Marsh & McLennan Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Marsh & McLennan Agency Chairman and CEO David Eslick
David Eslick

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Friendly people, good work life balance" (in 8 reviews)

• "Strong senior leadership, well intentioned and opportunities to learn" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "There tends to be a high turnover rate for consultants" (in 4 reviews)

• "Can oftentimes be demanding and require long hours, including working on weekends" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Analysts"

Current Employee - Analyst in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Midland, TX

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This place is amazing! Great team environment. I’m new but the whole
    Team has been here for years! I have never been as happy as I am now. They have been great in training.

Cons

Not one single complaint!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and this place will continue to be amazing and grow!

Feb 11, 2019 – SVP, HR

High five! We're glad to hear that you are happy in your role at MMA. We've got a great group of people in Texas, and you're learning from some of the industry's best. Thanks for the review!... More

2. "Room for Improvement - Michigan"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Integrity, Knowledgeable, Promotes Designations, Facility, Caring Co-Workers

Cons

Management - All Levels, Favoritism - Not All Employees Treated Equally (NOT Due to Race, Religion, Gender, etc.), Lack of Solving Problems, Below Market Pay, Minimal Salary Increases (If Lucky); High School Drama Atmosphere

Advice to Management

There should be at least a few members of management that don't spend most of their time working on clients or prospects. There should be positions that tend to the management responsibilities. Also, make sure you can actually see the negative comments on the employee survey and make changes instead of talking about making changes.

Feb 5, 2019 – SVP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We strive to create an environment where all colleagues feel valued. I encourage you to connect with your agency HR leader to provide additional... More

3. "Admin coordinator"

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time

Pros

I love it here. Friendly people, good work life balance. Nice salary

Cons

There is nothing bad about the company that I could think of.

Dec 5, 2018 – SVP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! We love that you love it here.

"Fool’s gold."

Former Employee - Account Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You may meet some nice people here that make the day bearable.

Cons

This company is a cluster poorly integrated acquisitions and nepotism. Sales are king in this company all the way through to the hiring process. They will sell you on the package of opportunity for growth and a great environment but there is not an ounce of truth in it.

You have a lot of employees from different agencies that have made management their enemy. If you don’t “join” them you become their enemy as well. This results in gossiping, sabotaging of work, and an oppressive environment. It’s high school.

Any issues that come up with employee to employee disagreements, morale, or work processes is always the fault of the employee. Management has repeatedly said that “it’s not our job to make you happy”.

Advice to Management

Your approach to management should not be the path of least resistance. Do not target employees who stand up for themselves against employees who have a history of disruptive and malicious behavior. All this does is alienate people and encourage an environment where bullying is rewarded by management.

Employees dedicate 80% of their time to this company. You do have a responsibility towards the happiness of your employees. Every successful company knows this.

Dec 20, 2018 – SVP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

We work diligently to create a culture of collaboration and respect, and do not tolerate bullying. We hope you were able to provide feedback to... More

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Client Executive in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Client Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management and lots of autonomy. Truly want everyone to be successful and happy

Cons

Can take a long time to build your career to where you want it to be

6. "Business Development Specialist"

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time

Pros

Extremely knowledgeable and diverse staff.
    Excellent Management.

Cons

I enjoyed my time at Marsh & McLennan and comparitive to other workplaces I have no outright cons. As a recent college grad at the time. Some may view this as a negative but I was one of the youngest employees in the office but my colleaugues quickly took me in and I learned from their years of experience.

Nov 8, 2018 – SVP, HR

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to create an inclusive environment, and are glad to hear that you recognized this in your office.

"Favoritism Rules"

Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in San Diego, CA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good experience to take with you to a much better job. Pay "ok". Benefits "ok".

Cons

There are people who have worked there forever and this causes some issues. One being, opportunity to advance in certain areas is nonexistent. Two, this means some people who don't treat others well are never let go and they cause high employee turnaround, especially when they have no business being in a supervisor position. Favoritism abounds and HR couldn't care less.
     Three, causes low morale. Some positions are paid too low and raises are not great. Also, the saying, "That's how we've always done it", means new ideas are not readily accepted or even considered.

Advice to Management

Just because there is not an HR discipline for certain things, doesn't mean it's ok. If you get numerous complaints about someone, and employees go in and out like a revolving door, that means a change is necessary. This should not favor the fact the person has been with the company forever and they show their superiors a different side. It must be dealt with. Stop sweeping things under the rug. No one person is so important that many others suffer because of them.

Nov 14, 2018 – SVP, HR

Thank you for your feedback and your contributions to MMA. We strive to create an environment where employees feel valued and supported. Our human resources teams are respectful and responsive when... More

8. "Sales Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Agency (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent access to the management team

Cons

There were few cons working at MMA

9. "Account Assistant"

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time

Pros

Coworkers are nice. Job security

Cons

Every agency is run different than other regions. Not much room for growth. Not competive pay

"Dead Weight is killing morale"

Former Employee - Shared Services in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Shared Services in Dallas, TX

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are decent benefits and good educational opportunities (CE courses, webinars, etc). Good brand name. There are carrier happy hours. The work/life balance was good.

Cons

Bad behavior- There is a lot of dead weight perpetuating a very cruel and hostile work environment. Bad management/bad employees are not being recycled out, causing high turnover of good employees. The HR department is much to small to support the vast amount of employee-relations issue that happen on a daily basis.

There's a culture where everyone is always afraid for their jobs, so they are constantly undermining or not training colleagues to keep their own job "safe". So far, it's worked.

The cubicle walls are very short and it is easy to be distracted by noises and people walking by. This open "collaborative" work environment seems to be anything but collaborative. Open environment encourages workers to keep tabs on other workers whereabouts.

Promotions are not based on merit, they are based heavily in politics.

Lack of Transparency: the salary bands are still are not published. You will only get a true raise if you go and get a counteroffer. That is when the company will suddenly see value in you.

Advice to Management

Expand HR department
    Stop protecting/excusing the behavior of bad management

Sep 26, 2018 – SVP, HR

Thank you for your feedback and your contributions to MMA. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. We strive to create an environment where employees feel valued and... More