Mars Reviews in Hackettstown, NJ | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mars Office of the President Grant F. Reid
Grant F. Reid

Pros
  • Amazing culture, great work life balance (in 61 reviews)

• Open office environment fosters collaboration, and lots of company events to keep employee engagement high (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • It's a great working environment but the work life balance can be a challenge (in 45 reviews)

• Open office environment may not be good fit for everyone (in 21 reviews)

1. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Hackettstown, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales in Hackettstown, NJ

I have been working at Mars full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Culture, great people, great brands

Cons

Regular reorganizations, need more innovation

2. "servicer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hackettstown, NJ

I worked at Mars (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay, benefits, 401k, vacation, uniforms

Cons

favortism, people coming in off the street and getting a job that you have been working years towards

Advice to Management

assign jobs accordingly instead of by who you know

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Hackettstown, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Hackettstown, NJ

I have been working at Mars full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Genuinely care about their employees.

Cons

None at the present time.

"You have been warned....."

Former Employee - Director in Hackettstown, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in Hackettstown, NJ

I worked at Mars full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of travel, great brands, multinational

Cons

Lost family feel. Very very corporate. Ratings on a curve, so they eliminate bottom 10%. Lots of yes people. No independent thinking

6. ""Technician""

Former Employee - Technician in Hackettstown, NJ
    Former Employee - Technician in Hackettstown, NJ

I worked at Mars (More than 10 years)

Pros

Started at the very bottom job level , had opportunities to advance over my entire career, which I did. Spent 34 years there working for one of the Finest Families in the world. I think it would have been quite hard to find a better place to work. The Mars Culture and the Five Principals of Mars guide its Associates in private life as well as in professional life. This company really cares about people, family, and the futures of their Associates.
      I basically grew up there, made tons of friends, raised a family, took advantage of all the financial benefits they offered, and was able to retire comfortably at the age of 57.
     Where else could those opportunities be achieved ?
    I rate this company A+........any day!!!

Cons

One downside was in the early years, was having to work the swing shifts and missing lots of friends and families gatherings, and parties.
     For me, the commute was a stretch sometimes... I drove an hour each way to work there, but as time went by, I started to cherish my ride, and considered it "my Time".
     After a while I learned to relax, give myself plenty of time to get there, and enjoy listening to my music and the radio.

Advice to Management

Listen to the Associates, be Honest, and don't play favorites. Learn the job, and different aspects of the processes involved in making the M&M'S...

7. "Not a good place to be a contractor"

Current Contractor - Contractor in Hackettstown, NJ
    Current Contractor - Contractor in Hackettstown, NJ

I have been working at Mars as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, friendly people. I have made some good friends, despite the fact that contractors are pretty much ignored as part of the workforce.

Cons

As a contractor, you are excluded from all interoffice communications. They won't even tell you if the building is closed due to snow.

I feel almost invisible as a contractor. I've never been invited to team meetings, I'm excluded from all company events, I get no training, and I don't even get introduced to the new employees. It's very frustrating.

Contractors have pretty much no chance of getting hired permanently.

Advice to Management

Please include contractors. We are people, too, and we WANT to do well, help out and be included.

8. "associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hackettstown, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hackettstown, NJ

I have been working at Mars full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Lacks process documentations for on boarding

"Ok but...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hackettstown, NJ

I worked at Mars full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of great people with a varied backgrounds and experience. Depending on what level you're at and department you're in there are opportunities to move around within company.

Cons

The culture there can be very off-putting. They have their Mars values but the management doesn't really live up to them. There are no offices (not even for the President), but they make a huge distinction between exempt & non-exempt employees to the point of it being degrading to the non-exempt employees. New high level employees will be nice to everyone until they figure out what level you are and then they often quickly change their tune when they realize you are beneath them. The interview process is utterly grueling and hiring managers often only want people from their own alma maters. They are highly discriminatory against keeping and hiring older employees and only want new/young talent.

Advice to Management

The lack of offices doesn't make everyone equal. Employees find a way to differentiate one another and treat each other differently. Having P&O out in the open is utterly ridiculous and is not appropriate for reasons persons to confidentiality.

10. "Contract Talent Acquisition Specialist"

Former Contractor - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Hackettstown, NJ
    Former Contractor - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Hackettstown, NJ

I worked at Mars as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome company and hiring managers. Company has amazing values known as the 5 principles that most of the company adheres to. Great culture that is focused on promoting women in leadership positions.

Cons

Senior Management at the HR level is passive aggressive and does not want anyone to get noticed at the leadership level. As a contractor, your are told to remember that you are a contractor and act as such. Do not develop relationships that are too strong as there is a fear that you will become the go to person rather than the Senior Management. They run through phenomenal recruiters and end the contract once they have fulfilled the need or become too well know in upper management and senior leadership.

Advice to Management

Project OPAL is key. Focus on HR and and Talent Acquisition, as there are serious management problems that is affecting the morale of the permanent employees and TA team. Contract Recruiters are not values by TA management even when they are being praised by most other segments of the business.

"Fast pace company, high engagement and morale."

Former Employee - Associate Project Engineer in Hackettstown, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate Project Engineer in Hackettstown, NJ

I worked at Mars full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of millennials, fast past environment, right process oriented company, great brand recognition, open culture environment, ahead of market trend

Cons

Punctuality bonus is ridiculous. You can work 16 hours a day but get deducted 5% of your pay if you don't punch in on time