Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Marsh & McLennan Companies CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company really does strive to place work life balance for its employees (in 43 reviews)

• Great Benefits, Hands off Management Style (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance, technical equipments (in 22 reviews)

• Non-sales service roles are not valued either culturally or financially by senior management (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

Working at MMC has allowed me to stretch my wings and grow my career. I have moved through the company into so many different roles. Additionally, I have made life long friends and colleagues here.

Cons

Technology infrastructure is really dated and limits opportunities for business growth.

Marsh & McLennan Companies Response

Apr 2, 2018 – CHRO

Thanks for the feedback and we agree - our technology needs work. That's why we have kicked off a tech modernization project. You will see some significant changes to help make it easier to do your... More

2. "TAX ACCOUNTANT"

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

A lot of learning opportunities

Cons

take long time to get promoted

Advice to Management

None. None.

3. "Dynamic Synergy!"

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ongoing quest to drive diverse talent to success! Leadership is extremely engaged and rightfully strategic when looking out for colleagues, clients and MMC's future....I love my career here as it always presents challenges that grow me further!

Cons

Loosen up the purse strings (e.g. budget) more through a much deeper analysis of departmental/work stream needs.

Advice to Management

Continue the journey of providing more autonomous roles/careers where colleagues can enjoy the fruits of their labor (e.g. work/life balance).

4. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Vice President in Denver, CO

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People, Flexibility, Benefits, Work & Life Balance

Cons

Limited Opportunities to move up

5. "4+ Years and still loving it"

Current Employee - Support in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Support in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, work with great people who love what they do, I feel appreciated in my role

Cons

New to insurance before this position, not aware of wages at other firms to compare.

6. "Excellent Company & Excellent people"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The colleagues are great folks. The company really does strive to place work life balance for its employees. The benefits are excellent.

Cons

Communications between various teams within the company could be improved.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Keep the communications open with colleagues and keep requesting and utilizing feedback from colleagues.

7. "Corporate out of touch with work being performed"

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company with vast resources.
    Good opportunity to build knowledge and experience
    Good Benefits
    Interesting work

Cons

Performance reviews are on a curve so not all high performing employees will be rated as such. Even with an exceptional rating you cannot assume you will receive a raise. Good performers have gone 6+ years with no increase.

Opportunities to advance are low to none in the smaller offices unless you want to move to a major city. Job are often posted to the public (with outsiders hired) before it is posted on the company website, opportunities are not posted in the office.
    Work Life Balance is difficult. Workloads are high and overtime is not allowed for non-exempt staff as Marsh feels the work loads are doable. If you care about your clients, your choice is to work without getting paid or live in a constant state of stress knowing you are getting farther and farther behind. Non-exempt employees are often pressured to work when on vacation or home sick. Exempt employees often work 60-70 hours a week, and again working when home sick or on personal vacations.

Absolutely no training for new staff, non-self starters need not apply.

Moving towards open concept office space. This may be great for think tanks, but for the detailed work handled by the front lines, this set-up will reduce productivity and increase mistakes.

Advice to Management

Need more works to handle the day to day work and communication with clients. Although removing the many layers of management will help overall, unless there are more works to handle the grunt work, nothing will change.

Marsh needs to establish formal training that applies to every position in every office with resources available to conduct the training. Expecting the local staff that is already buried in work to handle training or letting the new hire figure it out themselves is not fair to anyone and especially not our clients.

8. "Enthusiastic at first but then you will see and feel the neglect in structure."

Pros

They do well with associate appreciation and great benefits.

Cons

Arbitrary work environment. Training needs developing. Lack of honesty.

Advice to Management

Providing material for training would be helpful.

"Middle managment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Middle Management in Redding Cen, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Middle Management in Redding Cen, CT

Pros

High quality people, good reputation in the industry, good place to get feet wet (just don't plan on staying if you expect to be paid more when you get promoted or take on extra work or responsibility.)

Cons

Don't know about all op-cos but Marsh U.S. has a completely dysfunctional pay system. Long term employee are taken for granted and not given decent pay raises even if promoted or taking on new responsibilities. Lower level managers are put in awkward position of paying new people more for same job then veterans because many long term employees pay lags way behind market. While company says pay is based on company results and will ad your individual efforts. the company resulted in managements mind are always so poor the raise and bonus pools are always so small there is never enough money in the pool to reward those that do extra or whose pay has fallen behind.

Advice to Management

Your long term employees are loyal to you, try to be loyal to them. You have acknowledged the pay problem, now do something about it before you loose more of your best talent.

10. "Great Starting Place in the High Net Worth Arena"

Current Employee - Client Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Hands off Management Style. Excellent managers who are flexible and when they feel you are responsible they don't hover. Flexible when needed at home. Great time off options.

Cons

Not too much to complain about.

Advice to Management

Keep doing as you have been over the last few years. The changes that have been made in our offices have been beneficial to everyone.

Marsh & McLennan Companies Response