Marriott Vacations Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

Marriott Vacations Worldwide President Steve Weisz
Steve Weisz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No room for growth in the company (in 5 reviews)

• Favoritism even amongst upper management is not a good look (in 8 reviews)

1. "Not What They Claim to Be"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Palm Desert, CA

I have been working at Marriott Vacations Worldwide full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

On the surface they claim to have kept the standard set by Mr Marriott of taking care of the associates.

Cons

Since the spin off from Marriott, they have forgotten what their creed is all about. They no longer live up to the reputation Mr Marriott established.

Advice to Management

Take care of those that have dedicated years of their life to this company. Don't jump on the first complaint stated by someone that has tried the same thing at other companies and have not been able to get away with!!!! Take care of your associates!!!

2. "The worst"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Marriott Vacations Worldwide as a contractor

Pros

Food and thats all just food thats is the only thing I can think of just sad

Cons

Management is full of drama not worth working they have open my eyes and made me never want to work for any hospitality jobs

Advice to Management

Stop being fake and pulling our peers into your drama mess too mich drama and taking to much money out of the check full of l8es empty floor

3. "Sales executive"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Hilton Head Island, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Hilton Head Island, SC

I worked at Marriott Vacations Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hilton Head only! Lots of wasted talent! Only pro is the hours. Things used to be different before the current manager came on board. Every nice word that comes out of his mouth is a LIE! All managers under him are tainted as well. They have their favorites and Feed Feed Feed them! I was one of them but I see how they chew you up and spit you out! In good conscience I could not bare the abuse I saw and had to go before I was one of the ones they spit out. STAY AWAY!

Cons

Hilton Head Only: POWER LINE! GOLD BOXERS! Top 10 get out 3x day all the rest of the 40+ sales execs get out 1 time or not at all! SUPER HIGH turn over! Greedy, Selfish, Cruel Managers 3% commission? Really?? Other Marriott locations are sooo much better! STAY AWAY from HILTON HEAD! You will only get LIES LIES LIES. At Hilton till current manager leaves! Newbies are only there to get encores and FEED THE TOP OF THE LINE- I feel bad for them! Horrible morale past the top 10.

Advice to Management

Start over with FRESH management. Re-evaluate the lost and abused talent on the bottom of the line. BUILD THE TALENT YOU HAVE and stop the INSANE turn over!

"RUN from any job posting for this company!!!"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Doral, FL
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Doral, FL

I worked at Marriott Vacations Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing positive to say about this company! NOTHING!!!

Cons

As is with most companies, you have a 90-day probationary period and of course due to the laws in Florida, you can be let go from any company at any time for any reason but this company is the worse. I was let go before my 90-day period was up and instead of just saying that it didn’t work out, they made up a bunch of lies to put on my termination papers that never actually happened. Thank goodness there is an HR department that you can direct this bologna to and open a case with, even after termination.

Let me give you some examples of the lies they made up…this is how it read when they gave me the suspension (termination) paper on Monday, January 25, 2016… “there have been some concerns regarding ______'s employment in her first 2 months including her attendance, dress code violations and interaction with other associates”…let's break these down: 1)Attendance – the Thursday, January 22, 2016 before they let me go, my car caught fire at 8:00 am in the morning and I burned my hand very badly but with some help from my husband, who was nearby and rescue, which came very quickly, I still made it to work before my punch in time of 9:00 am but again, the rescue bandaged up my had and it was badly burned. Around 11:00 am, I told my boss (the GM for the location) that my hand was hurting me and that I would be going over to the local quick urgent care at lunch to have it looked at and would be right back. He yelled “No! No! You can't be here without having gotten medical attention.” I told him it wasn’t a big deal but he insisted that I had to leave until I had a doctor’s note. I went straight to the urgent care and they required me to stay home for the following day (Friday, January 23, 2016) but I did come back to work on my the following day, my assigned Saturday schedule; 2) Dress Code - my first assignment when I started there was to clear out a junk pile of stuff that they had shoved into a back room/storage area and I was told that I could come casual for the day or two that I was doing that assignment. The uniform is black sneakers but the only pair that I owned was a white pair of sneakers and since this assignment needed to be done before the weekend (which is when I would have and did go to buy the black ones), I wore the white sneakers ONE DAY. No one said a word to me about that but two months later, it shows up on my suspension (termination) notice; 3) Interaction with other associates - they said that I was rude to a manager during one of our Monday, January 18, 2016 morning stand up meetings but low and behold, how could that ever happened if I wasn’t even there on that day because the day before, a close family friend had committed suicide and I was out one day on bereavement leave (that supposed Monday, January 18, 2016).

The day I was let go, I went up to that manager that I was supposedly rude to and apologized to him for such behavior and he looked at me like I had a horn in the middle of my forehead…he had NO IDEA what I was talking about, as he wouldn’t because I wasn’t even there on the day they say I was rude to him. In my mature years, I have never been rude to a co-worker or manager ever. Again, none of these things were ever addressed to me until my suspension notice.

