Marshall and Stevens Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark Santarsiero

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Work"

I worked at Marshall and Stevens full-time

Pros

Great management, a lot of teamwork, nice people

Cons

pretty far commute unless you live downtown

2. "Successful Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Marshall and Stevens full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very entrepreneurial, they give you opportunities to grow and to succeed.
    Those who are smart and have a desire to succeed do well.
    Great team atmosphere.
    Diversity of clients.
    Good Work/Life balance.

Cons

Weed out the bad hires quicker. Malcontents just provide bad reviews on Glassdoor.

3. "I have been working at Marshall & Stevens for 15 years."

Current Employee - Managing Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marshall and Stevens full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started with the Company 15 years ago as a financial analysis, and am now a Managing Director and head of the Healthcare valuation practice. M&S has been a wonderful place to work, provided incredible opportunities for career advancement, rewards its employees for initiative and self accomplishments, and offers a great work/life balance. These benefits are evidenced by our work environment and the personal/professional respect our employees have for one another.

Cons

The lack of negatives is evidenced by my present and future commitment to M&S.

4. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Marshall and Stevens full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Supportive staff and management.
    Easy going family culture.
    Very diverse customer base.
    Plenty of in-house expertise across all offices.

Cons

Long hours can cut into work/life balance.

5. "A Good Place To Work"

I have been working at Marshall and Stevens full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I feel my work and abilities are valued and appreciated. The health benefits are very good, vacation/sick/personal time is very good, 401k is good. The employees are professional and friendly. Management has always treated me well.

Cons

The commute is far, but probably no different for most people working in a downtown location at any company. I hear of other companies that give out a lot of free food and beverages, but they tend to keep your nose to the grindstone; I prefer to keep my nose intact.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

6. "Appraiser"

I have been working at Marshall and Stevens full-time

Pros

My experience with Marshall & Stevens was positive: I learned a great deal, I worked with top notch people, and I ultimately advanced my career. I have worked on many high-profile projects one would think is only reserved for the big four accounting firms.

Cons

The real estate practice has been moved to New York, and has slowly left the Los Angeles office.

Advice to Management

The firms best talent and people are the ones who have been here the longest. Make a point to retain anyone with promise. Try and stay more focused on a specialty, rather than branch out to many different disciplines.

7. "Administrative Assistant"

I have been working at Marshall and Stevens full-time

Pros

I worked for M&S for 19 years performing many different duties and advancing from clerical to management. After being gone for 9 years, I came back to M&S. It was like coming home. The people are as friendly and supportive as I remembered. The benefits are good and the pay is competitive. I look forward to coming to work every day to see what new challenges are in store for me. I love the team atmosphere here and in our other offices, knowing that someone will handle my duties if I am out of the office.

Cons

I have no negative comments.

Advice to Management

Continue the open door policy.

8. "Intern"

Pros

Small company environment
    Easy to grow

Cons

Lots of disconnect between management and employees

"Avoid At All Costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Marshall and Stevens full-time

Pros

Unfortunately, there are very few pros of working here. The only positive thing that can be said is that there are a number of younger employees which fosters a generally upbeat office feel. Other than that, there is almost nothing positive about this place.

Cons

There is a serious issue with management and the way that they handle their employees. All of the management deficiencies are communicated from directors to MD's as lower employees' fault, taking no responsibility for the poor management skills that are present. There is no opportunity for growth, the salary is a joke, and they couldn't care less about you or your personal life. The company's management have absolutely no moral integrity and they are incompetent at managing themselves, so don't expect them to be able to manage their employees. All of the competent management leaves because of the type of company that it is, and the turnover is higher than a fast food restaurant because no sane person wants to remain at this firm. There is an excess of low fee jobs, an abundance of low-quality work, and the expectation of high-quality results. There is no corporate culture, team building, or anything even close. There is no training either. Make sure to get everything in writing because management will go back and forth in their mind and invent scenarios to replace what actually happened or what was actually said. They will lie in order to maintain no accountability and will throw coworkers under the bus without hesitation. Overall, this place is a joke of a company that I can see collapsing in the near future.

Advice to Management

If management ever took advice then this section might be relevant. Unfortunately, management enjoys the perks of passing blame and holding no accountability.

"Lukewarm"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marshall and Stevens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, good culture, management wants to invest in their employees, and you can learn translatable skills

Cons

I have too many bosses, and each one wants my full attention at a moment's notice; work becomes repetitive