Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 15, 2020

3.5
Marsh & McLennan Companies CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser
Pros
  • "I'm pleased I made to move to Marsh, I feel supported by my manager and have true work life balance(in 53 reviews)

• "Great job, great people, great benefits(in 41 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Senior Client Advisor"

Former Employee - Senior Client Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Marsh brand is a big name in insurance and carries a lot of weight with clients, carriers, and others in the industry. There are lots of resources available to you if you know where to find them. You will have access to many talented and experienced colleagues.

Cons

Change comes slowly in a large organization like this. There is little thought given to the size or makeup of the book assigned to you. Work/life balance issues. Management ranges from excellent to incompetent (and everything in between).

Advice to Management

Your greatest assets are the Marsh name and your employees.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-05-09

"Heart"

Current Employee - Confidential in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people, polite conversations about ideas and execution. Very understanding of family responsibilities.

Cons

Cumbersome decision-making, too many (unclear) approvals.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-09-24
  3. "Needs Improvement"

Current Employee - Continuous Improvement Engineer in New Berlin, WI

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work hours, some co-workers were amazing. Some just want you out.

Cons

Poor culture, always walking on eggshells and it feels like they are looking for you to fail. No praise for the accomplishments. If you are a Producer then you get everything handed to you on a silver platter.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees, if they are not happy your company will not be successful. Look at what other successful offices are doing in terms of culture (Minnesota) and follow suit.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2020-01-15
  4. "Not for the faint of heart"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Specialist

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits good. People overall are nice.

Cons

Leadership is close minded and does not foster trust

Marsh & McLennan Companies2020-01-04
  5. "Culture of Backstabbing / Wellbeing Depends on Happiness of the AD"

Former Employee - Plan Analyst in Troy, MI

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Terrific colleagues in AM, PA and IT departments.

Cons

Happiness of the Plan Analyst depends on happiness of the Account Director or as they're now called, VPs. That dependence on how ADs interpret the quality of work from the PA is not psychologically healthy. Furthermore, at least at the Troy, MI location, they propagate a culture of backstabbing and snitching. Corporate literally encourages ADs to keep track of every single thing that PAs do wrong and then promptly report it to the management, who then writes up a PA. Simultaneously, all the things that the a PA does right, are ignored. It is the norm for ADs to request last second changes on the client presentations and that will more often than not lead to a PA making a mistake. When a PA brings this up to the management, the management will just simply brush it off and say, "this is normal and happens all the time and you are still responsible for accuracy". Words cannot begin to express the backwards mentality of such a statement. Recently this organization has a mass exodus of employees and while they say they are going to look inwards, I doubt they'll find anything wrong. The adult defensive way is always going to be to double down on bad decisions. I doubt they will start encouraging ADs to abstain from asking for last second changes, I doubt they will get rid of the flawed PA review system that encourages snitching your own teammate! It is abundantly clear to me, that this approach creates distrust, dislike and paranoia. I would not advice anyone to go and work there as a PA or an AM. They have Prima Donna salesmen and women and management has a 100% bias in bending over backwards to keep them happy. Very disappointed in my stay at MMA-MI.

Advice to Management

Double down on bad decisions.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-12-22
  6. "Slow to change"

Former Employee - Client Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

- work from home one day a week (if manager approves) - lots of free food YUM - new office - completely renovated - most of the people are really pleasant and great friends - wants to improve culture and is trying

Cons

- everything depends on your manager, if you have a manager that has high turnover, which are most open positions, you will probably have a bad time - slow to change, there is a lack of adaption to a newer generation, they are trying but it takes forever to get anything approved - slow to promote, takes about 2-3 years to get promotes with minimal pay increases - low pay for the amount of work you have - lack of training - lack of consistency between departments - very old school, work your way up and get treated poorly until you can work your way up 10 years later - culture lacks transparency

Advice to Management

Start looking at why there is so much high turnover, train and promote employees! They will be so happy and feel appreciated. A true leader works for their employees, and doesn't degrade them when they dont do what they want. I had multiple managers and ran into the same issues, which tells me its more of a culture issue. In a bull market, you need to be competitive to retain talent, if not, high turnover will keep on getting higher.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-12-18
  7. "Some really talented people, just not management."

Former Employee - Vice President Operations in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Name recognition, good colleagues and mentors if you know who to align yourself with.

Cons

Poor management and high turnover. Lack of raises and managers who talk the talk, but not much else.

Advice to Management

Stop managing by spreadsheet from your ivory New York towers and get in the trenches and actually ask the people on the ground how things are going without any ramifications.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-12-17
  8. "MMC Company"

Current Employee - Senior Director

Pros

MMC is a great place to work. Leadership team is very innovative and inspirational. They have a very clear vision of where they would like to see the company in next 3 years. Due to its very diverse culture, fresh ideas are always welcome.

Cons

Health Benefits could be better

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-11-22

"Nice People"

Former Employee - Director In Corporate Center in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Senior management are accessible and approachable - Co-workers easy to work with - Friendly and nice culture, relaxed, with work/life balance

Cons

- Scores of good people I worked with were regularly let go in the MMC Corporate Center, mostly due to tight budgets, falsely cloaked as a "reduction in force" or the "position was eliminated" (when it was not) - Work environment gets stale because there is no investment in new programs, even inexpensive ones - There is no COO (the position doesn't exist) to drive excellence or set expectations for people to deliver; lots of people supporting you are nice but unmotivated

Advice to Management

- Invest in programs delivered by corporate service functions, even just a little goes a long way - Offer real learning and development opportunities (not a website with videos/articles) - Hold people accountable to deliver without losing the 'friendly/nice' culture

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-11-17
  10. "Great Job!"

Former Employee - Clerical Assistant in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies part-time for less than a year

Pros

Communication during the interviewing process constant, training is adequate for a job position

Cons

Technology is lagging but is advancing

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-11-19