Marshalls Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
Cons
  • And there's that obnoxious hard push for credit cards (in 103 reviews)

• Minimum wage pay; very hard to advance; (in 78 reviews)

"Managers love to choose favorites"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA

Pros

- You get a 20% discount sometimes.

Cons

- If you're not loud and an extrovert the managers will treat you like crap.
    - If you request days off the managers will be mad at you for weeks.
    - Managers allow employees to bully other employees without any consequences.
    - Horrible schedules. One week you get 5 days with 8 hours shifts. The next week you only get 1 day with 4 hours.
    - They say everyone has a cleaning shift at least once but it's always the same 4 people.
    - Managers hold grudges like children.

Advice to Management

Treat ALL of your employees like people, not just the ones you think are fun.

2. "Never again"

Former Employee - Cashier in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Renton, WA

I worked at Marshalls part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

$12 an hour, busy usually and etc.

Cons

everything management and co workers need to behave professionally

Advice to Management

Stop giving favoritism

3. "if you like"

Former Employee - Merchandise Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Marshalls part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Probably not any, to be honest. It's not even worth working here as a student, although I will say that sometimes you can score free meals here and there. Maybe the discount could be beneficial if it wasn't as low as 10% off.

Cons

Everything you need to know about Marshalls is down here. There is little to no room for improvement if you're an employee. The turnover rate is unbelievable. This was probably the worst job I've ever had, next to Chick-fil-A. I wouldn't recommend working here to anyone.

Reason #1 - Lack of Leadership
    The store I worked at had no general manager when I joined, so there was hardly any strong leadership. Not that you need a general manager for that, but the "assistant managers" possessed no leadership skills and the store was being closed by coordinators on a daily basis. The higher ups came in every now and then to have meetings about the store and didn't do anything to help. It was a terrible environment, but it is retail.
    Reason #2 - Lack of proper training
    When you sign up for this job, they throw you on the floor with literally no training. Even other companies such as Kroger have training but when you have orientation all they show you are some horrible videos on how unions are bad. That should tell you something... Which brings my next point
    Reason #3 - Corporate dictatorship
    You will feel like a working peasant by being employed here. The policies are constantly changing like the clothes in the store and even the customers can notice it. If you ever been shopping at a TJX store wondering why some of the employees were rude, it might be because of the little pay and terrible, terrible pressure to make credit applications.
    Reason #4 - Bad, pitiful scheduling
    Some employees complained that the managers had no idea on how to schedule people. Now this, I partly agree with, and that's because the scheduling isn't their fault. It's the company's horrible strategy of cutting costs like healthcare and benefits by only allowing part-timers to work an average of 20 hours or less. What the heck is that? You can't even survive with this job as a second job because your hours fluctuate all the time. Believe me, I know. I had this as a second job and it was just stressful.
    Reason #5 - Stress from work
    This job is just a total pain to deal with. If you are looking for extra income, don't be surprised if this job pushes your buttons. Not only does the company force employees to get credit apps, there is also the drama, the management, and the customers you have to deal with on a constant basis. Now I've met some really cool customers, but shouldn't you try a bit harder to conceal your accessories? If this corporation wasn't so cheap they would at least hire security more often because my store didn't have any.
    Reason #6 - Favoritism among managers
    Okay, managers are people. I get it. But scheduling someone 10 hours or less just because they aren't friendly with you? Don't take someone off the schedule and then tell them to come in when you need them. But that's just scheduling, there was an employee who worked here and she didn't get the position she wanted to work in but when other people got hired they put them in the area they wanted to work in. What is that?
    Reason #7 - Low pay
    I made more money working at Chic-fil-A for $8 an hour doing 25 hours a week then working for $9 an hour averaging 20 hours or less. And this is definitely not a place you want to stay for the rest of your life.
    Reason #8 - Discount
    All it does is take away the tax. That 10% discount should be enough to let you know that this company is cheap and filled up to the top with liars. They are liars and you are getting trash quality. 90% of the stuff here is manufactured for outlet.
    Reason #9 - Breaks
    Breaks are dumb, at least for me. 15 minutes of doing nothing productive. Change it to an hour lunch, not 45 minutes.
    Reason #10 not to work here:

If one stays at the same level, you cannot explore the next. There isn't really much incentive to get promoted from earning $9 an hour to $10 an hour and having twice the amount of responsibilities. Please don't apply.

