Marsh Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Marsh CEO John Doyle
John Doyle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work culture, great team leaders, work life balance was excellent" (in 38 reviews)

• "Solid upper management with a fantastic work environment" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "You are expected to work "professional hours" so no real work life balance" (in 16 reviews)

• "Upper management is forgetting about the employees- cutting back everywhere" (in 13 reviews)

1. "Insurance Associate"

Current Employee - Insurance Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Insurance Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Marsh full-time

Pros

Great company with great benefits

Cons

There are no cons I can think of

Advice to Management

Training could be a little better

2. "Summer TRAC Associate"

Pros

Great if you have a great boss

Cons

Not for people who don't enjoy networking, client facing

Advice to Management

Hire more employees. Full-time folks at the company are overburdened

3. "Great for learning, bad for growing"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very likable people, open door policy, good training (although sometimes you have to go looking for it), lots of expertise

Cons

Overworked and underpaid, not a lot of movement, senior colleagues don’t get involved on the “smaller” tasks even when the junior colleague is new/new to the account

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees at all levels, not just your senior employees and clients

4. "Insurance Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Marsh full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very strong company and the largest broker.

Cons

A lot of movement in the company.

Advice to Management

The company needs to make an effort retain employees by offering small extra incentives that go a long way.

5. "Great Place to Start Your Career"

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation time, benefits, stock options

Cons

Training, commute, demands, career advancement

Advice to Management

Offer more opportunities for younger colleagues to advance

6. "Tran Associate interview"

Current Employee - TRAC Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - TRAC Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Marsh full-time

Pros

Training is excellent
    They get to know you
    You can choose where you want to go after the program so long as there isn’t a demand somewhere

Cons

Since I haven’t worked here for long, I wouldn’t really know any cons to put. It seems like a great place.

"Certificate Specialist"

I worked at Marsh full-time

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay, relaxed office atmosphere

Cons

Pay doesn't keep up with cost of living in Austin

8. "Mediocre culture, boring work"

I have been working at Marsh full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company
    Exposure to wide range of clients

Cons

Catty and gossipy culture
    Unprofessional coworkers
    Low salary
    Boring work

Advice to Management

Need to heavily invest in younger demographic by providing more incentives for them.

9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Marsh full-time

Pros

Lots of growth opportunities. Good pay and benefits. Relatively positive office culture.

Cons

Work may be repetitive. No ergonomics program.

"Pay is NOT competitive, Operations NOT a priority to HQ, Promotions NOT based on merit."

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marsh full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Offices are kept nice and cool to combat the Texas heat. Plenty of parking. Fooda vendors onsite to sell their meals every day so you don't have to leave the office or go out in the heat to enjoy a variety of food-truck style meals. Attire is "business casual" which in the Austin office just means casual... coworkers are in yoga pants and flip flops on a daily basis. Brand new electric car charging stations outside make the office look cool and modern (tho seriously, who in our office can afford a car that can use them?).

Cons

In my time here, I've seen the pay increased twice (but it is still FAR below the Austin-area standard for work requiring critical thinking on this level). Comparable jobs in Austin begin at $18-20/hr. You will not make that here.

Both times I saw increases take place in this office, brand new hires received the pay increase, while the company continued paying all pre-existing employees the former rate for MONTHS, presumably hoping it would go undiscussed and therefore unnoticed? We have all learned to ask the new hires what they are making to determine when we're getting the shaft. What this means, is that seasoned employees regularly make $2/hr less than the trainees they are teaching. Additionally, when Marsh raised the bottom tier of employees up this spring, it brought entry-level employees up to the pay level of the Tier 2 and Team Lead positions, and those tiered employees were told that a tiered pay structure would be announced shortly later. However, after a few weeks, managers have let everyone know that right now, that's just the way it is, so all entry level employees make the same as the tier 2 and team lead employees who have 2 and 3 times as much work as they do, and are required to train and support those tier 1 employees. This didn't affect me personally, but I feel the pain of my coworkers, and we are losing valuable team members every single day. For Austin, specifically, this company-wide bump is not as helpful as it was likely to be in many of the brokerage offices around the country. You must develop your pay structure based on the cost of living in each office. This is not a one-size-fits-all country. Different cities have different norms.

Additionally, this week, a new employee (5 months) in an entry level position was promoted to a Team Lead position, without meeting the 6-months-in-your-position requirement or even being fluent in their entry level duties ----- being chosen over employees with several years of experience who were extremely qualified for the position. The employee base has come to find out that he has a family member in upper management, and the interviews were irrelevant because he was cherry picked by the office head "to be groomed for management" in the words of one of our more candid supervisors. Again, didn't affect me personally, but I sympathize with the disgruntled and now job-seeking collection of upset peers.

The most hilarious thing that the management has done lately is conduct "Stay Interviews" to collect information on what they are doing right and why the tenured few stay in their positions. The interviewees were handpicked by managers to ensure that only those who "love their jobs" were questioned, and well-known in-house managers conducted the interviews, so no one was going to be candid or comfortable sharing actual woes. If Marsh cares, what it should do is hire a 3rd party firm to come in and conduct interviews with employees chosen at random to find out what the issues are, and then anonymously share the data collected with our leadership. That would be the correct way to do it. Nobody tells someone in power above them what they hate about their job. Duh.

The amount of time Marsh Austin spends training new employees is insane, because new hires quit as soon as they are off the training wheels, and the revolving door never stops turning. Most of the employees hired are 22-25 year olds straight out of college. They beam about this job because it is their first corporate-with-benefits job that lets them wear jeans to work. In reality, Marsh Austin underpays and overworks its employees, and is desperately missing out on what could be SUCH A COMFORTABLE PLACE TO WORK if the pay was adequate and the growth/management was being maintained by some kind of checks and balances / anti-favoritism system.

I would argue that more of us are actively seeking alternative employment than are not, using Marsh only as a cushion to get to the next opportunity. Why am I still here? I need the cushion temporarily while I finish paying off student debt. This is a shared story among many of our members.

Advice to Management

Start acting like you value your employees. A Living Wage in Austin Texas is not the same as a living wage in dozens of other cities because the cost of living is so astronomical here. If you're going to keep your United States operations office in this location, you're going to need to bring all pay up considerably more than you already have, and provide a tiered pay structure for the CS2s and Team Leads as well in order to retain talent. Until then, this will remain the highest turnover rate I've ever seen in my corporate life.