Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Growing Possibilites"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse (Former Nurse Tech) in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse (Former Nurse Tech) in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the two years I've worked for MFB, I've had an AMAZING experience! If an organization is only as strong as the people who work there, then we have something special. Day after day, our staff strives to make MFB the best rehabilitation hospital in the country! If having a all-star staff wasn't enough, we also have the most phenomenal patients. They are the ones who give us the motivation to always do our best! The atmosphere of our hospital is one of hope, freedom, comradery, empathy and most of all JOY! I'm thankful everyday for the blessings I have and my job is one of them.

Cons

With any organization there are always some growing pains. In the past two years, MFB has more than doubled in size and with that comes hiccups and policy changes that happen to accommodate the growth.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the needs of the people who make up your organization and they will continue to be faithful and do their personal best for MFB.

2. "business office coordinator"

Current Employee - Business Office Coordinator in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Business Office Coordinator in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Amazing culture, you can tell employees genuinely care about giving their patients the best care possible. The new facility is beautiful. Pretty decent benefits

Cons

Upper level management doesn't really listen to their employees and tend to play favorites. Can also be a bit of an "old boys club". Certain departments are also extremely short staffed and many people are doing the jobs of two people (myself included). Management just keeps adding things to your plate if they know you are a good employee, people are getting burned out.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, listen to your employees when they say they are drowning in work.

3. "Occupational Therapist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Caledonia, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Caledonia, MI

I have been working at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

Inspiring work-place filled with some of the best therapists in the field. Fast-paced, exciting, learning opportunities everyday.

Cons

Poor logistics within the building, break/lunch rooms and gyms are not close, no office/charting space for therapists, etc.

Advice to Management

Remember to stay humble

4. "Striving for excellence"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

You are helping people get their life back.

Cons

Going through growing pains right now.

"Administration"

Current Employee - Administrative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Administrative in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

great coworkers, great work some room for advancement

Cons

low pay compared to other hospitals

Advice to Management

higher wages

"Excellent clinical rehabilitation hospital experiencing mass exodus of talent due to incompetent executive leadership."

Former Employee - Executive Leadership in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Executive Leadership in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly competent therapy staff that truly give miracles a chance to occur for patients and families

Cons

CEO lacks experience in healthcare administration, and has created a culture that lacks professionalism. Additionally, fails to understand and appreciate the gravity of STARK law and engages in non compliant business arrangements that put the organization and it's long standing reputation at risk

Advice to Management

The guild need to terminate the CEO and retain top executive talent focused on the mission and vision of MFB

"Beware"

Former Employee - Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nursing and Therapists - they are the heart and soul.

Cons

Disorganized, no accountability, misguided leadership, work silo's, lack of supportive infrastructure - you will experience this (and much more (at MFB). It starts with the CEO and their inability to lead a hospital properly (no surprise sine they have no background in healthcare). Sure - it's all warm and fuzzy marketing, you will hear buzz phrases like "building a network" - but the truth is the infrastructure is eroding from within and there are pockets of bizarre (and basically untruthful) activity that takes place. Sound like a place you want to work? Don't believe me? It won't take but your first day and you will get feedback from long term staff - stating this is the true "MFB" culture. Of course the Phys Therapy staff and nursing are the heart and soul. If not for them - confident MFB would not exist. Likewise, you begin to observe a very outdated and disorganized environment (adding to the stress and struggle everyday). Add in a lack of leadership support (or more frankly - accountability) - and you have a mess on your hands. I don't foresee MFB being who they are 4-5 years from now. Not with poor leadership, poor patient experience (daily), and downstream lack of transparency - even as far as statistics, billing, financials, etc. It's too bad with such a rich history at stake.

"RN"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, MI

I have been working at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

This facility is very good to its patients and many miracles happen every day because of the excellent care they receive.

Cons

Physical therapy and nursing are completely divided, and PT does not have a good relationship or rapport with nursing. The CEO surrounds himself with upper management he knows instead of basing it on the benefit they would have on the facility. The staff is given the impression that their feed back is used, but in reality it is just a misconception to make them think they have input and makes the staff feel deceived. Nursing is not valued by physicians and they are not treated as a respected part of the team. Administration tolerates this behavior and there is no one to support the nursing staff.The DON recently resigned because the CEO undermined the positive actions she was taking to function as a nurse advocate. Much turnover.

Advice to Management

Function as advocates for nursing and show them they are a valued in the company. Be fair and treat the motivated and ambitious employees with rewards instead of the same as the unmotivated and lazy staff. The productive staff is overtaxed frequently because administrative staff know they can handle it, and it is easier than listening to the whining of the less productive staff.Follow through with actions for consequences instead of turning the other way and ignoring unsatisfactory performance (instead of the attitude of they have always been that way or done it that way) just because they have been there for several years. They should have nipped the negative performance when it first occurred years ago.

"New management ruined a great place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

I loved my job. Seeing the patients improve and being part of their journey was so awesome and rewarding. My coworkers were clinically solid and very helpful.

Cons

If you saw an opportunity for something to be better or something unfair was happening, it was best to stay silent because if management perceived you as negative it was an eventual death sentence for your job. This happened to many good employees. Nursing management stated on multiple occasions that they had full support of the CEO to do whatever they chose and that unchecked power was abused.

Advice to Management

Advice to the Guild: read the employee surveys!! We were dissatisfied and instead of addressing our concerns the DON just told us she was dissapointed in our attitude. Approaching our concerns and frustrations in that way allowed the DON to not have to change or improve anything because she could claim that our concerns were just us complaining. This approach to our concerns provided a convenient excuse for plummeting morale and a jump in attrition.

"Small Family"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Small Family Atmosphere. Everyone knows everyone and everyone cares about everyone. Was a great place to work until new upper mgmt

Cons

Upper Management cracked the whip! Jobs were eliminated. Those left behind were to pick up the slack and work more hours.