Marsh Reviews | Glassdoor

Marsh Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great Work Life Balance, Great organization (in 34 reviews)

• It's a great company that encourages career growth, has global opportunities, and good benefits (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • You are expected to work "professional hours" so no real work life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Upper management is forgetting about the employees- cutting back everywhere (in 13 reviews)

1. "PCS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Marsh full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent colleague collaboration and employee recognition.

Cons

Coming into town potentially s a longer day due to commute.

Advice to Management

Reward and incentivize the high performers.

2. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Cohesive Workplace, No Drama, Engaging Colleagues

Cons

Slow to Evolve
    Need to Reinvest in Workforce on an Annual Basis

Advice to Management

Continue Investing in Current Workforce

Jul 21, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for taking the time to provide your experience. I agree that our cohesive culture here is one of our greatest strengths. We continue to reinvest back into the business, especially in the ... More

3. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA

Pros

- management actually cares

Cons

Still have to put up with Sr. Mgmt in nyc. Can be very old boys club.

"Client Advisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Nice new Building. Some colleagues are genuine

Cons

People seem nice but most are back stabbers

Advice to Management

Open your eyes...oh no, you are just like the others. bottom line is like everyone has to think and act like the rest to be liked or wanted. If you are different, you are not wanted.

6. "Very Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marsh full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work in the Austin, TX office. The training is really good, the benefits are great, the people are really good to work with. I also like that the company sponsors many efforts for good causes. We are also very focused on process improvement so I like that I have an opportunity to work in that area.

Cons

I would say upper management decision making from corporate. It would be good to be more timely with decisions even if it is a no response.

Advice to Management

Be more timely with decision making and be more transparent. Employees are smart and if you are logical then just communicate the direction we are taking.

Jul 18, 2016 – CHRO

I am glad that you’re experiencing the positive outcomes of our focus on Operational Excellence and Corporate Social Responsibility. We have more work to do but it’s good to know efforts are paying ... More

7. "Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Compliance Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Compliance Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment and company culture focuses on making employees top priority.

Cons

Senior personnel formed groups not always welcoming of new personnel

Jul 21, 2016 – CHRO

It’s always great to get positive feedback. Though we’re not perfect, Marsh is always looking for ways to make our work environment a place where colleagues are engaged and feel included.

8. "Marsh"

Current Employee - Associate Placement Specialist in Newburgh, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Placement Specialist in Newburgh, NY

I have been working at Marsh (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn
    good colleagues
    good place to get established
    opportunities for growth and advancement if you are proactive

Cons

rigid corporate environment
    annual compensation dictated by metrics, no attention to individual work

Advice to Management

upper management does not think outside the box or refer to lower level colleagues for input

"Senior Vice President"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Attracts very good people in the NYC office.

Cons

Worked in FINPRO for 8 years after living in NY and working for many insurance ops over 23 years in NYC including AIG. Honestly Marsh was the worst experience of my career. There is absolutely no work life balance. Be prepared to respond to your last email at 11pm and your first email at 7am seven days a week. Prepare to forfeit your vacation. If you are fresh out of college work there for one year to have it on your resume. Believe me listen to the old timers there in their conversations in the elevator. They are miserable but trapped due to age.

Advice to Management

Fire the image consultants.

Hire HR folks who actually return employee calls. I had a FINPRO group meeting with an HR person who said he left work early one day a week for his son's sports events. Really!

Everyone knows and talks about the old boys club mentality. Pay and promotion are in that vein.

You are losing employees very fast and you need to take your focus off your own paycheck.

Your stock ups and downs will soon reflect everything I have stated as clients hate the constant employee turnover.

10. "Vice President"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You work with some of the best talent in the insurance brokerage industry. It's a great place to learn the business and develop expertise.

Cons

Inconsistent compensation does not always track with performance. Not enough transparency in compensation process. Can be "silo-ed" at times.

Advice to Management

Provide more clarity on compensation across the board and ensure high-performing individuals are paid at the top end of their peer group.

"Job Stability but at What Cost?"

Current Employee - Insurance Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Insurance Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Marsh full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I feel very secure in my position and feel that I could easily stay at Marsh for my entire career
    I really enjoy my colleagues and the general office environment and culture
    Potential to grow and advance although not as quickly as some may prefer
    Full benefits package with paid sick days and vacation
    Starting pay is agreeable - suggest negotiating the highest starting salary you can as you may have to settle with that for a couple years
    Upper Management presence is sufficient and communicates effectively with office

Cons

Pay & Workload - have noticed many employees choose to leave the Marsh to work for competitors in order to receive any kind of sufficient pay increase and to seek more manageable workloads. Marsh states that they offer annual "merit" based pay increases but this is not the case. Often when you finally are deemed worthy of one it can be less than a 1% increase despite offices exceeding annual revenue growth goals and new business goals. Marsh doesn't seem to reinvest any of their profits into the non-incentive based employees yet the pressure to do more work with less help grows year over year. Work can be very stressful and often the expectations seem completely out of reach. Hiring is always a slow process if it happens at all and any extra workload left by a departing colleague is just placed on the shoulders of the remaining team who are already managing extremely overwhelming workloads. There seems to be a lot of turnover due to burnout of employees.
    Insurance: expensive for being such a large company. Low ded plans are very expensive and the high ded plans offer mediocre coverage and no co-pays (so its all out of pocket until you reach your high annual ded). Costs rise year over year yet deductibles are increased and coverage is decreased.
    Training: There is none. It's a learn as you go kind of industry. Can be quite intimidating but definitely makes you pay attention and learn fast. You must be able to adapt quickly, be willing to ask questions, work independently with little to no instruction, and not feel overwhelmed easily.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the non-incentive employees... day to day they keep your business running smoothly and are vital to the success of each office. Every employee should be eligible to partake in performance bonuses or none at all. Hiring is a must. It's hard to be efficient and meet management expectations when you can't possibly keep up with the amount of work being required.