Marsh & McLennan Companies Senior Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Daniel S. Glaser

"Great benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Louisville, KY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits are some of the best available to employees (health, paid time off, etc.). Wonderful co-workers.

Cons

Long hours, unreasonable work expectations, limited advancement opportunities (prefer to hire from outside the company), repeated layoffs.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-06-10
  2. "Associate"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Mercer is committed to hiring skilled employees.

Cons

There is often a disconnect between corporate leadership and local offices.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2015-09-01

Marsh & McLennan Companies Response

October 16, 2015CHRO

Getting the balance between "corporate" and the local offices is challenging. We are a company in 130 countries with over 1,000 locations so you are right, things get lost in translation. We have to work on that every day and can't lose sight of that.

"Survival of the Fittest and the Lucky"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Knowledgeable colleagues who know their stuff - Many opportunities to grow skills/learn - Challenging and varied assignments - Flexible working environment and often the ability to work remotely. -They have treated me well enough over the years that I have lasted 13 years so far.

Cons

- Luck of draw effect...some of the Pros depend on where you end up and who you work for - Workload can sometimes be overwhelming - Some of those knowledgeable colleagues are kind of hard to work for. - Performance Ratings system is a joke...rigged game designed to reward a select few. - If you're an expert and you deliver great work, it doesn't matter, you're still a second class citizen compared to the... colleague that made sales. -Company is run by bean counters who panic on a monthly basis about financials and demand billable hours forecasts from all Associates. -Career growth is difficult if you don't want to sell. Many people make it to Principal and then turtle up....doing the minimum to make their sales and revenue targets - 13 years here, but the trend to me seems generally negative. Salary, benefits, Bonus, and continued career growth, all seem uncertain

Advice to Management

Value the work first. Invest in the best people doing the best work and the clients will come

Marsh & McLennan Companies2015-03-31

"Ok companies, too much focused on cost cutting instead of growing revenues"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, good work-life balance

Cons

Pay below market average, low bonus (unless you are in the C-suite level)

Advice to Management

Be more engaging, reward talent, share vision with middle management

Marsh & McLennan Companies2013-01-29

"Senior Accountant, responsible for consolidating countries submission, which goes to SEC reporting in the end"

Senior Associate in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

The view of Hoboken, NJ office is just gorgeous, this is probably one of the season that I decide to stay in this company. You will meet a lot of nice and friendly colleagues in the company, which is a big plus.

Cons

The managers are the experts at what we are doing, but they lack the necessary management skills in general. In case of any organization changes or instructions to be distributed, you are literally sitting in the dark.

Advice to Management

I think appreciation and trust are the keys to keep the talents in your company. There are tons of talented ones in this organization, but I find the appreciation and trust somewhat lacking. For most of the time, only the upper level managers are aware of what is going on, the rest of the crew are kept in the dark, which discourage the engagement within the organization.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2010-06-16
  6. "Good MNC"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Sydney

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great clients and good exposure. Working on complex issues and tough problems. People are good.

Cons

Limited cross-functional experience available unless you are pro-active.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2017-11-14