Marsh & McLennan Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Marsh & McLennan Agency Chairman and CEO David Eslick
David Eslick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They offer a ton of flexibility and a great work/life balance" (in 6 reviews)

• "Strong senior leadership, well intentioned and opportunities to learn" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "There tends to be a high turnover rate for consultants" (in 4 reviews)

• "Can oftentimes be demanding and require long hours, including working on weekends" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Senior Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Acct Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Acct Manager

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We have a great culture. Open door policy, colleagues are supportive of one another, great teamwork, caring supervisor. We have great benefits, generous vacation, can work from home one day per week; we get a day off for our annual trip to Myrtle beach for a three day week end. Our clients love the work we do; there is room for advancement; good work life balance; insurance is a great career. Whenever I have been laid off I never had a hard time finding a job. I plan to retire from this company

Cons

open enrollment season/4th Q in employee health benefits can be very stressful and busy. some OT is needed to get all the work done

Advice to Management

Have PTO rather than vacation and sick days. Combine them. Allow working from home two days per week rather than one. budget for turnover; have a floater who knows several jobs who can fill in for the maternity leaves; sick leaves , turnover that is going to occur without a doubt each year

Aug 21, 2018 – SVP, HR

Thank you for your review and the feedback. We agree that the insurance industry provides a meaningful and challenging career - even though 4th quarter does get a bit hectic! Pair that with the great... More

2. "Dead Weight is killing morale"

Former Employee - Shared Services in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Shared Services in Dallas, TX

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are decent benefits and good educational opportunities (CE courses, webinars, etc). Good brand name. There are carrier happy hours. The work/life balance was good.

Cons

Bad behavior- There is a lot of dead weight perpetuating a very cruel and hostile work environment. Bad management/bad employees are not being recycled out, causing high turnover of good employees. The HR department is much to small to support the vast amount of employee-relations issue that happen on a daily basis.

There's a culture where everyone is always afraid for their jobs, so they are constantly undermining or not training colleagues to keep their own job "safe". So far, it's worked.

The cubicle walls are very short and it is easy to be distracted by noises and people walking by. This open "collaborative" work environment seems to be anything but collaborative. Open environment encourages workers to keep tabs on other workers whereabouts.

Promotions are not based on merit, they are based heavily in politics.

Lack of Transparency: the salary bands are still are not published. You will only get a true raise if you go and get a counteroffer. That is when the company will suddenly see value in you.

Advice to Management

Expand HR department
    Stop protecting/excusing the behavior of bad management

3. "Solid middle market account brokers"

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, access to Marsh resources, diverse book of business

Cons

Production focus can occasionally distract from client service. Not unusual in many firms.

Advice to Management

Management should continue adapting services to client needs .

4. "Didn’t even stay for a full year... NYC office."

Pros

At least I liked my colleagues.

Cons

Awful management, ridiculous work load, and hostile environment with very high turnover.

Aug 21, 2018 – SVP, HR

Thank you for your feedback and your contributions to MMA. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience . We strive to create an environment where employees feel valued and... More

5. "Technical Account Manager"

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time

Pros

Room for growth, knowledge staff, and great working environment

Cons

They do not pay enough for the workload and stress

Jul 30, 2018 – SVP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are glad you enjoy the great working environment. If you haven't done so yet, I encourage you to work with your local HR team to explore... More

6. "Great company with great ideas"

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time

Pros

Exciting work. A lot of innovation. Market leaders in LATAM and a truly global view of the business

Cons

A lot of bureaucracy within the different companies and uneven market development by country

Jul 30, 2018 – SVP, HR

Thank you for your input! At this time, MMA only has locations in the US and Canada, so perhaps your review is for another MMC company? We agree that the work is exciting, and that MMC is a true... More

7. "Great Company"

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Agency part-time

Pros

Friendly co-workers and professional environment. I'm thankful for the experience and connections I made.

Cons

Projects for this role were repetitive in nature.

8. "Great company with an even better culture!"

Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Boston, MA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time

Pros

Great people and overall culture. They offer a ton of flexibility and a great work/life balance. The employees are treated like adults and trusted to get their jobs done without someone micromanaging them. Senior leadership team in Boston is incredibly down to earth and very approachable.

Cons

Due to certain technologies coming from the corporate office (laptops and cell phones for example) it can cause a delay in start dates for new hires. Leadership at the corporate level needs to take a look at a better way to provide the various regions with the technologies needed to hire someone in a quicker manner.

"Awful Management"

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good for entry level benefit folks looking to get a foot in the broker/consulting door. Casual dress environment.

Cons

Expect to work very long hours for little to no bonuses for the account staff. Management is not flexible with work from home. Monotonous, lack of creativity, producers/ex-owners very self-centered and focused on themselves. Little to no room for growth or advancement. Training is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Start treating all levels of employees as equals. Increase pay, offer flexible work arrangements, training programs, selling incentives to account staff, advancement opportunities and clear guidlines on how to achieve each step in career goal.

May 9, 2018 – SVP, HR

Thank you for your feedback and your contributions to MMA. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience . We strive to create an environment where employees feel challenged and... More

10. "Love it"

Current Employee - Producer in Northeast, NY
    Current Employee - Producer in Northeast, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leadership is their strongest point - they simply "get it." They seem to have visionaries that are looking beyond day to day issues and more so toward the bigger picture. They also ask and legitimately care what each and every one of us as employees think about decisions regarding the organization and are constantly asked for input and new ideas.

Cons

If you are looking for just another job, then this place isn't for you. We are expected to wear multiple hats and be an ultimate contributor to the company's success far beyond what is included on a job description. Don't expect for big and unreasonable salary $$'s to be thrown at you in comparison to many others across the industry.

Advice to Management

Continue to explore the talents of your internal colleagues while taking risks on others from the outside. The diversity of personalities is what makes the organization unique.