Marsh & McLennan Companies Certificate Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Marsh & McLennan Companies CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser

"Good company"

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

Great work hours, compensation and benefits.

Cons

Supervisors looking over your shoulder at all times. Production work. Could get fired if production not up to Marsh standards.

Advice to Management

Let people do their jobs!

Marsh & McLennan Companies2016-04-26

"Decent Job"

Current Employee - Certificate Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent job to get your foot in the door - decent benefits - friendly coworkers - casual dress code - work hours - connections built within the company & clients serviced

Cons

Boring and always quiet - no room for advancement must leave the city and/or state - computer equipment below standards and old - technology lacking - management - no incentives - no bonuses - living paycheck to paycheck - pay structure does not work for modern day maybe years back

Advice to Management

Uplift employees and offer incentives for meeting and exceeding monthly numbers and encourage an active and talkative environment.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2018-03-27

Marsh & McLennan Companies Response

April 2, 2018CHRO

Many of our colleagues actually find it a plus that the company offers the chance to move within the firm and across our businesses. We generally replace computers every 2 - 3 years and pay bonuses at many levels.

"BORING"

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great hours. ok pay. Ok location. Great cafe. People seemed nice there. Bathrooms were nice. You get to dress casual.

Cons

Too quiet. Too boring. I didn't last long. I needed speed and momentum. The training class was a joke. I fell asleep countless times. Power point training ALL day on a projector screen. Need more hands on. They expect you to take a test after two weeks in a classroom of nothing but ridiculous PowerPoints and expect to know everything and how to do everything by then and if you don't pass you apparently get let go.... Have someone more motivating for training classrooms at least to keep everyone awake. The quietness of the place is what got me. I like noise. I like movement. Fast pace. I was depressed seeing everyone boxed in cubicles all day looking miserable. Per the other reviews I'm glad I did not stay long as apparently it is difficult to move up the ladder work wise. If you like quiet and sitting at a desk all day this job is perfect for you.

Advice to Management

Need better training. Hands on. You're putting everyone to sleep with PowerPoints

Marsh & McLennan Companies2017-02-27

"Good "in-between jobs" job, but not much else."

Current Employee - Certificate Specialist I in Austin, TX

Pros

1. If you come from a background with little to no experience in a professional setting, this job is a great way to adapt yourself to a high profile business environment and it's an easy way to pad your resume with proven experience. 2. Benefits and perks are (slightly) better than other entry-level positions 3. Once you learn everything, this job is mostly exaggerated data entry. If you want something... relatively stress-free and mindless to do while you catch up on podcasts, this isn't a bad way to kill a work week. 4. Most of the people I work with are great and everyone here is nice 5. All promotions are done internally and there are opportunities for advancement pretty often

Cons

1. The benefits are good, but the pay sucks. The pay structure might have been good 10 years ago when they set it up, but it's not good enough now especially when other entry level jobs in the same industry are paying more. There are bonuses in place for people who meet certain metrics each quarter, but they're not great, they're dependent on a broken system, and they take advantage of employees (putting in the work... of 2-3 people should net you more than $200, guys). 2. The training process is a four week intensive program that a lot of people fail and most drop out of. That's not to say that it's difficult, but this job appeals to very few people who are intelligent and patient enough to stick with it. If you're actually self-aware and professionally focused enough to read this review before you apply to this company then you're smart enough to get this job and get through the training. Regardless, it's discouraging to work for a company that brings in relatively few people who want to stick around, and even more discouraging that the people who do stick around are sometimes (kind of) a mess. 3. On the corporate structure, our company is at the bottom. This means that any changes (like a department-wide pay increase or an upgrade to a glitchy, broken program **ten years out of date**) have to be approved by a corporate office that doesn't fully understand what we do or cares. The turnover rate for other departments outside of ours is pretty high so proving yourself to a higher-up and building a relationship can be pointless when they're gone a month later and they're replaced with a new person who just sees you as another faceless schmuck. Constantly having to define your role in this company over and over again even after you've proven your worth ten times over is incredibly demoralizing and defeating.

Advice to Management

Create more incentives or give higher bonuses to the people who pull more than their weight. If you can't keep people around then at least give more worth to the people who have stayed. Stop wasting money trying to train dead horses and invest more money in the people who are still around. Retaining good employees will be much more valuable (and cheaper) than hiring new ones.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2014-10-02

"Awful"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst/Certificate Specialist in Austin, TX

Pros

Benefits, benefits, benefits, benefits, benefits

Cons

Overworked and way under paid

Advice to Management

Show appreciation to employees who constantly go above and beyond and help retain accounts

Marsh & McLennan Companies2014-06-08

"This place will suck your soul out."

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the brokers were very helpful and I did learn a fair bit. Benefits were decent, vacation time was plentiful.

Cons

It was impossible to get a day off. My supervisor was unwilling to let me get one morning off to buy a house, but took two weeks off to go to Europe after half of our team quit. Often, he would swing by my desk before he left on for the weekend and pressure me to work weekends (just like the manager in "Office Space"). Training is terrible, and because the workload is so heavy new employees are given trial by fire.... No one is happy at Marsh in Austin, and the work environment is miserable.

Advice to Management

Show some appreciation for the little guys, create a real training program and put a bit of thought into who you promote as a supervisor or team lead.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2013-11-10
  7. "Ok job if you don't mind doing the same exact thing everyday"

Current Employee - Certificate Specialist in Austin, TX

Pros

Good benefits, 401k, easy job, quarterly bonus if you meet your numbers. If you like a routine schedule and don't mind doing the same thing every day with little change, then this is the job for you.

Cons

Monotonous, not very exciting. There is opportunity to advance to team lead and supervisor positions and to other departments within the Austin area but if you want to move into broker positions or other avenues of insurance you'll have to be willing to move.

Advice to Management

Give more of an incentive to do well and work harder, outside of a quarterly bonus. Have group outings and fun team building activities outside of work. This is a multibillion dollar company, you can probably afford to pay this department a little bit more.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2013-08-09
  8. "Certificate Specialist at Marsh McLennan in Austin, TX"

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Marsh McLennan was very welcoming when I started. I was excited to get benefits after 30 days. The people were nice and the Austin office is cool.

Cons

After 2 weeks of in class training, they give a test. I scored very close to the passing grade but they let me go. No wonder they are always looking for people. High turnover is what I gathered when I was working there. The pay is not good at all for the amount of stress.

Advice to Management

Management seems really nice. I think the Certificate Specialist tests should be a bit easier. The actual cases are less hard than the actual tests given.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2013-05-27

"Temporary"

Certificate Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

- Good benefits/paid time off/good management in our office - Work closely with a fun team - Easy way to gain office experience - Gain specific software experience

Cons

- Virtually no way to move up unless a supervisor leaves - Expected to understand insurance without every being trained about insurance itself - People with higher positions than us don't know how to do our job - proof they don't promote from within - Extremely high turnover. There are new employees all the time and current employees leave just as often - Paid next to nothing

Advice to Management

If you pay us more and get rid of the incompetent specialists, the attrition rate would not be so high and we would make Marsh a career - not a temporary workplace to gain office experience.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2012-02-14
  10. "Friendly work environment, but understaffed and not enough pay"

Certificate Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

The culture is great; full of friendly people, fun social events and very little gossip. Most of the managers, including mine, are wonderful and help make it a good place to work.

Cons

Unfortunately, the corporate office is always trying to cut our budget, which means no raises, and a too-small staff. Turnover is very high.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more through higher/fair wages and opportunities to earn more in the future.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2011-05-15