Marshalltown Medical & Surgical Center Reviews in Marshalltown, IA | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Registered Nurse"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Marshalltown, IA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Marshalltown, IA

I worked at Marshalltown Medical & Surgical Center (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good healthcare benefits, great staff and co-workers. Salary was comparable to other organizations. The workplace was close by and convenient for winter driving.

Cons

At one time this establishment was a self contained organization. Administration and the powers that be chose to piece out the individual departments to private companies. This was detrimental to the ability to provide state of the art care to patients. This also affected the pride workers previously had in their workplace. Also add the reduction of experienced staff who were arbitrarily removed from their positions.

Advice to Management

Questionable actions do not create faith in the stability of an establishment, nor does it encourage patronage by the local population when the question of quality care for themselves and their loved ones is not a certainty.

"what's going on at MMSC?"

Current Employee - Administration in Marshalltown, IA
    Current Employee - Administration in Marshalltown, IA

I have been working at Marshalltown Medical & Surgical Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At this point there are no pros to working here. 10 years ago I loved my job, loved my co-workers I would have said the benefits and work environment were the best! and would have never thought of leaving. that has all changed the last few years since the recent administration took over.

Cons

Every one has lost faith in senior management, outsourcing is on the rise it has affected about 4 departments now and every one is afraid for their jobs, there is a hiring freeze employees are leaving and not being replaced making it very stressful on those left, and yet they are building a huge new facility, despite what the community thinks! Employees are being out right treated by Directors. " any one caught or overheard saying anything negative about the situation at the hospital will be met with disciplinary action" that is a direct quote from a director in a meeting I attended about 8 months ago!

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees want! Get rid of the outsourcing, bring our jobs BACK to Marshalltown where they belong! I do not know how but you need to start getting the respect of your employees back. there seems to be a total air of you just do not care about the employees, just the money. Where is the Board in all of this? they are supposed to be our community leaders? The board needs to wake up and take a stand about what is happening in that hospital.

3. "Good experience in a smaller hospital"

Current Employee - Respiratory Therapy in Marshalltown, IA
    Current Employee - Respiratory Therapy in Marshalltown, IA

Pros

The department is always willing to work with your schedule.Pretty good training especially for those just coming out of school.

Cons

Need personal monthly training to keep up on new and equipment that is not used regularly. Raises are not seen very often, so loosing good workers is seen often.

Advice to Management

Honor those that have worked in the field and have done a good job. Get doctors that are willing to run ventilators, as to keep the income in our hospital