat its employees well. One of the core philosophies of Marriott is, "If you treat your employees well, they will treat your customers well, and your customers will come back to you." Marriott offers professional development courses to help you grow and advance professionally. The benefits are nice, and I've stayed at many nice hotels on a highly discounted rate.

Cons

Sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. To put it another way, Marriott has so many different departments, such as Reservations, Customer Care, and Guest Services, that it is difficult to know what is going on.

Advice to Management

My only advice or feedback would be to improve communication. Let your employees know what's going on within the company's many different departments.

7. "Marriott: Start your adventure!"

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Wallingford, CT
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Wallingford, CT

Pros

Marriott is an amazing company to work for. If you had to choose some of the best reasons to work here they would be as follows.
    1. Perks: As an employee of Marriott International you have access to discounted rates at any Marriott worldwide for rates as low as $35 per night. You also have a 20% discount on Food/Beverage Items as well as a 30% discount on gift shop items.
    2. Support to Move up: Marriott International is all about helping you as a person develop into a higher role (that is if you want it). If you are determined to take the next step, Managers and the whole company as a whole will give you the support and resources that you need to achieve your goals.
    3. Sense of Family: It is great to be excited to come into work everyday. Working for Marriott is like a second family. Everyone is treated with respect and fairness, and you often become very close with your co-workers.
    There are many other great reasons to work for marriott, but if I had to pick the top 3, those would be it.

Cons

There are not many downsides, but with every company has at least a few. If I had to choose any downsides they would be as follows:
    1. Flexibility: You have to be very flexible to work for Marriott, and it is not just Marriott, it is any hotel chain. You are going to work on a rotational schedule. You will have different days off each week and you will be working different shifts throughout the week. That is until you get into Senior Management and then you have a certain schedule, but even Senior Managers have to work 10 hour days and may stay later depending on demand.
    2. As with any customer service business there is going to be irate guests. Because you work in an industry where the guest is waited on hand and foot, it may be hard, but you must maintain composure. If you can master this, you will excell. Remember, you are here for the guests, without them, you would not be there.

Advice to Management

Senior Management is amazing. They are always there for their employees, and are always making them feel valued. One of our campaigns for the employee new hires was "enjoy your stay," because we must enjoy our stay working for Marriott, just as much as the guests are enjoying their stay in our hotels. If the employees are happy, that in turn will put a positive impact on our guests and we all win.

8. "Great place to work, especially in college!"

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Norman, OK

Pros

Good pay, opportunities for advancement, and good people!

Cons

Few management positions available, lack of quality management.

Advice to Management

Take some leadership classes, and discontinue your practice of lieing to associates. One of our managers tells people all the time that he sees them as a future leader at Marriott. The only problem is that he only does this when he believes or knows that the associate is leaving Marriott or his department.

9. "Marriott was an awesome place to work!"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Montgomery, AL

Pros

Marriott was an awesome place to begin my career. I started out as night auditor and worked my way up to sales manager in a few short years. My General Manager was an awesome mentor and leader. I still contact him to this day for advice. He afforded me all the training I needed and then some. He had a great way of motivating his employees and really promoting teamwork. Marriott really promotes customer service and focuses on the guest and their needs. The other great thing about Marriott is that they employee is empowered to do whatever it takes to please the guests.

Cons

There aren't very many things I can think of that are downsides of Marriott. If I had to say one thing it might be that they were too lenient on their employees. Some of the housekeepers there got away with a lot of things and really got a lot of time of work. Now don't get me wrong, they did an excellent job, however they were very spoiled. We also had a high turnover rate, but I think that is the standard in the hospitality industry. The only other thing would be renovations to the property I worked at; we desperately needed some!

Advice to Management

Keep hiring from within.

10. "A a great company, an industry leader and the bearer of a proud tradition that has not lost it's way. industry leader"

Current Employee - Director in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Director in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Great focus on core business of lodging and a desire to remain ahead of the curve or at the very least, stay competitive when it comes to adopting new business strategies and trends. Marriott does a great job of recognizing and promoting talent from within - I literally went from entry-level to Department head in less than 3 years. The hospitality business in general is not for everyone but if you are inclined to love it, you will like Marriott more than the other choices in my opinion - better than the franchise management companies that I've had experience with for sure. Please note that all of my experience comes from working at full-service Properties, I can't really speak at all to the experience of Limited Service associates and managers.

Cons

The Hospitality business is subject to the whims of the economy so that is tough - not only do bonuses and such rapidly shrink away but contingency plans wait like wolves at the door when travel (and, of course) revenue drop off as companies tighten the belts. Also, to advance to bigger and better things it is often necessary to move to larger markets and often this means places like Orlando or resort areas that are nicer to visit than they are to live in. Since Marriott is a largely de-centralized company when working at Property level you feel a bit isolated if you are not afforded the opportunity to attend training and conferences.

Advice to Management

Keep staying up with the competition but don't let it get out of hand - as new Hotel (upscale and full-service specifically) brands come and go, maintain focus on Renaissance and Marriott and keep these products fresh and interesting. Try to skew to my generation (I'm 30 something - what are we called again?) and remember that even though we are trendy and technology adept, we still appreciate value and not being nickel and dimed. Continue to recognize excellence in your associates and remember how hard they work - many for not much financial reward at all, there must be a reason we continue to shed our blood, sweat and tears other than money.

11. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Compensation in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Compensation in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Forward looking company with dedicated employees and management.

Cons

Sometimes too buerocratic and difficult to get things done quickly and efficiently.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to make tough decisions

Showing 3,909 of 4,041 reviews