Marukai Corp. Reviews | Glassdoor

Hidejiro Matsu

1. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Covina, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Covina, CA

Pros

- A whole 5% off for employees!! And we didn't get that until a few months after I was hired.
    - Since they make you fold up the advertisements, you pretty much know all the sales going on? It's good if you eat Japanese food I guess.
    - My co-workers were pretty nice. They were either young students or moms and they were all kind and patient with the new people that were hired for the Marukai-Tokyo Central change.
    - Some of the managers were okay. As long as you gave them a note and told them ahead of time, they changed your hours for you.
    - If there were any problems, we generally just sent them to customer service and our managers took care of it.

Cons

Bad breaks, bad communication, bad system...
    Breaks: If you work less than 6 hours, you get 2 ten minute breaks I think? More than that and you get a 30 minute lunch too...I don't remember.
    Pay: Minimum wage, $9.50? And a dollar less during the training I think. Yay paid training!
    Communication: I wish they would tell us when the systems are broken, when there's problems going on with pricing or with the store, etc. Sometimes days we requested off and approved would not be remembered and they were some mess-ups there.
    System: The cash register had a problem at least once a week. Credit card readers wouldn't work, systems don't acknowledge barcodes, the sales weren't updated. One of us would have to go run and grab the items that the codes wouldn't read. Customers were often frustrated with all the problems and cashiers were the ones that take the heat. Standard customer service stuff.

Advice to Management

Honestly have a better system in general? It was pretty unnecessary for cashiers to memorize over a hundred 3 digit numbered list for all the produce. It helps, but deciding whether your memory skills are good enough to be hired for a grocery store cashier is not really needed.
    Communication!! Don't be so angry at cashiers :( especially newbies.
    Basically there's so much simple things that could be fixed to make the whole store more efficient.

2. "Not the best"

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Marukai Corp. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly coworkers, all were moms or students.
    Surrounded by Japanese goods.

Cons

I had no days off- had the flu one day so I called in sick, and I came back still sick and management was furious at me. Shifts were long, discount small.
    Customers could be A NIGHTMARE some of the rudest I've ever had to experience. Props to anyone who's a cashier.

Advice to Management

At least try to pretend to care about your employees.

3. "not recommend"

Pros

some co-workers are very nice.

Cons

Bad management. Ridiculously strict on time card-only two min. grace period. HR nor managers do not care for employees.

5. "Cashier/Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Cashier in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Pros: hardly any
    •5% off grocery
    •co workers are nice

Cons

Cons: too many to list
    •overworked under paid
    •extremely strict and hard to communicate with you
    •play favoritism with employees ESPECIALLY if youre japanese/treat you better
    •dont care about their employees
    •30 minute lunches
    List goes on

Advice to Management

Learn to care more about your employees and dont discriminate against non japanese employees. Also get a translator if youre going to open a store in America

6. "Asian stressful working culture"

Former Employee - Store Associate in Gardena, CA
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Gardena, CA

I worked at Marukai Corp. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can know more about Japanese product, which is not easy to find in America.

Cons

They always change your schedule, and it is frustrating.
    Min. pay for all tasks in the store, and short break/lunch time.
    Give more benefit to your employees, not cutting it. Because they work so hard for you, they deserve it.

Advice to Management

Listen and understand your employee, and be reasonable , because your requirement is way over our pay grade.

"Very Disappointed"

Current Employee - Stocker in West Covina, CA
    Current Employee - Stocker in West Covina, CA

I have been working at Marukai Corp. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many of the co-workers are friendly, the life/work balance is great as they can adapt your schedule to your needs especially if you are a student. If you are here just to make some money, this is the company that might work for you.

Cons

The company is completely inconsistent with each other regarding it's own policy causing confusion among it's customers. More importantly, the management here are very inconsiderate of it's own employees regardless of their situation such having a injury and they still make you overwork. Speaking overworking, they will make you work in multiple department and underpaid you as with no acknowledge of your hard work.

One of manager assistant here like to impose time limit without warning and like to compare you to other employees by making you look worse then them. Favoritism here is also another problem that run rampage everywhere in the store. There is also no room to grow or any advancement no matter what even you are Japanese.

We have at least up to 10 employees quitting a year, the turnover is very high. We get constant change in managers that most of them only wants to impressive the higher ups and could care less about their employees. You know there is a problem if your own manager has give it up on improving the management team after working for two months, this indicate that problem is rooted more in the corporation itself.

Sadly, this problem has been persisting for a long time based on employees who have been working for years and giving their stories, so I doubt the it will change.

Advice to Management

Even with cultural difference, there are many methods from more successful companies to take inspiration from not only to making the company stand out more but how to create a effective team so we do not lose a employee every month. While is great to listen to your workers but you might need understand that why are they unsatisfied and how comparing them with each other is not a efficient way to get them work more especially with a already low minimum wage. Claiming that this that organizing team despite the blatant evidences means the you are in denial.

8. "Horrible"

Current Employee - Data Entry/Customer Service/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Data Entry/Customer Service/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Marukai Corp. part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Great part time hours.

Cons

The higher ups don't speak English very well.
    Underpaid over worked.
    No promotions.

Advice to Management

Work for your employees and they will work for you.
    Pay needs to be a lot more for the amount of work they want you to do.

9. "Regular hours, terrible management"

Former Employee - Cashier in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Diego, CA

I worked at Marukai Corp. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The other cashiers are cool people. I got regular hours, unlike retail. They don't cut your hours based on season, only when you make a mistake. Other than that, there aren't many pros.

Cons

- Terrible managers. They are terrible communicators. Sometimes they yell at you in Japanese even if you don't even speak any Japanese. Also there was this one manager who refused to help on busy weekends when the line is practically reaching the back of the store.
    - Favoritism towards Japanese workers. I feel like the Japanese workers get away with more than non-Japanese workers. Also, you can't really move up the company unless you are Japanese...All the full-time workers and managers are Japanese. The rest of the people are part-time cashiers, stockpeople, cleaners, or work in the back.
    - Minimum wage ($8/hr), but they expect you to do other jobs in addition like stockperson or cleaner
    - There is a high turnover. One of the people said the average cashier only works 3 months and they quit.

10. "A fairly typical cashiering experience"

Current Employee - Cashier in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Marukai Corp. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, good environment, reasonably flexible schedule, delicious free samples on weekends, overall it's a decent place to work if you're just looking for a part-time minimum wage job

Cons

The shifts can get extremely tiring and boring, during off-time you just roll up plastic bags and wait for customers to come, there is absolutely no room for advancement unless you speak Japanese, pay only increases by $.25 every 6 months regardless of effort or quality of work (even a manager said the company was stingy), sometimes very odd policies are adopted in response to problems. For the most part the problems seem to be with corporate rather than local management.

Advice to Management

Scams and issues in Southern California rarely need to be handled the same way in Northern California.

"Let's stick to only one job position."

Former Employee - Accountant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in San Diego, CA

Pros

Lenient managers and flexible work schedule.
    Prompt payments of paychecks and overtime.

Cons

Fraternization between managers and employees.
    Favoritism
    Unfair pay rate

Advice to Management

I would appreciate it if the senior managers would take time to learn exactly what the employees are doing for their job.
    I would also like it if the managers allow the employees to be able to focus on their assigned task rather than making them do other unrelating chores.
    Do not set time limits on the assigned jobs and make the employees do other things after that.
    For example, allow an accountant to focus on accounting rather than to set a time limit to 2PM and then work as a stocker until 6PM.