Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marsh & McLennan Companies CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance did not seem to work (in 18 reviews)

• long hours during close, no flexibility with WFH (in 12 reviews)

"Retirement, Life/Health Specialist"

Current Employee - Retirement, Health/Benefits Specialist in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Retirement, Health/Benefits Specialist in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience and a way to get your feet wet in the retirement and health/benefits fields.

Cons

The "imrpovements" come from top down and middle management does a great job of pushing the disconnect from upper management to the front lines. Tools needed to complete the job are often works in progress themselves.

Advice to Management

TL:DR

2. "On the Fence"

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary and good people.

Cons

MMC MGTI is very interested in doing more with less. Teams are are typically very lean and salaried workers are expected to be be on call 24/7.

Advice to Management

Your people are your best asset. Start treating them as such.

"BORING"

Former Employee - Certificate Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Certificate Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great hours. ok pay. Ok location. Great cafe. People seemed nice there. Bathrooms were nice. You get to dress casual.

Cons

Too quiet. Too boring. I didn't last long. I needed speed and momentum. The training class was a joke. I fell asleep countless times. Power point training ALL day on a projector screen. Need more hands on. They expect you to take a test after two weeks in a classroom of nothing but ridiculous PowerPoints and expect to know everything and how to do everything by then and if you don't pass you apparently get let go. Have someone more motivating for training classrooms at least to keep everyone awake. The quietness of the place is what got me. I like noise. I like movement. Fast pace. I was depressed seeing everyone boxed in cubicles all day looking miserable. Per the other reviews I'm glad I did not stay long as apparently it is difficult to move up the ladder work wise. If you like quiet and sitting at a desk all day this job is perfect for you.

Advice to Management

Need better training. Hands on. You're putting everyone to sleep with PowerPoints

5. "Decent company"

Pros

I really liked my colleagues.

Cons

Strict management structure in company.

6. "Principal"

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

Marsh has top end of town clients, so access to quality clients is fantastic.

Cons

Boys club mentality, lack of understanding that risk is not only managed by selling insurance policies.

Advice to Management

Understand what servicing a client truly costs!

7. "Moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative, client-centric, talented people, new CEO making a positive difference

Cons

Below market remuneration, too much bureaucracy, outdated technology, lack of innovation, ineffective sr. management

Advice to Management

Pay employees fairly, reward high performance in all areas of the business (not just the brokers), be innovative and make sound investment decisions based on facts not emotion

"MMC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large stable company with locations throughout the world. Limited use of outsourced IT. Opportunities to move around within the organization.

Cons

Does not stay currently with new technology. Does not value work/life balance. Too much cross departmental fighting. IT not viewed as a partner.

9. "Wouldnt recommend for IT"

Pros

Friendly people, decent pay and benefits,. not much more I can consider a pro

Cons

no opportunities for growth or career development

Advice to Management

Dont keep good performers bored and stagnant. Open opportunities for advancement and recognize achievements

10. "Tax Intern"

Current Employee - Tax Intern in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Tax Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies (Less than a year)

Pros

Good for the summer you are actually kept busy and assigned entities. You get to have responsibility and you actually feel like you're doing something.

Cons

Boring there after, don't really do much. The training before filling out the 5471s weren't that helpful either they could've been more helpful. The people could've been more willing to help too.

"Due diligence required."

Pros

Some real diamonds among the debris. Staff can be motivated. There are some very skilled contractor and employees. Not a sweatshop...

Cons

Highly risk-adverse corporate culture. The IT department is heavily outsourced and weakly managed. Instead of being goal or output driven, management is entirely process-driven. Department does not embrace any leading edge technology, open source or the cloud in any significant manner.

Advice to Management

Improve IT investment, strategy and portfolio analysis. One size doesn't fit all. Stop relying on 3rd parties for above. OR just bite the bullet and fully outsource your iT functions.