Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated May 30, 2020

3.4
Marsh & McLennan Companies CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser

"Toxic culture, workplace bullying, poor leaders, incompetent HR"

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Standard benefits and perks -Good location. HQ is in midtown NYC -You will meet some decent people

Cons

-Toxic culture which is reinforced by toxic people getting constantly promoted, while the honest and humble people leave or gets bullied out -Company is run by the old white men. If you are not part of the boys club, you are not going to get promoted or fit in -Lots of "leaders" who don't do any work but are getting paid a lot because they have been there for a long time, spend most of their time playing office politics -HR protects the c-suite and enables the toxic culture in every way possible. Formal complaints won't work. In fact, it will only make you a target and backfire. The only times HR will ever respond to anything is if it is reported in the press. hire people that look like them -Slow to evolve and still stuck in the past -Professional development & growth is nonexistent

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-11-11

Marsh & McLennan Companies Response

November 21, 2019Employee Engagement Manager

Thank you for taking time to share your candid feedback. At Marsh and McLennan, all managers are responsible for creating an environment where every colleague can work without fear of intimidation, discrimination or harassment. We strive to create an inclusive workplace where people can bring their full selves to work and freely share ideas. The company expressly prohibits all forms of harassment, disruptive, threatening, intimidating or bullying behavior. We are sorry to hear that your feedback doesn’t reflect these values. If you would like to provide additional detail to help us understand the concerns you have raised or report any specific incidents, please contact Marsh & McLennan Companies Employee Relations at 212-345-0044.

2. "Great company to work with. Very inclusive work space and policies."

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

Open space office setting which promotes comunicación between colleagues in the same team. Very diverse colleges community.

Cons

Not all senior managers adheres to open door policy.. Multiple management levels in the .org chart. You have to interact with multiple teams that have heavy work load which cause delays in your projects hence the cost increases . Particularly if you have contingency workers assigned to your project.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-09-27

"Every Day Could Be Your Last"

2.0
    Former Employee - Participant Services Representative in Norwood, MA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Average medical benefits, work would not follow you home at the end of the day.

Cons

I worked here for three years, started as a temp to perm, with promises of career opportunity. This has been one of the worst companies across the board I have ever worked for. The culture /environment was at such a level of extreme micromanagement and beaurocracy , that it was drilled into your head every day that one mistake or bad call could be your last. I never felt any sense of job security despite getting "promotions" with no extra pay. You were given 45 minutes (and not a second over) off the phones for lunch and bathroom breaks. If you ever went over, you would get a write up. Management would scare you with vague and undefined "write ups and errors" with changing criteria every day to the point where you would no longer know up from down or how to do your job correctly. You never knew how to do your job any given day. A coworker that had used all of their sick days and "break time" for the day was forced to come in while sick. While asking management what they should do to not get written up if they were feeling sick, they found them a bucket "just in case". The people that work there are friendly, but they all know how bad it is to work there, and are finding their way out. I was told other than unattainable incentives, I would never see a raise there after three years. I left on my own terms.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-10-03

"Good company - exciting technology environemnt"

Former Employee - Technology Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Global company, centralized IT (enabling a true big-picture and 100% responsibility for technology - work together with global team members.

Cons

Can be overwhelming to individuals who aren't used to working across time-zones (e.g. continental time zone) and/or working across cultural borders.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-08-29

"No promotions, no raises. Ever."

Current Employee - Business Resiliency Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very inclusive. Very gay friendly.

Cons

Raises don't keep pace with inflation, and they don't believe in promoting their own. Your career will die of neglect here.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-10-05

Marsh & McLennan Companies Response

October 13, 2019Employee Engagement Manager

Thank you for your feedback; we’re sorry to hear that you’ve had a bad experience at Marsh & McLennan. We’re a people business and retaining the best colleagues is essential to what we do. Your compensation comes in many forms, including ways to take care of your health, grow in your career and build financial security. We encourage you to reach out to your HR business partner with any questions or concerns.

6. "Baited and Switched"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome salary and benefits package.

Cons

No flexible work schedule Poor leadership No structure No organization No training

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-09-23

"Opportunities"

5.0
    Current Employee - Advisory Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

- great opportunities for growth - experts to learn from - great pay/benefits - some of the greatest accounts to work on

Cons

- not flexible work from home policy

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-08-06

"Good company."

Former Employee - Technology Manager

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits and good people.

Cons

Technology behind the times. Technology senior leadership disconnected from workers. Unrealistic workload. Doesn't care about truth, only about pretty reports skewed to tell what they want the board to see. Too many egos and politics. Poor cross-function communication. It's every man and group for itself.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-08-22
  9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Provides excellent benefits such as an HSA paid for by the company, generous vacation, working with high profile companies, reimbursement for designations.

Cons

Promotions can take too long at times.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-08-08
  10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Client Representative

Pros

They really take care of their employees and its a very organized relaxed work environment.

Cons

As a young person it may not be the corporate culture that you are looking for.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-08-07