Now, on to the “suspension notice” …the paper they gave me said “Discipline Type: Suspension” and in the body of the document it clearly said “ _____ is being suspended pending termination within her first 90 days of employment” but I was not suspended, I was terminated on the spot.

As I said previously, none of these things were true and I immediately opened a case with their HR department because even though I didn’t work there nor was ever planning on working for that horrible company again, I did not want such lies on my permanent record. Thank goodness the HR department was able to investigate and see the clear lies that were in the “suspension document” and they were able to clear the entire document to ultimately read “ _____ did not work out within the 90-day introduction period.”

I should have realized the type of company this was from the start because there was not a single person that worked there that was happy. Please do not mistake this company for “Marriot International”, this is not them. I hear they are amazing to work for. This is “Marriot Vacations Worldwide Corporation”. If you ever see a posting for this company…. RUN!!!!

Advice to Management

Keep a better eye on your GM's, especially this one as he also bad mouths his superiors (I spoke with his superior directly and informed him of this after my termination). He does what they feels like and has EXCESSIVE favoritism. He is costing you a lot of money. It should dawn on someone that something is wrong when he has had 5 different assistants in less than a two year period. As I said, he is costing you money because it takes a substantial amount of cash to train someone in the position I had for almost three month (I calculated the cost to be almost $20,000. Do the math, times 5 assistants...that is $100,000 he's cost the company), to just let them go for no reason.

"Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Marriott Vacations Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits and room discounts

Cons

The management needs to be replaced with someone that knows what they're doing.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and earn their respect.

6. "Sales"

I have been working at Marriott Vacations Worldwide full-time

Pros

It's a great company, with great benefits!! People don't leave the company , they leave the management !!!

Cons

Leave the Wheel alone!! STOP THE LOVE LINE!!
    You are ALWAYS blocked from the best tours source ( the blocks, is the way they found to manipulate the rotation, without been so obvious )
    Stop giving the best tours to only 4 reps!!
    GET OUT the front desk when wave starts( let them do their job)
    STOP letting the "top" reps pick their tours a day before!!

Advice to Management

STOP MANIPULATING THE TOURS!!
    I wish someone big at Marriott could read this.. Somebody needs to STOP what is going on at GRANDE VISTA Sales site !!

"Food and Beverage"

Former Employee - Food Server in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Food Server in Newport Beach, CA

Pros

Most of the hourly employees were nice. Room discount are pretty good. There is some room for growth. Few manager were nice other not so nice

Cons

Cant believe such a large company charges employees for food. I even witnessed them reselling food to employees food that was left over from banquets. Management need to loosen up can be disrespectful to employees.

Advice to Management

Good place to learn

8. "SVOA"

Pros

Health benefits and hotel discounts are great

Cons

Scheduling is a joke, you are a just number

"The worst company I have ever worked for!"

Former Employee - Ownership Advosor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Ownership Advosor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Marriott Vacations Worldwide full-time

Pros

Honestly the only Pro to this company is the great discounts you get on hotels!

Cons

Where do I begin?
    When you get hired they tell you that you make vacation dreams come true, that is literally a lie! There is very little inventory for the owners to book! The owners are rude and treat you horribly, every call you get is a angry owner who just screams at you! Out of the 15 systems they have you working on they don't work half of the time, most of the time the website is down for the owners to use! Upper management does not like when you tell an owner the systems are down becasue it looks bad on them. When the Que is 200 calls in deep upper management will sit in one office and listen to calls all day and email you on what you could of done better. The scheduling department is a joke! They don't know what they are doing half of the time you have to correct them. This company will play favorites especially if you go to the same Mormon church! There is a lot of office politics when it comes to upper management most of it is back stabbing and talking badly about others. The company will change something and wait till the last minute to train you or don't train you at all.
    They had a gas leak in the building it took them two hours to evacuate the building and that was after people started getting really sick! The came around not asking us if we were OK but if a news crew came that we should not say anything about the leak and it was only a drill!
    It is very hard to grow within the company and it is not worth the pay!
    You are only a number to them not a hard working employee and they make it very clear you can be easily replaced!

Advice to Management

Maybe instead of caring about how good you look in your pretty little offices you should come out and converse with your hard working employees and make them feel appreciated!

10. "Director of F&B"

Pros

Good hours, decent pay, friendly associates.

Cons

General Manager who is absolutely clueless. Corporate Food & Beverage is too hands on. They don't understand how to run the business properly. The GM cared more about his outlook with the corporate team then actually being involved in day to day matters in property. The general manager had no idea how to run a proper business and cared more about what other vacation clubs were doing. General manager would promote people internally into positions they had no business being qualified for.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the general manager and actually listen to associate feedback. Stop micromanaging.