KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

3.4
Marten Transport Chairman, President, and CEO Randy Marten
Randy Marten

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good pay and home time(in 30 reviews)
  • "Good benefits!(in 13 reviews)
  • "Good people to work with.(in 8 reviews)
  • "based bonuses (quarterly)(in 4 reviews)
  • "Good money honestly if you stay out.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Marten Transport and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work

Jun 14, 2022 - Logistics Coordinator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay Good people Takes care of employees

Cons

Nothing really, supply chain is crazy

1 person found this review helpful

Recruiting

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to leave us this review and we hope you continue to enjoy working at Marten!

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Routine disappointment

Sep 11, 2022 - Driver in Wilsonville, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Polite (home base) dispatchers. 99% easy holes. You can choose WHICH days of the week for home time. Excellent quality customer stops.(refer fleet mostly food means nicer facilities) Tractor at home if reasonably secure location. Excellent pay. (based on conversations with many random drivers) Excellent equipment and maintenance. (compared to other companies) Road Service (emergency repairs) is EXCELLENT but you need to be calm and polite and it helps to remember their names and to thank them.

Cons

New hires will replace you on runs you enjoy so your job deteriorates. (this is probably because the large sign-on bonuses are like an investment) Overnight dispatch is clueless, less than helpful somewhat rude. You WILL receive impossible dispatches AFTER your dispatch has gone home. Unspoken need to violate Hours Of Service (HOS) to complete on-time deliveries which is a HUGE financial risk for a humble Truck Driver. After 11.5 months of faithful service my 4 days on, 3 days off was switched to 5/2, that 4/3 is why I signed on in the first place. (but I was allowed to choose the 2 week days my wife of 42 years is home also) As you slowly prove you can do increasingly difficult tasks you are assigned mostly difficult tasks including: 1 to 4 AM pickups and deliveries, impossible dispatches where the customer punishes the driver (you) for being late, absolutely no way to get to home time off without going into violation. Are these bad things because the industry is in a bad place ? I talk to drivers from random companies and our own drivers every day, and the consensus is that, yes things have deteriorated for the average driver. For my first few months with Marten I thought I had a happy job, but it's gone to heck.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company

Sep 19, 2022 - OTR Company Driver in Cape Coral, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

All pros. Pay is good. Detention pay is always there.

Cons

No cons. Its all good.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Avoid!

Jun 3, 2022 - Local Truck Driver in Jurupa Valley
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing. They don't even pay PTO or vacation Time til you're there for a year. They don't even give a real raise and watch you as you suffer with the world getting more expensive, stuffing their pockets with the money they charge customers for freight increases.

Cons

They think that 1300 a week is really something in California. We are living in poverty while the CEO racks in his millions of dollars off our backs! This company has constant turn over here and they wonder why. Pay is trash! My dispatcher is rude and speaks down to me like I am one of his illegitimate kids. They make you stay with them for 6 months or you have to pay back the "bonus" that was given spread out over that time period back. Waiting for this 6 months to pass so I can get out of this place. I have never worked for a company that treated me so poorly. Reading other replies from corporate its clear they just copy and paste replies and assume that recruiting cares or even answers the phone. What is recruiting going to do about it? nothing. Avoid this place.

Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Your benefits actually do begin on the first of the month following 30 days of employment and we do begin giving out PTO after 6 months of employment. Often, we are not provided with enough information in a review to resolve the issue, such as a driver's name, account, fleet manager, etc. which is why we suggest calling us or reaching out to your fleet manager to provide further information. We greatly appreciate all of our drivers and everything they do for us. We are sorry that you do not like the t-shirts we provide yearly as well as the yearly appreciation gifts, pens, hats, Pilot Gift Cards, giveaways, etc. and a week of catered meals on top of that. We would love to hear any suggestions you might have for more ways we could show our appreciation! Thank you :)

5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Decent Starting Point, Not Great for the Long Haul

Jun 23, 2022 - Logistics Transportation Coordinator
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Decent starting pay - Good starting point for those trying to get into transportation / logistics - Senior leadership is reasonable and personable - Goal and merit-based bonuses (quarterly)

Cons

- High Turnover - Mediocre Benefits - Poor leadership skills among Lead Coordinators - Minimal work-hour flexibility -work 40-50hr weeks, after hours , 1-2 weekends per quarter and holidays (most federal holidays are unobserved). -Senior leaders want you to stay, lead coordinators make you want to leave -A certain Chief Executive shares lots of politically-charged, half-cocked theories and opinions throughout the organization; especially pertaining to the COVID19 era (Oftentimes comes across as less-than competent).

Recruiting

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a detailed review. We will pass this along to management for ways to improve.

6. 4.0
    Former Employee

Good dispatchers

May 20, 2022 - Sales Associate/Cashier
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Their Peterbilt suck suspension doesn't drop rear cross bar is on top frame do you hit the cross frame and bend it and end up busting it and costing you you job as unpreventable accident after 3 times and was told it's common on those trucks do refuse to drive the Peterbilt they have unless they have a suspension drop on it

7. 4.0
    Former Employee

Decent job

Aug 17, 2022 - Truck Driver
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots home time options and guarantee weekly pay.

Cons

Limited accounts in some places

Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We appreciate the feedback and are glad you enjoyed driving with Marten!

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good

Jul 27, 2022 - Regional Delivery Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Weekly salary, benefits, flexible routing.

Cons

2 strikes your out. Peterbuilt tractors air tank really small making docking in tight areas difficult. Lose air quickly, causing transmission to shut down until tanks recover air pressure.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee

M

Aug 9, 2022 - Truck Driver in Tampa, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Not bad to start driving

Cons

Not enough money to make stay

Recruiting

We are glad you are enjoying driving with us, please reach out to your Fleet Manager with any concerns you are having!

10. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

just alright

Aug 2, 2022 - Fleet Manager in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

the pay is decent. they will work with you at times about working from home. typically promote from within.

Cons

they expect more from you than what is in your job description. they are not willing to work with you on ever changing your schedule even if it makes sense. they have their favorites and if you dont agree or at least act like you agree they will blackball you from any further promotions

Viewing 1 - 10 of 251 Reviews

Marten Transport Reviews FAQs

Marten Transport has an overall rating of 3.4 out of 5, based on over 259 reviews left anonymously by employees. 65% of employees would recommend working at Marten Transport to a friend and 65% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Marten Transport employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Marten Transport. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

65% of Marten Transport employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Marten Transport 3.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.1 for culture and values and 3.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Marten Transport to be coworkers, benefits, compensation and the cons to be culture, workplace, management.

Popular Careers with Marten Transport Job Seekers