Marshalls Reviews | Glassdoor

Carol Meyrowitz

1,401 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • And there's that obnoxious hard push for credit cards (in 110 reviews)

• Starting pay is minimum wage without much raise (in 83 reviews)

"Dont work at Marshalls"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dearborn, MI

Pros

They have many incentives to get you extra money. You can call on employee theft for a 350$ reward or if you catch someone stealing you get 25$. You can enter contests by doing a good job such as ticketing missmated items and picking up clothes on the floor.

Cons

Minimum wage, you will work nonstop all day, pay should be at least 9$ an hour for the amount of labor involved. They will train you in every department so your always business, most of the time you are required to do work more than one area WHILE being called to the register for price checks, and being a cashier. Sometimes this will prevent you from finishing your own job. You will also clean up after other employees.

Advice to Management

I felt the environment at Marshalls was very unprofessional. I would fix an area in a few 8 hour shifts just to have to take it all down the day after and rebuild it back up. One of your policies is to only touch things once to improve efficiency, in my assignments from management Id touch things about 20 times in a week. I spent most of my timing changing projects I just started because management changed their minds.

"Worst Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

Pros

loved being able to help customers with questions on helping to find an item.bringing out new merchandise so that it gets shopped

Cons

Management is aweful.I can understand that they are high up but when you dont have proper coverage you expect management to either fill the coverage or come and help us out.

Advice to Management

do something other than sit in the office

"a sweatshop that offers brand names and designer fashion at ridiculous WAGES for the entire family!"

Former Employee - Associate in Royal Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Associate in Royal Palm Beach, FL

Pros

co-workers behind the scenes are good people who work very hard for pennies and receive not one benefit. they always have openings since on average people stay a couple of months until they can find a real job that pays a real wage with enough hours to buy groceries that week. few employees have the skills that would help them move on, so those that stay are the slugs, the recent immigrants or those with a sweet deal doing bare minimum. since everyone is p/t, you're lucky if you work 18 hrs a week, the bright side of that is you have enough time to continue your search for a real job and get out of there.

Cons

dismal management,no training. they are more concerned with hangers then ringing sales, so if you're that customer complaining about the lines, bla bla, figure out what's going on and take your complaining to management not at the new person trying to help you. back breaking work if you are not at the registers. did i mention minimum wage, no benefits, a 10% discount on crap merchandise? my cat would do a better job running the place and would have more respect for employees. schedules are meaningless since they change them at will almost everyday and then they don't tell you! what's your point? I've witnessed grown people in tears because their schedule was changed and they were not told, they 'missed work' and then they received a warning...? another fine example of unqualified management. their mission statement is 'the economy is terrible and if you don't like it here, there are 100 people wanting this job' they should frame it.

Advice to Management

what goes around, comes around. senior management knows what's going on and encourages this crap. the lack of decent working conditions and respect for those you have working for you is pitiful. taking advantage of local unemployment conditions that happen to be in your favor today is just bad karma. Good luck with that business strategy!

"Bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, CT

Pros

Money and a discount that's basically it they treat you badly and don't consider your personal life so one reason to work at marshalls Is money

Cons

They dont treat you fair they don't give you long enough break times and they give you bad hours so that's it/

Advice to Management

Try being more interacted with the crew and being nicer wouldn't hurt either . It's not just about being strict and mean

"This is the worst place I ever worked--Looking for a JOB"

Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Close to home, discount, decent hrs if your full time, benefits. Employees friendly and helpful when they have time.

Cons

Once the management changed the store went to pot. the operations manager, who didnt do that job well, got promoted to merchandising mananger...she did that job even worse.
    did you ever see what plaid pants and striped shirts look like together on a rack?? Well that occurred on a daily basis.(shes now back to being the operations manager) She also has no repsect for anyone in the store. Employees or customers.
    As for the new store manager,(2 yrs) She talks down to everyone. She doesnt realize that without us, she wouldnt have a store. The new merchandising manager is great., but no one in the store would even miss the other two! Very degrading place to work. DM really dosent care either. And hire some cashiers. work cannot be completed in unreasonable times if your running register all day

Advice to Management

Treat us like human being..we have feelings and deserve to be respected.

"not grate good for hs job"

Former Employee - Clerk in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Auburn, WA

Pros

flex hrs availbale to wrk

Cons

boring place to work not much to do

Advice to Management

care more aobut your employees

7. "It's a job."

Pros

This is a retail job. With that said, semi-flex scheduling. Did i mention the scheduling is flexible. Oh and you receive a discount on goods.

Cons

Again, this is a retail job so the pay is low, there is super micromanagement. There's no room to grow. If you want to grow, you best find another company to work for.

Advice to Management

Provide better pay, training, advancement opportunities. Something to motivate people beyond what they are currently doing..but then again if you did that,...they'd leave.

"horrible."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Pasadena, TX

Pros

RAndom 20% discount free layaways.

Cons

everything, managers treat you like crap, coordinators complain to much customers are so rude, and no tto mention the scammers. the first year i worked there was good i had a decent manager however when he left it all went to crap, everyone that i started with quit becuase of how they treated us.

Advice to Management

be fairer, dont treat them like they are crap talk about them behind their back and definately do not critisize them in front of other associates.

"WORST JOB EVER"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN

Pros

very flexible scheduling, getting paid every week instead of every two weeks, friendly college kids that keep things pretty fun

Cons

management is incompetent, low pay, being a coordinator and doing 10x more work than everyone else as well as write ups, and verbals for only $1 more in pay, no organization, no cashiers, no hours (supposedly), company does not care about it's employees, if your lucky .25 cent raise a year, expects you to do way too much more than you have time for, absolutely no over time (so really absolutely no way to get everything done they expect), sweating your ass off because you have to call someone across the country to change the thermostat, giving the customers whatever they want so they walk all over you, no gratitude shown by management for all the work you do, expected to get credit apps however absolutely no incentive other than to wear jeans and maybe a coke that costs .75 cents, no meetings so no one ever knows what is going on, barley any training for new people, management doesn't need a degree or any kind of education (which is VERY clear once you work with this management team).

Advice to Management

The Marshalls in Evansville, Indiana needs NEW management. I've never worked in a retail store where you ask THE STORE MANAGER (not an assistant manager) a question and she didn't know the answer.

"Never getting more than 20 hours."

Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Merchandising Associate in Tampa, FL

Pros

Good first time job.
    Scheduling is never an issue.
    Easy to find someone to cover your shift(since no one is really getting hours we'll all hungry for them!)

Cons

Won't give me a shift longer than 5 hours.
    I average about 10 hours a week. Only 10.
    Can't support myself with the small paycheck.
    NO FULL TIME.
    None of the customers that come in speak English.
    I swear my store has no air conditioner.
    Always the only person on the floor.
    Too many areas of the store for one single person to handle.
    Won't train me to be a cashier.
    It's hot.
    I'm inside and sweating worse than I would outside.
    Customers complain about the heat and how dirty the store is.
    Someone left a comment on a review site about my store smelling like "urine", which it does.

Really, I can go on.

Advice to Management

Ok. First off, please please please MAKE IT LESS HOT. I understand that I'm working and I will of course build up a sweat. But I have to go into the bathroom and wipe myself down sometimes because it's so hot. Hire new cleaners.

Showing 1,401 of 1,415 reviews