Martin|Williams Reviews | Glassdoor

Tom Moudry

1. "Media Planner"

Former Employee - Media Planner in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Media Planner in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Great place to start out career!

Cons

No negatives for working here

"Horribly untrusting of employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Martin|Williams full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

CCO/CEO and executive staff greeted me warmly.

Decent office buildout, although they recently downgraded from the top floors of the RBC Plaza tower to the just floor 9 of the 150 Tower in Fifth Street Towers.

Cons

Major problem leaving early on a Friday, even with work finished and trying to communicate it to the right people. That's a stark contrast to the other ad agencies in the market, which generally trust their employees to get their job done without micromanagement.

I wasn't greeted with even a welcome lunch upon joining, nor any HR orientation. Just sat down and given assignments.

Technology is old. Laptop was from 2009 in 2016. IT people were friendly, though.

Environment feels like a company that's comfortable sitting still with their agriculture clients, not trying anything new or innovative - even when it's right under their nose. Too much staying "safe."

If you want to flex your creative muscle, this isn't it. If you want freedom to be trusted to do your work, this isn't it. Unfortunately.

Lastly - very low pay. Lowest pay I've ever been offered in the Twin Cities market.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees. It's not that hard.

3. "Great people! A lot of fun things for employees"

Current Employee - Producer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Producer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Martin|Williams full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere to be around. Great work - life balance. Many people with great experience that you can learn from. Had some fantastic mentorship!

Cons

Low pay, creative repeats its over and over again. Next to people with many years of experience huge turnover among young people. New positions are usually not filled within but with outside hires.

Advice to Management

Allow for more growth and learning opportunities for your current employees. Sometimes you have all the right people in house just doing wrong jobs.

5. "Good for anyone starting their advertising career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Martin|Williams full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere. Good salary. Better work/life balance than a lot of ad industry jobs in town. Some opportunities to do satisfying, quality work.

Cons

The fun atmosphere can sometimes be distracting, and the party culture doesn't work as well for those who don't drink or don't enjoy socializing outside of work hours. I didn't feel like my professional development goals were supported -- I didn't get the opportunities I hoped for to expand my skills into different areas. Again and again I saw really talented, experienced employees quit or get laid off, only to be replaced by interns who weren't as skilled or easy to work with.

Advice to Management

Place more of an emphasis on mentoring. Really listen to and support employees professional goals.

6. "Good agency while I was there"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Quality of work. Passion for work, Decent people. Fairly non-political until new leadership arrived.

Cons

Narrow thinking. Stuck in the world of wanting to make television commercials not very digitally minded

Advice to Management

CFO is old school and is very political. CEO is stuck in the 90s. President is a puppet for CEO. Not much advice would matter.

"If you must work in advertising, work here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Ok, so they don't pay you the highest salary ever. But believe me, the work environment makes up for it. Huge opportunity for growth over time, and a flexible senior management group that lets you take your own path (with a little bit of convincing, of course).

Cons

Siloed. Many clients are not the most interesting to make ads for, but the flip side of that is that they don't keep you working all night (most of the time). The agency is perpetually understaffed, but only enough so that it becomes difficult when we have a high workload. I've worked at other agencies that are worse in this regard.

8. "Not much to show for my time there...."

I worked at Martin|Williams full-time

Pros

Great coworkers
    Easy commute to downtown location

Cons

Very little room for growth depending on your department. And unfortunately some of that growth depends on winning new business which Martin Williams hasn't done in years.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see upper management do a little more hands on work for the team. Less micromanaging; go ahead and get your hands dirty. The glass of merlot will still be there when you reply to that email or show up to that meeting.

9. "Some great people, but overall stagnant and old school"

I worked at Martin|Williams full-time

Pros

I've made many friends from working at Martin Williams. The people are the reason I stayed as long as I did.

Cons

We didn't win any major pieces of business for a long stretch, management was truly tone deaf, I felt like I wasn't challenged and didn't grow during my time there. The status quo is completely fine at this agency, and many aren't interested in doing great work.

Advice to Management

I am hopeful that the agency can turn around with the new people in place. I think it could still be a great agency, but it's an uphill battle.

"Outlook Not Great"

I worked at Martin|Williams full-time

Pros

-Flexible with working from home
    -Good PTO
    -Nice office space
    -Departments are all friends and not siloed

Cons

-Leadership has no desire to move the company forward
    -Overwork employees for little pay
    -Processes are a mess and constantly in flux

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees' well-being and bringing in big new business, not just little pieces here and there.

11. "Old School"

I worked at Martin|Williams full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great potential. Some smart folks. Decent compensation - not great but okay. Great if you like pedestrian agriculture chemical clients.

Cons

CEO-CCO is old school and not very talented. Loves the young people. Doesn't believe in strong women. Hires old dog guys who are also old school tv wannabes. Agency stuck in 90s.

Advice to Management

Get with the times. A fancy office, martini lunches, and doesn't make you hip and cool. The world is moving fast and you're stuck in the madmen era for real. Strong women are incredible assets. Where are they in our shop? They leave because the CEO is old school boys club.