Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated April 18, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance did not seem to work (in 17 reviews)

• Long hours and very high demand and expectations (in 12 reviews)

"NO RAISES AT THIS COMPANY FOR YEARS. Very little upward mobility. Low employee morale."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance. Decent benefits. Good office location.

Cons

This company fails to tell you when they hire you that they have "frozen" raises for the past 5 years. They mislead you by saying that annual raises are given, when that is not the case. Nobody except for senior management gets a raise at this company, and they are handsomely paid. The company's excuse is the economic situation yet the company is doing very well financially. Upward mobility is hard to achieve, and you need to be extremely political and internally connected in order to move up. This company remains an old boys club and the few women that do get to senior leadership positions are even worse then the men. Employee morale is extremely low. Everyone is exasperated about the "raise freeze" and the apparent hiring freeze on much-needed administrative assistants.

Advice to Management

Give your employees raises and make them feel valued rather than disposable. Put people who actually know how to "manage" in managerial positions.

"Very political"

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The managing directors and SVP are very thorough in what they know. They believe in their team of employees.

Cons

You should tell people when you are hiring them as an consultant vs. full time employee.

Advice to Management

Spend more time having belief in your employees. This firm could do so much better in their marketing efforts if they knew how to market ideas to their employees instead thinking of them as second rate citizens.

3. "Terrible!!!! They are liars and cheats and cost people a way of living and send them to the unemployment line"

Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No pros. Just be honest with your employees.

Cons

The cons are that they do not know how to conduct business. They obviously have taking in courses in marketing, sales or business administration. This is the most wasteful financial company ever.

Advice to Management

Hire people who have a desire to help the community in which they live in and not just volunteer because your name will get on the Marsh and McLennan newsletter. This company is so overrated.

"fear based culture of incompetence managers"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

zero expectations or account ability for mistakes, I never saw anyone penalized for making a mistake there, but people were continually criticized for doing their jobs

Cons

culture of fear and belittling, the angriest management team I've ever seen, much more interested in scoring points off of each other, than in contributing to the business

"Terrible HR Department"

Former Contractor - Recruiting Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Recruiting Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They try to value their employees by promoting from within. Working in recruitment I saw many times over that when a position would open up they would try to promote someone at a lower level. Compensation seemed to be competitive across the organization.

I had a good manager.

Cons

Technology is awful. The joke around the office is that if you start with a laptop on your first day then you're ahead of the game. Resources to help you get your job done are not easily accessible at all.

While I did meet some very nice people, I would say there were quite a large number of people I did not enjoy working with and I would hesitate to label a lot of the people there as "professionals". Many people are very catty, negative, quick to blame everyone else if something goes wrong, they tend to write unprofessional and snooty e-mails. A lot of talking behind each others backs (more-so than in other organizations). People are clearly over-worked and a lot of people seem to have a zombie-like look because they are worn out and don't want to be there. I don't think I ever really heard someone say they fully enjoyed working there. No one seems to know what is going on, responsibilities are often unclear and the question of "which department is this handled by?" gets asked VERY often. I'm not the only one that feels this way, many people that work there felt the same way.

I was on contract for 5 months and was miserable the majority of the time that I was there. They had me doing the work of two people then let me go and was told they were transitioning my responsibilities to someone else. I found out later they hired another temp to replace me? The quality of my work was fine considering all the things I had to deal with and keep track of, so that could not have been the reason to let me go. I was told that I was unable to log over-time hours unless those hours were prior-approved.

Had I been offered full-time employment I would have turned it down. I'm happier being unemployed than having to work in that environment. My advice would be to stay away and save yourself the headache.

Advice to Management

You have a culture problem in this organization. For a company that has been around as long as MMC you should have had your act together a long time ago.

"Worst Job in my life!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Not family friendly at all, Managers unconserned with there employees. Lack of education on their Supplemental Insurances!!! I worked in collections for 2 years before this and would much rather work in collections than Marsh C.S.

Advice to Management

You should be on top of all insurances and be more family friendly!

"It's a Swamp"

Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some great managers. Great diversity unlike most insurance brokers.

Cons

No raises. Poor service. Money is in management not sales.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. All this outside talent you bring on board winds up getting canned anyway.

9. "paper pusher for a managing director"

Former Employee - Paper Pusher for Chief Risk Officer in Urbandale, IA
    Former Employee - Paper Pusher for Chief Risk Officer in Urbandale, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the cafeteria and the rented building

Cons

Managing director has no idea what he is doing - lies, lies and more lies - the greater good should be called the greater farse.

Advice to Management

complete the outsourcing you started and go away

"Cliquish, Rah-Rah-go-MMC culture hiding wretched, unequal, BS treatment"

Former Employee - Research in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits were some of the best in the business

Cons

They are constantly saying 'they're the good guys, we care about our people'
    Blame game is the entire culture - blame the newest on the team
    Review process is brutal - they keep harping at you until you say what they want to hear
    It's never the culture, your boss or the team, it's you and if you don't 'admit' it, you're 'not a team player'
    The consultants treat everyone else in the company like dogs
    They want other types of professional expertise, then hire you and treat you like a canker sore until you leave
    They over-promise clients, take on projects they know nothing about - it's all bravado and BS

Advice to Management

Get a clue. seriously. Treat 'professional hires' and non-consultant staff like human beings. Realize that not everyone is 'drinking the MMC Koolaid' and actually sees how full of BS you all are

11. "Not family friendly at all!! Don't know their own accounts info."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Urbandale, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Urbandale, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money was alright. Cafeteria on site was usually very good.

Cons

Again,not family friendly at all. Don't know their insurance supplement plans like they should. Could take over 30 days to answer a customers question. Non-Caring management!