Marshalls Reviews | Glassdoor

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Too much pressure to sell credit cards (in 121 reviews)

• My only raises in two years were government mandated minimum wage increases, yet new hires were starting above what I made with far more experience (in 87 reviews)

1. "Nice experience"

Pros

Working on Marshalls it's good, they have a great costumer service and nice products, the staff it's really friendly and everytime we are working as a team.

Cons

To much pressure for the credit card goals it's the only thing that sometimes the managers talk about, some costumers are really rude just because

Advice to Management

Stop pushing so much over credit card, some people need training on improve some skills at job

2. "We're All Friends Here"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Salisbury, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Salisbury, NC

I have been working at Marshalls part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Marshalls is a great place to work. The work environment is friendly and upbeat, everybody knows each other and gets along. We help each other and work as a team, even on the most difficult days of the year when our store is flooded with customers things go smoothly. Despite being in a location where there isn't that much traffic this store stays busy but everyone is really good at keeping up. Working here is as easy as breathing and because of the positive environment. We definitely focus on good customer service which is not as important at other chains.

Cons

While the corporate culture is great, the company stresses their credit card and employees are required to get a certain number of cards a week. The goals for these cards are in no way sustainable or reasonable and upper management keeps pushing to get more which only makes it harder. Getting the card isn't that hard, although only 1 out of every 100 customers you talk to will say yes and even then most of them will probably change their mind because it''s not referred to as a credit card and when they realize it is they don't want it. During the slower seasons this isn't as big a deal but during the holidays we were expected to get several hundred cards a month. (not individually but as a whole) The company is very selective about who gets to move up, expect certain people to get promoted within weeks of being there and others to suffer in silence.

Advice to Management

Focus on customer service and relax with the card goals, our store is in small town and very few people want this card. This will make us a lot happier as employees.

3. "Great While in College"

I worked at Marshalls part-time

Pros

Easy, No Stress, Accepting Environment

Cons

Poor Pay, Unpredictable Hours (Or Lack Thereof)

4. "Very flexible and good pay."

Current Employee - Merchandise Associate in Lexington, SC
    Current Employee - Merchandise Associate in Lexington, SC

I have been working at Marshalls part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting pay with very flexible an accommodating scheduling. 10% discount along with 20% discount weekends every so often. Friendly associates and managers.

Cons

Technology is outdated and makes simple tasks become difficult. Temperature is controlled by corporate so it is often very hot in the store.

Advice to Management

Update our technology!!!

5. "Cashier"

I worked at Marshalls part-time

Pros

First to see products coming in
    Free lay-a-way

Cons

Employee discount in my city doesn't cover sales tax
    Often times short staff

Advice to Management

I would consider lowering ticket prices to the absolute lowest, such as many big retail companies (Target, Hope Depot, etc) do, to clear end of season items. Also, I would add the ability to look for items at different locations and give customers the opportunity to pay their credit card payments in store.

6. "Key Carrier"

Former Employee - Key Carrier in Midwest City, OK
    Former Employee - Key Carrier in Midwest City, OK

I worked at Marshalls full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great incentive programs, flexible scheduling, a lot
    of opportunity for advancement, really thorough training, the benefits were great as well.

Cons

Hours can get cut when sales get dry, and if you aren’t a full time associate you have no guaranteed hours. Very few full time positions available.

7. "Customer Care Coordinator"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Marshalls full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great friendly, supportive team and management. Flexible schedules. Room for advancement when you show your work ethic! Provide employee incentives and treat employees to luncheons once in a while.

Cons

Just the pay. Employees should be paid at a much higher level if hired with previous experience.

Advice to Management

None. Keep listening to your employees concerns! They all do such s wonderful job!!

8. "Customer Experience Coordinator"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator in North Reading, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Coordinator in North Reading, MA

I have been working at Marshalls full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Part of management, earned authority.

Cons

A lot of picking up people’s slack.

Advice to Management

The coordinators who do more should have their pay adjusted.

9. "Nice employees- Nit picky managers"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Marshalls part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like the working environment and coworkers were super nice

Cons

Management only focuses on the employees that get customers to sign up for TJX credit cards and never praise the employees that go above and beyond in all the other departments making sure every customer leaves satisfied.

Advice to Management

Just because some employees don't get customers to sign up for credit cards doesn't mean they aren't trying their best in the other departments. Make ALL your employees feel appreciated and pay more!

10. "Cashier at Marshalls"

I have been working at Marshalls part-time

Pros

Very flexible, friendly managers and coworkers, cross-trained in multiple departments so you can be scheduled anywhere

Cons

RAE DUNN SHOPPERS, employee discount is low, required to promote TJX credit card as cashier, given a script for fitting room. Customers will cut you off or be rude when you're asking about the card, and they'll be offended when you're counting items in the fitting room after they just told you how many they have.

Advice to Management

I know our managers have their own bosses, so this is more for corporate: please don't be upset at us and our managers when we can't get TJX. We try our best and it's mentally draining after 4 hours, let alone 8. We can't force people to sign up if they don't want to. As for the fitting room script, please get rid of it because customers take it the wrong way when we "make sure everything is perfect" for them. They act like we think they're liars, we're judging their fashion choices, or we think they're stupid.

Showing 390 of 1,545 reviews