Marten Transport Reviews | Glassdoor

Marten Transport Reviews

Updated August 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Paperwork is easy, good equipment well maintained (in 11 reviews)

• Fast Paced, never boring, good people, good pay, leadership experience, good benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I was told I had just had home time and they didn't have any loads headed to Calif for her services (in 11 reviews)

• Sliding pay scale is hard to understand (in 4 reviews)

1. "Don't believe what you are told at Orientation"

Former Employee - Dedicated Driver in Twinsburg, OH
    Former Employee - Dedicated Driver in Twinsburg, OH

I worked at Marten Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Equipment, great environment

Cons

Company runs favorites, lets others take what's left

Advice to Management

Don't mislead new employees at orientation.Stop playing favorites .

2. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Competitive pay compared to similar jobs in this industry, also higher than account manager roles in various other industries.
    -Various offices, lots of opportunities for growth if you are open to relocating
    -Gives you a broad and valuable experience working with companies of all sizes
    - My office coworkers, management, director and VP of region are all hard workers and supportive. They see the big picture

Cons

-Some regions do not work together as a TEAM, instead only cover their butt.
    -Various fleet managers should be fired, no sense of urgency and overall crappy quality of work.
    -Saturday shift rotation are mandatory
    -Work holidays

Advice to Management

-The different regions should have better team chemistry.
    -Put someone in charge of overseeing the efficiency of workers, and have them rotate weekly from region to region. Pay careful attention to the fleet managers, many do not deserve to work here.
    -More incentives for working Saturdays since it is mandatory. Better pay, or besides the pay for the day also awarding a full day of PTO time for every day a worker works a Saturday shift.
    -Make sure sales managers are indeed bringing new business as well as helping the operations team receive more business from current accounts. They need to step in if we are not seeing freight from customers.

3. "Great but needs work"

I worked at Marten Transport full-time

Pros

Great company to work for with pay and benefits, you last a year and you have pretty much made it in any other similar job.

Cons

They care more about retaining their truckers then their fleet managers/account managers. There is a line that is crossed sometimes with the truckers that management blames on you for not being able to keep the driver who decides to quit without notice or the many other scenarios. No management accountability for in house staff.

Advice to Management

Try and train and focus more on the people in house rather than just the truck drivers and driver retention. Maybe look at keeping in house retention high at other terminals.

4. "Mondovi"

Current Employee - Driver

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weather pay good miles and

Cons

It's all good as long as you don't get a dm out of mondovi they don't know what there doing all that matters to them is moving freight.and forget about talking to the ops manager he is only going to side with the dm and the dm will not stand up for the driver if you ask a question the answer will always be have to check with the planners oh and forget about doing a 34 the answer to that will be is you getting back hours and you will be ok.

Advice to Management

TAKE power away from the planners and tell the dm to stand up for the driver and the world doesn't revolve around mondovi

"Driver"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There really isn't a whole lot of positives

Cons

I am taking my vacation for 7 days they want me to turn my truck in and find a way home 6plus hours away from my home and then after my vacation pay for my way back to get
    My truck This is the most craziest thing
    What kind of company does this ?
    So I am spending 2 out of my seven days driving.

Advice to Management

Respect the drivers

6. "na"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Tampa, FL

I worked at Marten Transport (More than a year)

Pros

grate environment to work grate equiptment

Cons

dont get you home some times

Advice to Management

get drivers home when they need to be

7. "OTR Driver"

Former Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Lithonia, GA
    Former Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Lithonia, GA

I worked at Marten Transport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice Co to work for

Cons

none that i can thick of

8. "Regional driver"

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time

Pros

Paperwork is easy, good equipment well maintained. Great people they go the extra mile to take care of you

Cons

The load planners have a bad case of micromanagement they have no clue what it is to be out here on the road

Advice to Management

All load planners dispatchers need to spend a week or two with a driver out on the road to understand what it's like and drivers as well need to spend a week or two with dispatchers

"Everything's great unless you get hurt."

Current Employee - Dedicated Local Driver in Tucker, GA
    Current Employee - Dedicated Local Driver in Tucker, GA

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, home time, benefits, and equipment

Cons

They will disown you if you get hurt on the job.

Advice to Management

Take care of your hard-working dedicated employees that help line your pockets.

"Operations specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Marten Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Performance based advancement, decentralized operations... authority each terminal has and ability of its leaders to implement and develop the best procedures and guidlines to produce highest operational returns.

Cons

Turnover rate is horrible for office employees. Extremely horrible atmosphere and employee moral, high stress, poor department communication which increases these issues (ex. Sales makes promises or accepts freight that is operationally impossible, instead of taking the time and due diligence to speak with Ops and determine capacity based off the markets personnel and asset capabilities for that day/week/etc... leads to strain on customer relations and internal office atmosphere)

Advice to Management

I was upper level management. But company wide and in terms of company policy/procedure. Acknowledge the talent and find ways to keep office employees of value. implement ways to award/acknowledge outstanding office employees for exceeding expectations and spectacular accomplishments. Because your pay is not compedetive enough to keep them around in the current environment as is. Not an opinion.... Just look at your voluntary turnover rate.