Marshfield Clinic Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Susan Turney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Your pay and benefits are usually provided without question" (in 4 reviews)

• "Retirement Plan, Good pay, Flexibility" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "They spend an enormous amount of time micromanaging and focusing on minutia that they miss the forest for the trees" (in 3 reviews)

• "Small town mentality means that they are very risk averse, and this shows in the decades old technology that they still use" (in 3 reviews)

1. "CMA"

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time

Pros

Good management, positive change, uplifting environment

Cons

Older doctors unwilling to change

Advice to Management

Keep it up

2. "Mixed emotions"

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist
    Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits package and can get them at part time.
    Depending on your manager and team, it can be a nice place to work.

Cons

If you are acquired in a merger (ie like I was from a hospital and they transitioned all of us to clinic employees) and then later you are downsized, you don't get to keep all your years of service to be counted for severance. When we transitioned, we were promised that our years of service would be counted and we wouldn't lose anything, but we just found out that the entire transcription staff is being outsourced, and for those of us who came with an acquisition, our severance only goes back to the date of our transition to MC.

Very little communication about direct impact to our departments. There's lots of communication about big-picture stuff like acquiring other hospitals and about physicians getting grants for various things, but when it comes down to the things like knowing our department was going to be taken over by an outsourcing company, many had no idea. Since the management of the hospital that I came from was great about communication like that, I had an idea it was coming, especially when they transitioned an entire speciality over to MModal to take over the backlog that was created from poor management decisions (ie hiring freeze on transcription, not even allowed to replace those who had left the company, and apparently starting to train transcriptionists on another job position but then reversing that decision after spending a fair amount of time taking transcriptionists away from the real work).

The entire atmosphere of the workplace changed after being acquired by Marshfield, at least after they rearranged the administration that had fought so hard to keep our hospital the amazing place to work and be cared for (top 100 hospital in the NATION 2 years in a row!). After our CEO and VP were pulled into other positions in the Marshfield system, Marshfield's policies encroached more and more, and now it's no longer the happy family that cared about patients and employees. Now it's polices, policies, bureaucracy, bureaucracy, red tape, red tape, red tape.

Advice to Management

Share real information with the peons, even if it's not set in stone. We can understand it when you say, "This might be happening, but it could change in the future." Pretty sure we can figure out that it's just a heads up that change is coming in one form of the other. Don't blindside the majority of your staff.

Don't promise "you don't have to worry about your jobs" and then less than a month later make a mandatory meeting announcing everyone is being outsourced.

If you're going to outsource everyone, make sure there's some sort of tuition reimbursement option because obviously transcription is a dying profession.

Don't promise things you don't intend to deliver. Make it clear in your acquisitions that even if you've worked at that organization for decades, it means nothing to Marshfield Clinic.

Put a little more effort into making employees happy too. Don't just focus on physician satisfaction. We're the little guys, but we make everything run smoothly. Good luck getting the amount of knowledge with MModal that you're losing now.

3. "Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Marshfield, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Marshfield Clinic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, benefit, company is now growing and branching out to hospitals offering more opportunities

Cons

Fear of position being cut

Advice to Management

Listen to those doing the work

4. "Pharmacy Technician Wausau"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wausau, WI

I worked at Marshfield Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schedule was predictable, worked no holidays. Benefits good

Cons

Wage, bullying being allowed after we had been told it was not allowed.

Advice to Management

Human resources and other managers don't wait so long after and interview for a job. Be open and allow accommodations for employees that have correct documtations.

5. "AC"

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic part-time

Pros

Great company to work for with some really friendly employees. Always opportunities to learn new things

Cons

When situations happen Management doesn’t always seem to go through the proper channels.

6. "Work Assessement"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rice Lake, WI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rice Lake, WI

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Managers are as flexible as they can be. Health benefits are competitive. 401k contributions are competitive. Pay is competitive.

Cons

They have become very corporate. It's often unclear on what to report and to whom. Streamlining departments and cutting staff is making for stress and overwork for the current employees.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging. Have confidence that you have trained your staff well. Check in once in a while with appreciation.

"Business Analyst"

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time

Pros

Relaxed environment, did have challenging work

Cons

Upper management and leadership just didn't know what was going on and could not make a decision when it came to IT.

8. "So So"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, nice co-workers

Cons

High turn over rate, employees feel not listened to or important

"Avoid the IT department...sinking ship"

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time

Pros

Great benefits if you were hired before they were taken away.

Cons

Due to massive reorganization and the cancellation of the main project most of the talent is fleeing the company or already gone

Retirement benefits for recent hires and future employees was slashed from 11% to 3% (thousands of dollars).

There doesn't appear to be meaningful projects coming for the forseeable future

Favoritism. Meaningful work is hoarded by senior employees or handed to select individuals making it extremely difficult to feel a sense of ownership or pride.

Leadership is not transparent

Your future isn't decided with you in the room

Low morale

No vision

Leadership makes jokes about everyone quitting

Anti young professional..MCIS leader makes mean comments about how millennials may have children and are therefore not as valuable to the company because having a life would cost too much

Marshfield

Advice to Management

Be honest. Share opinions.

It's easy to lead in good times, but how you lead when things are bad says a lot more

IT made a lot of positive changes, yet is treated like garbage, just because the organization couldn't scope a project properly doesn't mean that the employees did anything wrong

10. "Pharmacy Technician"

I worked at Marshfield Clinic full-time

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay, helpful co-workers,

Cons

Stressful, must know insurance, repetitive work,