Marston's Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Marston's CEO Ralph Findlay
Ralph Findlay

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The support I received from my area manager was unbelievable and with his help I was quickly fast tracked on to the deputy programme (in 5 reviews)

• flexible hours, lots of holiday, fantastic people, great experience - excellent job while at uni (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low wage, usually minimum wage resulting in younger staff getting paid less for doing the same job (in 10 reviews)

• work very long hours, and they always want more from you (in 5 reviews)

1. "Not a bad stop gap job"

Pros

good atmosphere
    Lots of flexibility in shifts

Cons

ended up with poor discount on shift meals

2. "Great company"

Current Employee - Multi Site Manager in Wolverhampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Multi Site Manager in Wolverhampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Marston's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family like culture with people At the heart

Cons

Only general hospitality quibbles really

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

3. "My interview was amazing, I felt so comfortable and loved every minute which is uncommon for a interview!"

Current Employee - Server/Waitress in Sidcup, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Server/Waitress in Sidcup, England (UK)

I have been working at Marston's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I haven’t yet started but there are many benefits such as a Marstons card and all the other employees seem so happy & welcoming. I also get a couple days training where before the restaurant opens, my family & friends will come in so I can get used to waitressing & the system!

Cons

I think £4.50 for the hourly rate is a bit less then what I hoped for but as I’m only 16, this is probably why.

Advice to Management

No advice I could give as you get the opportunity to climb the ladder, such as the lady who interviewed me, she told me all about her past with Marstons & how she is now training to be a Manager after just 4 years

4. "Waitress"

Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Marston's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly team
    Able to return to the job during each university vacation

Cons

Paid at minimum wage
    Zero hours contract

5. "Manager very rude and mean, hours consistently cut so would have to go home after doing 1.5 hours of a shift,."

Former Employee - Waitress in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Waitress in Bristol, England (UK)

Pros

The customers were really nice and gave me tips but you don’t have time to build up actual rapport as you’re understaffed

Cons

Everything else was horrible - no training, treated like you’re a piece of dirt, expected to know everything and like you can do a million and one jobs at once. Obvious evidence of favourism as well. understaffed (only two waitresses for the Sunday roast for the whole pub!!!!) next to no training and expected to know where all 50 tables were within two shifts

"Do Not Care About Employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wolverhampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wolverhampton, England (UK)

I worked at Marston's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CEO
    Marstons House
    Easy to make friends
    None
    None

Cons

Harassment and Bullying is not dealt with
    Company culture
    HR
    Management
    Pay

Advice to Management

Marstons used to be a great place to work, with company values and cared for it’s employees. However, if you are junior/middle even at a managers level within this company do not expect to receive any kind of help if you find yourself in a position when you are been harassed by a senior member of staff (as I did). Having suffered with stress and anxiety from the bullying I was receiving from my manager (who has quite senior) and confiding in HR I soon found that “the apple cart didn’t want to be upset” and nothing was resolved and the bullying continued and I eventually left but wasn’t allowed to tell anyone so no-one found out. I was underpaid massively and the company culture has declined in recent months more in parts like finance where people are expected to work like robots. Marstons is a fantastic place to work if you don’t ever find yourself with a problem with senior members of staff - if you do you may as well quit while you’re ahead. The pay is poor compared to the level and amount of work you put into the job. HR are almost corrupt with how quickly they want to protect certain staff and brush issues under the carpet. No appraisals and little opportunity - the way I was treated at Marstons still affects me today and the company just doesn’t care - would hate for anyone to go through the same as what I did.

7. "Awful !"

Current Employee - Front of House in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Front of House in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at Marston's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

20% discount on food.

Cons

Awful place to work, giving 100% and being happy with your customers tends to get you nowhere with the management. I have felt bullied and victimised into resigning, I have never been treated so unfairly in a work place than here, hours cut weekly in order for the fat cat management to buy their new cars! Avoid at all costs. Food hygiene is terrible, I would never step foot in the place to eat again !

Advice to Management

Get new management in!

8. "Worst ever"

Former Employee - Bartender in Brockenhurst, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Bartender in Brockenhurst, England (UK)

I worked at Marston's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The inn itself looks good.

Cons

- Mentally unstable, extremely aggressive manager who was screaming with her employees without real reasons and tends to lie a lot.
    - Assistant manager, who was stealing alcohol from the inn`s stockroom.
    - They provide live-in rooms which are clean but tiny and one bathroom for about 15-20 people, which was made out of a wardrobe and it`s dark red walls are fully covered with mould.
    - They expect you to work 10-12 hours, 6 days a week during the season with one hour lunch- break. If you have to go to the bathroom for more than 5 minutes, you are in trouble. If you can`t work more than one day because you get sick or anything, the manager would threaten to fire you.

9. "Second chef"

I have been working at Marston's full-time

Pros

20% off marstons anywhere with card they provide.

Cons

Not paid enough...People try to use you.. over worked.. not appreciated. Low pay. Sometimes I don’t get a break year a hour will come out if my wage.

Advice to Management

Pay staff especially the chef who runs the kitchen a decent wage. This is why people leave all the time.

10. "Part time job at marstons"

Former Employee - Sales and Services in Dunbar, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales and Services in Dunbar, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Marston's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay, most of the staff were friendly and helpful to new staff, chances to progress up

Cons

Poor management, unorganised - did not recieve rotas till the week before, sometimes even the day before, minimum wage pay