Advice to Management

I don't really have much to say here. Better to let this uncaring, shallow, and terribly vacuous company go to the pits.

5. "DON'T WORK HERE IF YOU LIKE RESPECT"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Westminster, CO

I worked at Marshalls part-time

Pros

I worked at Marshall's for 4 months and they let me go because 1. I complained about another manager and 2. My 1 year old daughter was in the hospital and I had to miss 3 days of work.
    Seriously though, I loved the other associates and the job itself but the managers are the most disrespectful people I've ever met in my life. Currently disputing this with the district manager and he is upset as well. I am also going to the EEOC because I have never been treated so poorly and so fake. Don't do it. The pay is definitely not worth the crap they put you through and how you're treated. $100 a week? I mean come on.. Definitely not worth it

Cons

Management, pay, complete disrespect and favoritism.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like dirt. When I was hired I was told that you treat all of us like family. The way I was treated is the complete opposite of that.

6. "Love/Hate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New Philadelphia, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New Philadelphia, OH

I have been working at Marshalls part-time

Pros

I find moving product the way we do awesome! Deals are great! Used to have flexibility on hours, but that changed.

Cons

Management is not open anymore, nor approachable. The hours suck new people get more hours than people who have been there 3 years! Favoritism is a big issue, and no room for growth. They stopped working with my availability and I lose what little hours I get because of it. All I can say is stay strong!!!

Advice to Management

Honestly be more approachable, and willing to work your long term employees

7. "Prejudice in a Melted Pot"

Former Contractor - Maintenance in Hollywood, FL
    Former Contractor - Maintenance in Hollywood, FL

I worked at Marshalls as a contractor

Pros

The store looks beautiful and things run like a well-oiled machine.

Cons

There are so many people who speak just a little English and judge people on skin color they thought I was Latino in Florida and I speak only English from Ohio. They called me floor sweeper and toilet cleaner told me they didn't care how fast I had to work to clean dust and fecal material I was just milking the system. They said it all around me. To each other. But thought I could only speak Spanish. I called them out on it. Made a formal complaint. Tried to give 2 weeks notice but was bullied for 3 days as being a poop cleaner with a management degree. I was doing a favor for a friend to take the job but it was one of the most horrendous experiences of my career.

Advice to Management

There is a harrassment guideline in the handbook. Translate it to your foreign employees. And make management stick to it. All chiefs..and even us lowlife Indians.

"Merchandise Associate"

Former Employee - Merchandise Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Merchandise Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Marshalls part-time

Pros

Staff was easy to work with and most customers were pleasent to deal with.

Cons

Lack of hours and recovery was very hard. Job was repetative, resigned due to finding better employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Dont accuse employees of not doing their work when all we do is bust our tails!

9. "Shoe Cordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Streamwood, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Streamwood, IL

I worked at Marshalls full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees was amazing to work with health insurance was very affordable.

Cons

They have you doing everything for not that much pay . The management sucks they are very ungrateful and they often under Schedule. Full time you will never go over 35 hours.

Advice to Management

Stop being so quick to write people up with out fully investigating . Be more of a team player not just a boss that blames the workers because your not doing your job right.

"Pay sucks"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Marshalls part-time (More than a year)

Pros

10% associate discounts 20% discount for associate appreciation. Got first pick of items before they were placed on sales floor. Working late shifts sometimes were fun

Cons

Working on holidays. Rude customers . Late shifts especially weekends were a drag. Messy store on the weekend. Long lines and very busy

11. "Cashier/customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Jamaica, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Jamaica, NY

I worked at Marshalls (More than 5 years)

Pros

Greeting and engaging and building a relationship with your customers.

Cons

Not enough staff lack of management.

Showing 158 of 1,256 reviews