Mary Cariola Children's Center Reviews | Glassdoor

James DeVoe

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Experience!"

I have been working at Mary Cariola Children's Center full-time

Pros

Kids are great and always nice to work with

Cons

Difficult job because one must have patience

2. "A good place to work"

I have been working at Mary Cariola Children's Center full-time

Pros

- the kids are great
    - staff are friendly
    -the hours are consistent

Cons

-No chance for extra hours
    - Physically demanding
    -High turnover

3. "Teacher's Aide"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher's Aide II in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher's Aide II in Rochester, NY

I worked at Mary Cariola Children's Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job is very rewarding if this is the line of work you wish to be in and you can learn a lot from the supervisors and specialists that are willing to teach you

Cons

The politics that are played by veteran staff can make younger staff feel inadequate

Advice to Management

When hiring, take more note into the interest level of applicants because not everyone should be hired

4. "Teacher Aide I/II"

I worked at Mary Cariola Children's Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff work well as a team, children are great, pay and benefits are decent

Cons

Some students become very aggressive, and it is difficult when they target staff to get through the day.

5. "Great staff, great kids! Fun and challenging place to work!"

Former Employee - Teacher's Aide I
    Former Employee - Teacher's Aide I

I worked at Mary Cariola Children's Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The lead teachers and co-workers were among some of the greatest people I've ever worked with! The staff there were receptive to my needs, were super helpful, and all worked as a team! The principal and head teacher were very understanding when I needed to take unpaid time off. The Mary Cariola community respects their employee s and their needs. Happy staff meant (usually) happy students. The kids were also great to work with! There were definitely challenges at times, but when a student overcame a small obstacle, made an achievement, or laughed with you, it was an amazing feeling!

Cons

The salary was low, especially for someone who has student loans to repay. Some of the students could be very aggressive at times, which made completely daily tasks especially difficult sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

6. "Exhausting and frustrating."

Former Employee - Teacher Aide in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher Aide in Rochester, NY

I worked at Mary Cariola Children's Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours, paid holidays, follows typical school calendar, pay was okay.

Cons

Cliques, all around. I had a special assignment once from another department and I was questioned by staff either on my level or below me as to why I was doing the assignment. Hired at mid level supervisory staff due to previous experience and was repeatedly told that I wasn't hired properly by staff that were on my level that had to start at bottom of the company. The school and group home departments are completely separate, despite being the same company. HR will fight you tooth and nail for everything, it's is well known that among employees that have been there awhile that they will fight all unemployment request. A lot of big brother aspect to the place, if someone told you to do something that would of taking them 5 minutes to do but took you 6 minutes you're questioned as to what took so long.

Advice to Management

Start listening to employees, if an issue is going on and you are made aware of it don't sweep it under the rug until another incident happens. Get staff that know their position and job responsibilities, even if that means that they need to know how to take direction from supervisory staff.

7. "Child hab specialist"

Pros

good job for college students and people who want to work part time. Family oriented environment and you feel feel like you can love the residents.

Cons

Hard to balance work and personal life...the hours really suck so don't make plans to have a life. Pay is ok but for the work that we do its not enough. Residents can be a little hard to handle

Advice to Management

Love your employees because we sacrifice a lot to work for this company. We are the backbones that hold residential services together.

8. "Excellent."

Former Employee - Child Habilitation Specialist in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Child Habilitation Specialist in Rochester, NY

I worked at Mary Cariola Children's Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great teamwork, doing good things for children.

Cons

Children can be difficult, but that is to be expected. Not much room so substantial growth.

9. "Highly rewarding, great colleagues, but toxic administration"

I have been working at Mary Cariola Children's Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Fun, cheerful, teamwork environment - everyone pulls together in the classroom
    2) Soooo rewarding to see the pride on a student's face when he/she learns a new skill
    3) The kids are real troupers -- it's so encouraging to see how they face multiple challenges with humor and grace

Cons

1) This job requires super tenacity -- it takes a long time for students to reach their milestones, and one has to be very patient in doing a lot of repetitive skill-building, and one has to reach deep inside on some days for that optimistic, encouraging, cheerful attitude that the kids need (of course, our co-workers are the BEST at keeping us going)
    2) Some of the children are aggressive -- sometimes slapping, pinching, scratching. Some have temper tantrums multiple times a day. Some self-harm. So...it can take it's toll, be a bit nerve-wracking at times.
    3) The people in the trenches (teachers, aides, therapists, nurses) are great. The upper admin sucks. They can be highly critical, rarely encouraging, bullying toward employees and parents. They feel that they know how everything should be done, and consider any suggestions from those of us DOING it a personal insult. Sometimes they can be downright vindictive. I have seen them treat certain parents (who dared to advocate strongly for their child) quite viciously and deceitfully.

Advice to Management

1. Show your staff that you appreciate them. Tell them when they've done something well. And listen to your staff -- you might learn something.l
    2. Stop asking your teachers and therapists to lie to parents for you. Parents have a right to know what's really going on with their child, and we don't like being caught up in the webs of deceit that you weave and in your little power games. What's most important is the welfare of the child -- and it seems you sometimes forget that.
    3. Staff should receive salary increases commensurate with their experience -- even a small raise is a way of letting your staff know that you appreciate them, that you want them to stick around. You might not have such a big turnover of staff if you gave a raise once every year or two.

10. "Students are great, supervisors are okay."

I have been working at Mary Cariola Children's Center full-time

Pros

Students are great to work with. You fall in love with them immediately!

Cons

Promotions from within are slow forthcoming. Not a lot of support from supervisors.