Mary Kay Reviews in Addison, TX | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mary Kay President and CEO David B. Holl
David B. Holl

Pros
  • supportive management, honest coworkers, fantastic work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Pick up put down business,can be extremely successful or just a hobby , great products you can use your self (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • When you run out of friends and family, it gets challenging (in 6 reviews)

• The dress code is ridiculous and outdated (in 10 reviews)

1. "Mary Kay"

Former Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company to work for if willing to put in the work.

Cons

I do not have any cons for this company

2. "Business Analyst"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Addison, TX
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture is very family-oriented

Cons

It takes a loooong time to become fully accepted

"Sr Specialist Special Events"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits and company still holds true to its purpose of helping women

Cons

company going thru a lot of change into a true global company; too many employees, especially management, that have been there for their entire career. Their scope of how to advance the company is very limited. Also very old-school.

Advice to Management

Better communication; Don't be fooled by people just because of their long tenure; listen to those that can bring a new perspective.

5. "Great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

Pros

Awesome culture, good salary, outstanding core values

Cons

New executives are damaging the long term great culture

Advice to Management

You can innovate without destroying what makes the company great, its culture

"Make sure you kiss the right butt."

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a corporate employee, for the most part, the environment is great. Beautiful building, great employee benefits, product discounts... blah blah blah...

Cons

Tick off the wrong person that is dead set on making a name for herself and you will be squashed like a bug and swept into a product closet never to be heard from again. Its amazing how 1 lady trying to climb the corporate ladder can push someone out of good graces by pushing their opinions to others.

Feel bad for contractors & interns - they have no say what department they get moved too and are LITERALLY told "as a contractor, you have no say" No matter how long said contractors tenure is. "Fake it til you make it" rings true at this company. If you don't like where you are do everything you can to get hired on, once that happens your locked in and astonishingly people that SHOULD NOT STILL BE HERE are and the poor contractors who don't make it... well no matter how long you've been on assignment at MK, they cut you with ZERO NOTICE. I feel bad if some of these contractors that don't make it are single moms or sole providers for their household, MK does NOT care. As they are leaving for the day or weekend expecting to return on Monday... MK calls their agency straight away, like within minutes of their departure and boom their done and no body has forewarned them. Seriously, it does not matter how long a contractor has been here, some as much as 15yrs, when they are finished with you, as a contractor, you cant even come back and get your belongings, they don't even want you back in the building, period . They just cut them.

Usually if a contractor doesn't "make it" its because they made someone else mad, someone just a step or two above them. Its that simple.

If you are not part of the "it" crowd it gets very lonely. The whispering around bundles of cubes is deafening. If someone is whispering, they are usually talking about someone close by or complaining. Lots of back-stabbing goes on here for sure.

Advice to Management

Not every thing you hear is true. Treat all of your people equally as they ALL contribute not just our beloved employees.

7. "Executive Senior Director"

Current Employee - Executive Cadillac Sales Director in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Cadillac Sales Director in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Independent, Positive, Fun, Exciting, Lucrative

Cons

fluid, delayed results, no consequences, women, start and stop

"Welcome to Stepford"

Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Nice gym and cafeteria inside the building.

Cons

1. Extremely Cliquish. You are who you associate yourself with, so if one clique doesn't like another - beware. That's including management.

2. Having to see the inside scoop on how the money is actually made (or rather - not made) for the consultant. Just, please use your common sense. If it sounds too good to be true.....

9. "Great company with sincere values"

Former Contractor - Contractor - Content Manager in Addison, TX
    Former Contractor - Contractor - Content Manager in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company that truly cares about its employees
    You have tremendous growth opportunity
    The culture is second to none... supportive management, honest coworkers, fantastic work life balance

Cons

The only downside, and it's not really a downside, is the dress code. (The dry cleaning bill can be a little high.) For today's world, it seems a bit formal. Everyone dresses very professionally but it appears to build a pride throughout the company.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing. You're doing a wonderful job!

10. "Technical Consultant"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable job as employee. Most people there a long time. They don't lay off and it's difficult to be fired.

Cons

Culture is broken in Ebiz and IT. Not a good balance of work/home.

"Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Addison, TX

Pros

Mary Kay is a great internship in Dallas. I had the opportunity to really make the most of my time, meeting lots of people high up in the company. The open-door policy of being able to talk to anyone, no matter your title, is a huge plus when you're at the bottom of the food chain.

Pros: great pay for interns, positive environment, kind people, solid HR, good training for new employees

Cons

My department had a bit of a "clique" feel to it so I never felt like I was completely able to click with my department since they were already so close... not a bad thing for working there but tough for an intern. The company is also extremely conservative - which can be a good thing in a lot of ways but the dress-code was fairly outdated (skirts or dresses for women - only allowed to wear pants if you have a matching sweater or jacket). I had several weeks where I worked over 50 hours because of seminar - which made the work-life balance harder. (I had only planned to work 40 hours a week since i was taking summer school). Overall though, I loved it - the people are great, seminar is a BLAST, and I loved getting to learn from my department.

Advice to Management

Sit down and create expectations from the beginning - my manager was not involved and very hands off (rarely seen) but then got upset about halfway through my internship because I wasn't following the protocol preferred for reporting my progress. It was confusing as an employee but I just chalked it up to a lack of presence and moved on. Could have been worse! I think the issue is that the orientation is held as a large group of interns, not ever in your department. So, if I had spent a day out of the week of orientation getting oriented to my department, it would have been much easier for my manager to set expectations.