Marten Transport Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marten Transport Chairman, President, and CEO Randy Marten
Randy Marten

Pros
  • Paperwork is easy, good equipment well maintained (in 10 reviews)

• Good pay, equipment, managers, terminals (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very difficult to get home time when needed (in 10 reviews)

• Dispatch and load planners need to understand there are some serious jerks out there messing with us truck drivers constantly (in 3 reviews)

"Everything's great unless you get hurt."

Current Employee - Dedicated Local Driver in Tucker, GA
    Current Employee - Dedicated Local Driver in Tucker, GA

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, home time, benefits, and equipment

Cons

They will disown you if you get hurt on the job.

Advice to Management

Take care of your hard-working dedicated employees that help line your pockets.

"Operations specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Marten Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Performance based advancement, decentralized operations... authority each terminal has and ability of its leaders to implement and develop the best procedures and guidlines to produce highest operational returns.

Cons

Turnover rate is horrible for office employees. Extremely horrible atmosphere and employee moral, high stress, poor department communication which increases these issues (ex. Sales makes promises or accepts freight that is operationally impossible, instead of taking the time and due diligence to speak with Ops and determine capacity based off the markets personnel and asset capabilities for that day/week/etc... leads to strain on customer relations and internal office atmosphere)

Advice to Management

I was upper level management. But company wide and in terms of company policy/procedure. Acknowledge the talent and find ways to keep office employees of value. implement ways to award/acknowledge outstanding office employees for exceeding expectations and spectacular accomplishments. Because your pay is not compedetive enough to keep them around in the current environment as is. Not an opinion.... Just look at your voluntary turnover rate.

"Dedicated account in Shelbyville TN is a joke."

Current Employee - Driver in Shelbyville, TN
    Current Employee - Driver in Shelbyville, TN

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people are great. That's all since they changed all the office personnel except for the nights. Mostly new drivers now.

Cons

If you are tired or refuse to run elegal they will starve you out. If you have a family emergency it takes a act of Congress to get time off. The management acts like they are doing you a favor by getting you loads and doing their job.

Advice to Management

Start over.

5. "Phoenix Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Marten Transport (Less than a year)

Pros

Starting pay is pretty good.

Cons

Bad training, not much support from coworkers. Everyone is too busy dealing with their overload

"This is the worst company to work for!!"

Former Employee - OTR Regional Driver in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - OTR Regional Driver in Tampa, FL

I worked at Marten Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros here unless you're satisfied doing between 1500 2000 miles a week. Supposedly was one of their top drivers and made no money. Matter of fact put me in debt with child support and other personal bills. I do not recommend this job to anyone. I've worked here for 2 1/2 yrs and I sat more than I drove. And when you drove it was a crappy runs with up to 3 days to run.

Cons

If you have any incidents absolutely not your fault by police authority, they will find a way to make it a preventable even tho you had no out in the situation. Trust me I know!! I've been threw it. Then they send a letter with every employee who had an accident with amounts and brief discription on what happen. And try to belittle you with a written paragraph. Trust I have it on hand and can prove it. And if you get terminated they leave you stranded. Or if you made enough money they get you a greyhound on your dime. Not worth working for these guys.

Advice to Management

I hope you go bankrupt. And close this crapy company you so called. On the bright side I was quitting in 3 weeks so they just made it easier for me. And found a local job making more money than any yr I've worked there.

"Bad company"

Pros

Treated me bad when it wasn't unpreventable incident sent me to indy to discharge me 2 weeks after the incident and the woman how fired me had no experience in trucking

Cons

Just bad to big of a company real bad experience there this was by far the worst I've had to deal with a trucking company

Advice to Management

Quit being greedy there is nothing good about charging you 56 dollars to sleep in a flea bag motel with another man

"don't even think of working here"

Current Employee - Company Driver in Mondovi, WI
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Mondovi, WI

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good equipment with apus direct deposit they have multiple fleet manager's so they know your name and everything. That's all.

Cons

They suck at paying I was promised .42 cents flat rate mile. But they will only pay .16 cents a mile till u get 1500$ a month than pay ur mileage rate. Wait forever for a comcheck to get lumped fee. Waited 3 hrs once. Lost my car, house and everything. I'm looking for another job b4 I quit. If u have any brains don't work for this company.

Advice to Management

Treat us drivers like u should us otr drivers need money to. And pay like u promised to.

"Kicked out of my truck in snow storm"

Pros

They pay twenty an hr for detention, up to 5 hrs, if there is 5 hrs left on your 14.
     If you arrive to a shipper with only 2 or 3 hrs left on your 14 and end up staying at the dock for 5 or 6 or even longer, you don't get those hrs in detention.

Cons

I was in a fender bender in WY during a snow storm. Cop gave me a ticket for following too close. The probleem was I wasn't following anybody. A car had stopped in the lane with no flashers and By the time I saw it, I couldn't stop all the way without jacking the truck so I ended up hitting the car at about 20mph. Since I was with them only 6 months, and their own point system they use took me to their limit (12 points in a year). had to get towed out because my headlight and cattle gaurd was messed up.

I had very little cash on me, a day before payday. They wouldn't pay for a hotel, had to put it on a CC. They fired me that night and told me to clean out my truck the next day. I had to leave about $2000 worth of equipment behind, as I could only take my cloths and a few expensive small electronics with me on the bus. Had to leave a fridge, CB, microwave, tools, a leaf blower I used to blow out the trailers and save the company money on washouts.

Greyhound bus wasn't coming down the 80 because of the storm....for 5 days. I did not get out of Rock Springs for 5 days.

By the time I got home, Randy Marten had sent me a hand written note calling me a clown and implying that I'd never get another driving job. A week later he sent me a copy of a list of drivers that he fired in that month, what he claims they cost his company and sent the memo throughout the company as a warning to all. I think there is a lawsuit in there someplace.

Advice to Management

"Treat employees and customers with the respect they deserve and success will come naturally" -Randy Marten

Don't fire your drivers and leave them stranded in another State. All you did was make a life long enemy and if you think I deserved what you did to me....Good Luck Randy

"Bad Company"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Tampa, FL

Pros

The benefits is very fast

Cons

The trucks is in bad condition

"fleet manager"

Pros

technologically sound, not much more to say

Cons

not enough training, no upward mobility, no vision, throw money around, poor attitudes, not driver oriented even though they say they are

Advice to Management

grow the company and start to recruit better!