Marsh & McLennan Companies Senior Vice President Reviews | Glassdoor

Daniel S. Glaser

"Incredible advancement opportunities"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President Marketing in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great culture for identifying and advancing talented individuals. Bonus and incentive packages, included continuing education and the possibility for some tele-commuting.

Cons

Travel exceeded 50% and no recognition of hours needed to get to appointments. Chicago seemed very much a satellite office and everything was driven by New York.

Advice to Management

I was there during a time of extreme workforce reductions which was upsetting to staff but hardly acknowledge by management b

Marsh & McLennan Companies2016-03-05

Marsh & McLennan Companies Response

March 9, 2016CHRO

Thanks for your feedback. Workforce reductions take a terrible toll on those who leave, those who stay, the families of our colleagues and on clients. Sounds like we need to do a better job communicating and supporting our colleagues who remain. You have my commitment to do better ...

"A Company Without a Soul"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good company to have on your resume. Also good to lend perspective to future employment. There are few places to work that are worse than Marsh.

Cons

Marsh is an expense focused company. They are unable to grow the top line at a reasonable rate so instead focus on controlling cost. Employee travel and expenses are so severely discouraged that it is difficult to gain a well rounded employee experience. As a broker you will not have the time or money to form a good client bond. As a marketer you will likewise be discouraged from creating a relationship with... carrier personnel. Raises are nonexistent among the rank and file, further evidence that the company is run solely for slow-growth margin. There is little pride in being associated with Marsh. Unfortunately, that part of J&H did not survive the transition.

Advice to Management

Wake up.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2018-03-09

"Worked for Mercer Administration for 41 years before retiring in 2014. Worked under 5 company names during my tenure."

Former Employee - Senior Vice-President in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good broker, good people. Employee benefits were among the best in the industry. Good business training provided a good environment for learning

Cons

Became to "corporate" and has been cutting benefits for employees lately. Does not care about their employees, too bad they are losing a lot of talented people.

Advice to Management

Value your employees

Marsh & McLennan Companies2016-11-17

"Morale taking a nose dive, no one seems to care."

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

Sharp Colleagues Great Clients Resource specialists Unique and engaging projects

Cons

Work life balance is a joke - consultants often on road 75% of time Lots of quality staff leaving Dated technology Arrogant senior leadership Poor or zero raises past 6 years Last year have seen a palpable shift from management whereby share price outweighs employee morale/satisfaction/burnout

Advice to Management

You are overlooking the contributions of your client facing staff for the sake of analytics.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2014-12-30
  5. "Good company with good people"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Work culture in the office

Cons

bonus is less than I would expect

Advice to Management

no current advice to managment

Marsh & McLennan Companies2014-01-03

"fear based culture of incompetence managers"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

zero expectations or account ability for mistakes, I never saw anyone penalized for making a mistake there, but people were continually criticized for doing their jobs

Cons

culture of fear and belittling, the angriest management team I've ever seen, much more interested in scoring points off of each other, than in contributing to the business

Marsh & McLennan Companies2013-07-23
  7. "Marsh is a great place to take a long term view"

Senior Vice President in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

Resources and a solid group of colleagues who have held this firm together through some very tough times. The secrets of success here are honesty, hard work and keeping clients happy

Cons

Continuous reorganization and stress created by reorg actions and moves.

Advice to Management

Remember the people who have built and retained this company during the hard times. Too much "reward" has been bestowed upon the gladly departed and too little on those that have accepted no raises and other issues for the past four years. Recognize the ones who have made Marsh viable.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2008-10-16

"Marsh & McLennan overloooking its Employees"

Senior Vice President in Washington, DC

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

Diversity of work and great colleagues. Marsh & McLennan truly has some of the brightest employees with brilliant capabilities and skill sets. In the day to day activities of work, these is rarely a time when I need some advise or a questions answered that somone doesn't have the answer for. It truly is THE BEST broker and truly offers its clients the broadest array of services and solutions. I am allowed much... flexibility in doing my job and, when needed, time off to attend to the needs of my family. Work is varied and challenging and fun! I do like working for the company.

Cons

Poor communications relative to HR issues. Call this "constructive discontent! In the freedom mentioned above, many of us are left feeling like entrepreneurs - communications regarding performance reviews and salary increases are token - with a "big show" when done - and then little, if any discussion afterwards. Wouldn't you think a company as large as Marsh & McLennan would be able to do a better job at... communication with it's employees about an area VERY important to each and every one? I believe we "miss the ball" here in this area and could generate much better performance amonst our employees if the company would do a better job at maintaining effective and sustainable lines of communication.

Advice to Management

I believe all people want to follow a leader that clearly articulates a vision and rallys the employees behind that vision. Many of my colleagues I've taked with feel a void in the meager ways that management communicates with it's employees. Marsh & McClennan doesn't focus enough on it's employees and focuses heavily on it's shareholders. Don't forget whe will get you that performance!!!

Marsh & McLennan Companies2008-07-28
  9. "Career development lacking"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Reasonable line management and good clients

Cons

Lack of career development, no 'cost of living' pay rises

Marsh & McLennan Companies2019-06-12

"Lots of opportunities if you are a broker"

Current Employee - VP-Senior Analyst in London, England

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Large company, involved in a wide range of markets. For brokers, opportunities to work aboard. Trying to become more diverse, some areas more flexible than others on homeworking, compressed hours.

Cons

Some areas still managed with people with 'old school' broker' attitude. IT infrastructure antiquated for a company of this size. If you are not a broker, don't expect a big bonus/pay rise/salary. Long hours in some areas.

Advice to Management

Sort out the IT and get rid of the managers who do not follow the values and culture.

Marsh & McLennan Companies2016-04-23