Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marsh & McLennan Companies CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance did not seem to work (in 17 reviews)

• Long hours and very high demand and expectations (in 12 reviews)

"Retirement, Life/Health Specialist"

Current Employee - Retirement, Health/Benefits Specialist in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Retirement, Health/Benefits Specialist in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience and a way to get your feet wet in the retirement and health/benefits fields.

Cons

The "imrpovements" come from top down and middle management does a great job of pushing the disconnect from upper management to the front lines. Tools needed to complete the job are often works in progress themselves.

Advice to Management

TL:DR

"BORING"

Former Employee - Certificate Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Certificate Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours. ok pay. Ok location. Great cafe. People seemed nice there. Bathrooms were nice. You get to dress casual.

Cons

Too quiet. Too boring. I didn't last long. I needed speed and momentum. The training class was a joke. I fell asleep countless times. Power point training ALL day on a projector screen. Need more hands on. They expect you to take a test after two weeks in a classroom of nothing but ridiculous PowerPoints and expect to know everything and how to do everything by then and if you don't pass you apparently get let go. Have someone more motivating for training classrooms at least to keep everyone awake. The quietness of the place is what got me. I like noise. I like movement. Fast pace. I was depressed seeing everyone boxed in cubicles all day looking miserable. Per the other reviews I'm glad I did not stay long as apparently it is difficult to move up the ladder work wise. If you like quiet and sitting at a desk all day this job is perfect for you.

Advice to Management

Need better training. Hands on. You're putting everyone to sleep with PowerPoints

"On the Fence"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary and good people.

Cons

MMC MGTI is very interested in doing more with less. Teams are are typically very lean and salaried workers are expected to be be on call 24/7.

Advice to Management

Your people are your best asset. Start treating them as such.

5. "Tax Intern"

Current Employee - Tax Intern in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Tax Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies (Less than a year)

Pros

Good for the summer you are actually kept busy and assigned entities. You get to have responsibility and you actually feel like you're doing something.

Cons

Boring there after, don't really do much. The training before filling out the 5471s weren't that helpful either they could've been more helpful. The people could've been more willing to help too.

"Human Resources"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies (More than a year)

Pros

There are A LOT of resources. Good people around.

Cons

As you rise to the top in HR, you realize it's a struggle for power. Sexism is an issue.

"Hard work and innovation is not rewarded."

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good 'first job'
    Nice building.
    Lot's of talented co-workers.

Cons

Restrictive budget for hiring and promoting.
    Complaints about harassment go ignored.
    We say we love innovation but employees who create new tools and systems are not compensated.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on having the easiest, most rewarding job you can and actually try to develop your workforce. Most managers have seen their title change 4 times in 2 years, while everyone else is stuck with no opportunities.

8. "Customer Service- Call Center"

Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Advisor in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Advisor in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay. Great benefits. Work from home opportunities.

Cons

It was my first job after college. The calls are non-stop. You can't move from your desk. Everything is timed down to the second, including bathroom breaks. Calls are monitored and scored. There is no down time and this type of job carries a high burn out rate. I was miserable for two years. High stress. Little support.

Advice to Management

Be more available to answer questions. More breaks to just clear your head.

Marsh & McLennan Companies Response

Feb 4, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for the feedback. While being in such a structured and disciplined environment is really a good learning experience, it shouldn't be this stressful. We need to do better.

"Treasury Technician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible with your schedule.

Cons

You are just a number. They don't care about their employees.

Marsh & McLennan Companies Response

Dec 18, 2015 – CHRO

I would say that giving our colleagues flexibility is one way to show we do care. Sorry that didn't come through in your case.

"A Joke"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

Great pay! Terrible work environment, avoid at all cost. Even the pay can't make up for this crazy zoo. BEWARE

Cons

Everything is constantly changing, your basically adjusting every few weeks to new changes and procedures. Disastrous management!!! Run Run run away!!!

Advice to Management

Please get it together, constant changing of hands at the top. while everybody at the bottom is miserable.

"No real growth potential"

Former Employee - Insurance Broker I in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Insurance Broker I in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers, location, benefits and paid time off.

Cons

Absolutely the worst in automation. They try and develop systems that are created by those who have no insurance experience and they continue to fail. Forced to use local drives with an emphasis created for a paperless environment using only a document management system that has no integration capabilities. You will find yourself 15 years behind the curve if you ever leave.
    Management is allowed to be downright nasty as long as they dont mention any of the big protected classes. It was miserable!
    The review process is based on a bell curve. Not what you have done, but what your manager can argue for. One instance provided for a nationwide call with managers debating about who should receive a particular score. It wasn't based on performance. There should be no shame in telling someone they have done a great job.
    i am all for diversity, but in lieu of just celebrating the GLBT community, you should also celebrate those who are not, or who are not a minority.

Advice to Management

Look into some meaningful automation. It is past the point of ridiculous....for example "Marsh Way" epic waste of money. Take stock in young talent, you are missing the mark.