Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Marsh & McLennan Companies CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good company for work life balance (in 38 reviews)

• The company has great benefits and networking opportunities (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance did not seem to work (in 18 reviews)

• Can often seem like your voice isn't heard by senior management (in 18 reviews)

"Marsh & McLennan overloooking its Employees"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Washington, DC

Pros

Diversity of work and great colleagues. Marsh & McLennan truly has some of the brightest employees with brilliant capabilities and skill sets. In the day to day activities of work, these is rarely a time when I need some advise or a questions answered that somone doesn't have the answer for. It truly is THE BEST broker and truly offers its clients the broadest array of services and solutions. I am allowed much flexibility in doing my job and, when needed, time off to attend to the needs of my family. Work is varied and challenging and fun! I do like working for the company.

Cons

Poor communications relative to HR issues. Call this "constructive discontent! In the freedom mentioned above, many of us are left feeling like entrepreneurs - communications regarding performance reviews and salary increases are token - with a "big show" when done - and then little, if any discussion afterwards. Wouldn't you think a company as large as Marsh & McLennan would be able to do a better job at communication with it's employees about an area VERY important to each and every one? I believe we "miss the ball" here in this area and could generate much better performance amonst our employees if the company would do a better job at maintaining effective and sustainable lines of communication.

Advice to Management

I believe all people want to follow a leader that clearly articulates a vision and rallys the employees behind that vision. Many of my colleagues I've taked with feel a void in the meager ways that management communicates with it's employees. Marsh & McClennan doesn't focus enough on it's employees and focuses heavily on it's shareholders. Don't forget whe will get you that performance!!!

2. "Not Worth the Jump to MMC..."

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Boston, MA

Pros

Work/Life Balance is good. The local office in Boston had some of the best people to work with, both intelligent and professional, but always stayed grounded.

Cons

Although locally the communication was decent, senior management in the NY headquarters was not in touch with the employees that actually dealt with vendors and the high expectations of clients. In the worst of times, the best we got was a series of buzz words, and MBA/Executive level cliche phrases that meant nothing. Completely out of touch with what was going on locally. Could not keep a hold of young talent.

Advice to Management

They need to get people in NY that understand the insurance business and can lead this company back to where is once was. The level of expertise within the walls of the MMC offices is astounding. It's a suprise the more people haven't left. They need to stop young bright stars from leaving.

3. "MMC a place for your future, in the future!"

Current Employee - Office IT Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Office IT Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

On my team it is a great environment. We are in a dynamic time here and it's a constant change in operations. I like the challenge. I have found that may leadership will let me run my shop with very little interference and I have the full support of my bosses. That is a huge plus!

Cons

Politics are riff here between the Op-Cos. They do not like each other very much. Many of the leadership disapprove of the direction of the companies and are vocal about it.

Advice to Management

Your most valuable asset is not your stock price it is your people. You are in a people industry and you staff represent you. Act like it!

"Overall good company"

Current Employee - Client Representative I in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Representative I in Chicago, IL

Pros

You have access to lots of thought around best practices and technical information. As a data junkie I enjoy this most in working for Marsh. We have experts in lots of subject areas and have the best resources to offer clients. People work hard and I haven't encountered the ethical problems or political b.s. I've seen in other workplaces (the NY situation was in no way indicative of the overall culture).

Cons

Cumbersome time-consuming procedures that predate transparency, remote management (NY can't help but be out of touch with local needs), no agency management system and lots of wholesale changes of systems with no conversion of data or thought of how much time the new procedure/system will take. The training is catch as catch can unless you're a new college grad but a mentoring program is being put into place. When people leave they are never replaced in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

Why are we always reinventing the wheel? We're almost over informed the constant changes in personnel and meeting announcing yet more changes are disheartening after while. If more thought about the impact of changes on the ground was made (see downsides regarding data conversion and staffing) they might be more heartily embraced instead of us stalling implementation until the next inevitable sea change - this is unique to Marsh in my experience.

5. "A good place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

- Plenty of time off
    - Opportunity for growth
    - I would definitely recommend it to someone who is looking for balance between work and time off. Vacation days are plentiful and easy to use. MMC also provides an opportunity for growth and advancement. I would strongly encourage someone to work here if advancement and balance are their main goals.

Cons

- Slow to for changes to happen

Advice to Management

- Keep cutting expenses

6. ""Looking up....""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

There is a lot of long term growth potential, provided you work hard. Lots of bright people who are willing to share knowledge and experience for a variety of coverage lines. Lots of good exposure to clients in a variety of industries.

Cons

If working for a large company is not your cup of tea, then this could be looked down upon. There are varying aspects of working for a large company that can deter some people, but local offices make you forget how large the company actually is.

Advice to Management

Local Senior Management does a good job of communicating with employees about key issues. Given the Spitzer saga, Senior Management has done a good job of continuing to work to make Marsh the best broker in the world.

7. "Great place to work if you have the cojones!"

Current Employee - Client Advisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Client Advisor in San Francisco, CA

Pros

It's a huge company with the big opportunties that come with that - Marsh will support you if you want to change departments, change offices, change jobs - I know as I've done this several times! Marsh is good to good employees - you just need to be willing to be in charge of your career - Marsh encourages education and growth. If you find the right niche, you'll be very happy at Marsh.

Cons

Marsh is a huge bureacracy - long-winded forms are needed to do just about anything internal or external - there's definitely a "who you know" vibe at this company - you need to be aggressive and outspoken about what you want and where you want to go in the company - management will not guide you, you need to be able to guide yourself and this does not work well for everyone.

Advice to Management

Treat the lower level employees better - the lack of raises over the last few years is disheartening - morale is very low. The expense cutting is working, but is not pushed on the top as much as it needs to. Those that are not performing should be disciplined or canned.

8. "Marsh is a great place to take a long term view"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Resources and a solid group of colleagues who have held this firm together through some very tough times. The secrets of success here are honesty, hard work and keeping clients happy

Cons

Continuous reorganization and stress created by reorg actions and moves.

Advice to Management

Remember the people who have built and retained this company during the hard times. Too much "reward" has been bestowed upon the gladly departed and too little on those that have accepted no raises and other issues for the past four years. Recognize the ones who have made Marsh viable.

9. "lack of internal transfers make employees bored"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in San Francisco, CA

Pros

depth of knowledge in senior personnel

Cons

lower pay, lay offs leading to greatly increased workload & reducing ability to transfer within company

Advice to Management

Department managers should not make deter/not allow internal transfers. This is the only way to keep good people that are bored in their current positions.

10. "It's not the worst place I've ever worked..."

Current Employee - Client Advisor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Client Advisor in Nashville, TN

Pros

My position is stable (as stable as anyone's at any organization). I have been in the insurance industry for more than 25 years and Marsh is hopefully where I will end my career in insurance. Being in a smaller office has it's advantages - we are truly more like a family.

Cons

Hear that times are hard and raises will be minimal if at all - then we are bombarded with correspondence about new positions being created...

Advice to Management

Be honest. If times are hard for the "little people" they should be hard for the "big boys" too.