Marshfield Clinic Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Susan Turney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very nice and flexible working environment and benefit, very good work/life balance and for the family especially family with kids (in 5 reviews)

• Your pay and benefits are usually provided without question (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Health care is not what it used to be (in 3 reviews)

• The Bad: You will be told what to do by a bevy of clip-board nurses who love to tell physicians what to do (in 9 reviews)

1. "Overall good workplace."

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time

Pros

Overall good people, good teamwork.

Cons

Some departments have leadership issues.

Advice to Management

Know your people. Listen to your people.

2. "Optician"

I worked at Marshfield Clinic full-time

Pros

Great company. Pay is very good. Willing to work with you when it comes to hours and personal working needs.

Cons

As with any large company, there will always be politics. Drama in certain departments is unprofessional

3. "nurse practitioner"

Current Employee - APNP
    Current Employee - APNP

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

plenty of work to do to the point of being overwhelming

Cons

Overworked, underpaid. Assembly line patient care. They base pay/merit on pt surveys, not care given. Benefits are terrible as well; insurance is very costly .. very poor dental, almost non-existent vision.
    Too many chiefs over too few underlings. I haven't had any pay raise in 2 years, my nurses keep getting more and more work piled on them ..
    I would _not_ choose this place. APNPs have NO place at the table whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the patient surveys!
    Give a place at the table to NPs - stop calling us mid-levels when we are doing physician-level work.
    Pay the NP their worth; stop the blood-letting.
    Stop micro-managing small clinics.
    Too many chiefs!

4. "Research Foundation not a healthy work environment"

Former Employee - Research Foundation in Marshfield, WI
    Former Employee - Research Foundation in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Marshfield Clinic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting work although not as innovative as marketing and press releases claim.

Cons

Scientists allowed to bully staff and even management especially if they bring in high levels of funding. If you plan to be there more than a year or two be prepared to stroke egos and look the other way when others are targeted. Also don't criticize or question the scientists or administration.

Advice to Management

Even with new administration it's the same good ole boys club. Advice? They won't take anyone's advice

"Beware"

Pros

Good physical plants. Your pay and benefits are usually provided without question. Usually located in quiet, trouble-free communities. Collegial relationships at the physician level.

Cons

The Bad: You will be told what to do by a bevy of clip-board nurses who love to tell physicians what to do.
    You will have evaluations based on patient satisfaction surveys. The only problem is that they have no idea about the statistical validity of the surveys. That still won't keep them from affecting your pay and harassment though. The surveys also drive the patients nuts.
    If they make any promises regarding equipment, facilities, personnel or working locations, don't believe it unless it Is put in writing. The failures and broken promises are legion. Make sure any promises are in your contract with a good bailout for yourself if they don't follow through. This is very important especially if you need up-to-date technology. Otherwise you will likely be working with 20-30 year old equipment unless you are at a chosen location. Don't believe assurances not in your contract.
    They will likely give you a MA to assist you and you will have no choice in the matter.
    The Ugly: If you decide to come here, keep your mouth shut and work at an average pace for the first 2 years. If you work too hard you will make your colleagues jealous because you will make them look bad. Do not under any circumstances criticize the establishment in your department. Even in quality assurance setting if you point out poor/inappropriate practices it will be held against you. Protecting the status quo is more important than quality in this organization. Remember they can (and will) blackball you for up to 2 years no matter how devoted you are to patients and the organization.
    These are the most disingenuous senior administrators I have ever worked with. The mismanagement was so bad that they lost all 3 otolaryngologists in the Eau Claire area leaving only an excellent NP to run the whole local practice. They expected her to see patients at a faster pace than physicians and with no direct supervision. She fell behind in documentation so they suspended her for a week. When she used the week to get caught up on her dictation because of her devotion to her patients and the clinic, they FIRED her. That is not a typo. They FIRED her. You're not supposed to be working while you are suspended. Sit in the corner facing the wall and think about your inadequacies for a week. You can't make this stuff up. Only this clinic could.
    I have reasonably direct knowledge only of anesthesia, dermatology, otolaryngology, radiology and orthopedics. I can't comment on other departments.
    As a caveat this is my opinion and from information from what I would consider good sources. You will need to verify it for yourself. Your experience may be different. It is important to talk with anyone who has left a similar position in the clinic for the past several years. They may be fearful to give too much information but ask if they would work there again. More than one long time, hard working surgeon has relocated because of their management.

Advice to Management

You need to replace yourselves with a group with good management skills.

6. "Felt like I was making a difference for the patients"

Former Employee - Appointment Coordinator in Rice Lake, WI
    Former Employee - Appointment Coordinator in Rice Lake, WI

I worked at Marshfield Clinic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the job and co-workers.

Cons

management was more concerned with opening new centers that taking care of the ones they had

Advice to Management

Quit taking benefits away from employees.

7. "Overworked and Underpaid"

Current Employee - Certified Medi in Eau Claire, WI
    Current Employee - Certified Medi in Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

More than half of the staff are friendly.

Cons

Its a factory. Things must go quickly - the more patients they can squeeze into a day the more money they collect. Its a race that works if you can do the work of 1.5 people for maximum profit.

Advice to Management

Listen to complaints about specific employees; especially when the complaints are about the same specific employees and multiple reports indicate a PROBLEM.

8. "Not sure"

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After 2 yrs the retirement

Cons

How they look at pay scale

Advice to Management

Really take a closer look at the employers in how hard they work and what they deserve.

9. "Cardiac Cath Lab Manager"

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time

Pros

Level II trauma Center in a safe community. The clinic is growing so lots of opportunity for growth.

Cons

While the community is safe, it is small and not a lot to do. Pay is somewhat less competitive.

Advice to Management

If you want to recruit to the community, offer better pay incentives.

"Takes less than a year..."

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

"Some" of my extremely professional and well adjusted co-workers
    The work schedule most of the time
    SAD, isn't it, two pros? I wish I had more, I guess I need to give it time.

Cons

It takes less than a year in an entry level position to echo many of the same comments made by many others in higher level positions. Where do I start: lies, deceit, manipulation, favoritism, entrapment, and terrible lack of leadership. From day 1 in orientation it was impressed upon us how important work life balance is, though a 17 year veteran can't get a 1/2 afternoon off but her team lead only having 3 years on can approve themselves the afternoon off. What about being understaffed, too busy budget cutting because we need to conserve every penny for the new hospital. The department hasn't even been made aware whether a coworker that retired is going to be replaced or not. Pull it together leadership, lack of communication and deception to your current support staff is a HUGE reason for the large turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Start thinking and acting like leadership, there are several other people out there who think brighter, act smarter and respond more intelligently because they have plain old common sense on how to treat others. By others, I mean, physicians, co-workers, other leadership, support staff and most importantly our patients. Remember, you go to your grave with your reputation. What's yours going to be?