Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated May 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance did not seem to work (in 17 reviews)

• Long hours and very high demand and expectations (in 12 reviews)

1. "paper pusher for a managing director"

Former Employee - Paper Pusher for Chief Risk Officer in Urbandale, IA
    Former Employee - Paper Pusher for Chief Risk Officer in Urbandale, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the cafeteria and the rented building

Cons

Managing director has no idea what he is doing - lies, lies and more lies - the greater good should be called the greater farse.

Advice to Management

complete the outsourcing you started and go away

"It's a Swamp"

Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great managers. Great diversity unlike most insurance brokers.

Cons

No raises. Poor service. Money is in management not sales.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. All this outside talent you bring on board winds up getting canned anyway.

"Migraine Inducing"

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Even when trying to be objective, it is tough to come up with a positive.

Cons

False promises: From dual monitors to a new compensation plan, the only thing management followed through on was reworking the schedule so you're working unneeded overtime and more Saturdays.
    Underpaid: Low salary, no merit increases, horrible compensation for sales. I know of someone in the office who was making less than $100 more a paycheck after 6 years.
    No advancement opportunities: You will leave the company in the same role you were hired in at, plain and simple.
    Unprofessional Management: When your manager says "I don't play like that" in a meeting, you know you're in the wrong environment.
    Tardy occurrences: Yes, those things you got in high school for being 5 minutes late.
    Unreasonable: You have to use PTO for an appointment. You can only use that PTO and go to an appointment if there are less than 5 people (of 40 reps) taking the day off. How are you supposed to accomplish anything with that restriction?
    Management does not care about their employees: If it wasn't obvious from what was said above, there are plenty of other examples. Our input meant nothing. When forced OT was put on our schedule every Monday, there was no e-mail, no warning. We just showed up on that first Monday to find our lunch was cut to a half hour (it takes 20 minutes just to go out and get food), and a half hour added on to our schedule at the end of the day. Sure, an hour of OT is nothing. I worked 60 hours a week at my job prior to that. The reason I am upset is because the OT was not needed. We had no input on the matter. We would have all of the agents in our office sitting at our desks with no calls holding, just wanting to go home.

This may seem bitter, but when you wake up every morning dreading going to work and just praying for a way out, you know the company is run poorly.

Advice to Management

Your employees are adults, start treating them that way.

"Worst Job in my life!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Not family friendly at all, Managers unconserned with there employees. Lack of education on their Supplemental Insurances!!! I worked in collections for 2 years before this and would much rather work in collections than Marsh C.S.

Advice to Management

You should be on top of all insurances and be more family friendly!

"fear based culture of incompetence managers"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

zero expectations or account ability for mistakes, I never saw anyone penalized for making a mistake there, but people were continually criticized for doing their jobs

Cons

culture of fear and belittling, the angriest management team I've ever seen, much more interested in scoring points off of each other, than in contributing to the business

7. "Terrible!!!! They are liars and cheats and cost people a way of living and send them to the unemployment line"

Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No pros. Just be honest with your employees.

Cons

The cons are that they do not know how to conduct business. They obviously have taking in courses in marketing, sales or business administration. This is the most wasteful financial company ever.

Advice to Management

Hire people who have a desire to help the community in which they live in and not just volunteer because your name will get on the Marsh and McLennan newsletter. This company is so overrated.

"Very political"

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The managing directors and SVP are very thorough in what they know. They believe in their team of employees.

Cons

You should tell people when you are hiring them as an consultant vs. full time employee.

Advice to Management

Spend more time having belief in your employees. This firm could do so much better in their marketing efforts if they knew how to market ideas to their employees instead thinking of them as second rate citizens.

"NO RAISES AT THIS COMPANY FOR YEARS. Very little upward mobility. Low employee morale."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance. Decent benefits. Good office location.

Cons

This company fails to tell you when they hire you that they have "frozen" raises for the past 5 years. They mislead you by saying that annual raises are given, when that is not the case. Nobody except for senior management gets a raise at this company, and they are handsomely paid. The company's excuse is the economic situation yet the company is doing very well financially. Upward mobility is hard to achieve, and you need to be extremely political and internally connected in order to move up. This company remains an old boys club and the few women that do get to senior leadership positions are even worse then the men. Employee morale is extremely low. Everyone is exasperated about the "raise freeze" and the apparent hiring freeze on much-needed administrative assistants.

Advice to Management

Give your employees raises and make them feel valued rather than disposable. Put people who actually know how to "manage" in managerial positions.

"Very poor, no integrity, management stealing the family silver"

Former Employee - MGTI in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - MGTI in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A paycheck (but not very big...all the money goes to the top and to the shareholders)

Cons

No mobility, Leadership Team croneyism (they regularly lie for each other and circle the wagons if threatened by the outcomes of their own incompetence), no respect for NLD (next Level Down). The firm's codes of conduct (Greater Good) are routinely trampled.

Advice to Management

Replace the MGTI Leadership Team before they destroy the franchise

"In my 20 years in the IT industry, this was the worst experience I've ever had. You will work a minimum of 65hrs/week."

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

The people who stay are dedicated.

Cons

The amount of outsourcing to India is incredible. It's a security risk beyond measure, all customers, and employees of customers should take fair warning. All of your private data is sent to India via non-secure methods, included plain text email. Raising flags does nothing, because of a few managers getting kick-backs from the firm in India.