Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated October 1, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good company for work life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Solid Company; Well recognized in the market; Good Benefits; Amazing Place to Learn (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance did not seem to work (in 18 reviews)

• Non-sales service roles are not valued either culturally or financially by senior management (in 19 reviews)

1. "ok"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in White Plains, NY

Pros

Nice People to work with

Cons

No training offered to function well

Advice to Management

Offer training

"Better than some, worse than others"

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people on my team, and in middle-management.

Cons

Inefficient and unsympathetic "top-down" micromanagement. Too much emphasis on conformity and standardization, rather than providing an incentive to innovate. Low pay compared to equivalent position elsewhere in the industry.

Advice to Management

Use some of the $3B profit each year to pay a fair salary across all positions, not just brokerage positions.

3. "Overall satisfactory, room for improvement"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

Pros

Benefits & work-life balance are fantastic

Cons

Such a large company, salaries tend to be tied to how well the company is doing as a whole, not how you're performing

Advice to Management

Reward your employees

4. "Finance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manalapan, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manalapan, NJ

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worked there 7 plus years.. Decent Benefits. Salary Ok. Bonus offer to managers and up in my area, but other depts can get bonus at different levels

Cons

So much politics. More like who they like, and not what you know..

Advice to Management

Could have better upper management. Give middle level staff a chance.

"IT Desktop Support"

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits (although those are on the slide as of two years ago). I get a card and balloon on my birthday every year, hooray.

Cons

Compensation is poor. I just got my first 2% raise in two years; meanwhile, leadership of all the OpCos are constantly celebrating how well the company is doing and how much money they're making. Plus rent in my area goes up around 10% every year so I'm going to have to move my family soon because we can't afford to live and work here anymore. No emphasis on training or building new skills. Very difficult to move up in your career -- the only way is to wait for someone to quit because they're not being promoted either.

MGTI management has changed from being run by technology professionals to business professionals who don't understand how IT works. The option to work from home occasionally was taken away by these folks, meaning work-life balance just got much harder, particularly for those of us with kids. They also monitor the door security logs and Lync to see who comes and goes and when. You're not treated as a professional, you're a number who is assumed to be up to nefarious deeds at all times. Poor communication from management and when there is some kind of major shakeup, like the recent massive middle management layoffs, no explanations are given.

Red tape and bureaucracy is valued over customer service. Meaningless metrics are thrown in your face public-shaming style and yet there are no complaints by the end users themselves about our performance.

Annual reviews were done on some kind of sick bell curve and people's performance was discussed in meetings amongst managers who have no interaction with their subjects. There were only so many positive reviews that could be given out regardless of reality, which is absurd.

Advice to Management

Spend some time down with us plebes on the front lines. See how things really are. Go back to hiring managers who know the difference between a router and firewall.

6. "No work life balance"

Current Employee - Project Manager in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team environment and decent vacation.

Cons

If you work for Marketlink, expect to work 40+ hours per week and weekends to meet expectations. Because it is a newer platform within the Marsh brand, processes and procedures are very disjointed and unorganized.

Advice to Management

Realistically consider the time involved to perform a never ending list of "core job requirements". Or, be upfront and set the expectation with employees that to be successful requires 50+ hours per week.

"HR"

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities globally, diverse culture and strong management.

Cons

Fast paced environment with little work-life balance. Large corporate feel with lack in feeling a sense of reward & accomplishment. Benefits are below expectations as well, although compensation is okay.

Jan 8, 2016 – CHRO

The comment about benefits is pretty surprising. We just completed our all-colleague annual global engagement survey and the value of the benefits we offer scored close to 80% favorable. What I've... More

8. "Subpar"

Pros

High pay for Louisville are; lots of opportunity within the organization

Cons

Management in the Louisville location operates likes a call center rather than professional atmosphere.

Jan 8, 2016 – CHRO

Our teams in Louisville are critical to the sucess of many of our functional areas such as Finance and HR. In fact, their is a high degree of rigor in measuring and monitoring the work that is done... More

"Perfect for Type A Personalities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies (More than a year)

Pros

You are working at the top firm in its industry. Name recognition. Does well financially. Your colleagues are smart as hell, and everyone is a top performer. You will learn a lot.

Cons

Work life balance is nill. Pretty much everyone works 60-80 hours a week. It is a very "pass the buck" environment - i.e. no one takes accountability for their own actions - it's always someone else's fault. People do not treat each other well here.

Dec 18, 2015 – CHRO

Glad you are finding value in some of the fundamentals of MMC. Getting the balance between the volume of work and the resources isn't easy and clearly we aren't getting it right in your department... More

10. "Client Manager"

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Experienced and knowledgeable employees

Cons

Self serving local management
    Lack of growth opportunities

Jan 6, 2016 – CHRO

We are currently in the process of ensuring the open jobs are more accessable to our current colleagues. If you are interested in hearing about other opportunities please let me know. You can send an... More