Mary Kay Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mary Kay President and CEO David B. Holl
David B. Holl

Pros
  • supportive management, honest coworkers, fantastic work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• great products, empowering women, fun hobby (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • There is always a push to be full time, even if you started out as part time (in 11 reviews)

• The dress code is ridiculous and outdated (in 10 reviews)

1. "In a Downward Economy, Mary Kay Will Have You Looking Up!"

Current Employee - Independent Sales Director in Rogersville, MO
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Director in Rogersville, MO

Pros

The best reason to work for Mary Kay is the simple! There are too many reasons why it's awesome, but as a Director, I loved that when I was reading the 1-5 "how happy are you..." questions that they made me laugh! Take a day off when I need it...check! Opportunity for advancement...check! Etc. Etc. They need to put a question on there about having the opportunity to earn a brand new car!! That's completely paid for and insurance and sales tax is covered too! Check! I love what I do because I was able to do it as a full time State Employee/Social Worker and now I do it full time! It fits into your schedule whether one night a week or as many days and nights as you want! The best part is the instant cash! Through direct customer sales or through commission we are paid VERY well for what we do! When you think you can work a party on Friday and another one on Sunday (totaling 5 hours of work) and make $1100...that's pretty exciting if you ask me! And I've done that on several occasions! Think of this...you're 23, fresh out of college and you're already working that "dream job" that you've always wanted! Just on the weekends, you're working your business and you bring home $2100 from the State each month, then your MK commission check comes and it's $4500 and you have your sales to add on top of that totaling about $1500 for the month (it was a slow month). That is over $8,000 that you've just brought home this month...and MK was 75% of it! I love having my college degree but I love the quick and great money you can make!

Also, the room for advancement is amazing! Just by finding other women that want to do what we do, you can earn a free car, earn commission and advance in the company! It's your pace, fast or slow! You don't even have to build a team if you don't want to! You won't be penalized for choosing not to recruit, make a sale this week, or hit a deadline! The boss won't be breathing down your neck and when you do succeed you have the most amazing support system you could ask for! The best thing is that we are in business for ourselves, but not by ourselves!

Some of the other perks about my job are the tax benefits! We can claim our rent (home based business), utilities, cell and home phone, internet, miles traveled, maintenance, gas, office supplies, EVERYTHING! The fun part about it...since we are in the beauty business, we can even claim our wardrobe, hair, nails, gym membership, tanning...it makes me giggle to think we are so lucky! Also, there are no territories in this business, meaning that we can sell and recruit to whomever, wherever! The company teaches us the Golden Rule way of thought in our sales, customer service, and when we interact with our consultants. Our priorities are faith, family, then career! They actually ask us to put our families first! No calling the boss asking for a day off because the little one is sick! Oh no...family emergency! We don't have to worry about taking off with or without pay because we are our own bosses! And when we feel like "calling in sick" and actually having a fun day...don't worry! The boss won't care! ;)

In closing, I love what I do because I have the opportunity to raise a family and show them what a good work ethic and making and reaching a goal look like! It makes me feel like a better friend, wife, and overall person because of the personal growth that I've seen in myself. If a friend or family member is going through a crisis, I can be there for them at the drop of a hat because I've chosen to be the master of my own destiny! And I'm choosing now freedom, flexibility and stability in this rocky economy! I'm choosing a life that I'm proud to have and proud to tell everyone I meet about! I'm choosing MK!

Cons

The only downsides to doing this are the jitters you may feel in the beginning! Trust me, you will get over them quickly! You can learn very quickly and easily how to sell, book, and treat it like a business! There aren't many downsides, but the only ones that I've had to face are the skeptical thoughts of my family and friends when I decided to become a consultant then a director. Trust me, they arent' skeptical now...and many of my family and friends have decided to do what I do as well!

Another downside might be that a lot of people have pre-conceived notions about what it is that we do, or about the skincare and color, etc. We have three skin care lines, with over 6 different combinations of specific customized skin care...so even if something didn't work for you, we can find something else that does! Mary Kay is only used by 10% of America's women; however, most everyone has heard of it! It's always fun though, to go a group of women's house and introduce them to the skin care and color and they fall in love with it and are hooked for life! :) I love it!

Another downside might be the negative words that former consultants might say to their friends and family. The company knows that the number one thing that holds women back is fear, so because of that, they have a great 90% buy back program. If at any point within your first year you decide that being a consultant isn't for you, for whatever reason, you have the opportunity to be reimbursed for 90% of what you've invested! That's amazing if you ask me! No other personal business would be that way! But, even though we have that program, there are still some disgruntled former consultants. Whether it was their recruiter or their director that they didn't like, they equate it with the company! So, we have that to contend with...but when people hear complaints then they see the facts that I can show them, they can make their own decision!

Advice to Management

Senior Management is amazing! Having moved up in the ranks myself, I'm very happy with my Senior Director and my National and the other remarkable women that I work with! Our responsibility is to help other women achieve what we have done so they can do it for others as well. I couldn't ask for a better Senior Management!

"The best boss you'll ever have!"

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in De Pere, WI
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in De Pere, WI

Pros

Tax benefits are fantastic! Able to write off purchases made for business, cell phone, internet, mileage to and from appointments and product delivery. Being your own boss, unlimited earning potential, supportive environment with other Mary Kay consultants and directors, confidence in using and sharing a great product line.

Cons

Must be self-disciplined in order to succeed. If you need someone watching over your shoulder to make sure that you get things done, this job may not be for you.

Advice to Management

I feel that management at the local levels in the Green Bay area (Independent Sales Directors) that I have been in contact with are providing excellent training for Independent Beauty Consultants. They are more than willing to help us to grow in our businesses even if it doesn't directly benefit them (i.e. adopting consultants whose director lives far away).

3. "Wonderful opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

Pros

It's a wonderful opportunity for a women who wants to establish herself in the community and become financially stable. It gives us the opportunity to stay home and raise a family (if applicable) and also give us incentives to succeed. I started with the company a year ago and when 100% focused on the company I always do well.

Cons

Establishing new leads can be difficult for new business. I find it difficult because I am not like the average consultant who does this full time, and I especially do not like talking to strangers. The great thing about going to the Mary Kay meetings is that they help you with different ideas of gaining new business. However if you do not go the the classes it can be frustrating and you're career will stand still therefore you need to have self discipline.

Advice to Management

They are very supportive of their team and I wish more places had the same qualities.

"I love this company!"

Current Employee - Future Sales Director in Spartanburg, SC
    Current Employee - Future Sales Director in Spartanburg, SC

Pros

You can make great extra money. There is unlimited income potential! There is no glass ceiling! You can keep growing and promoting yourself and the company will just create a new title for you! There is unlimited flexibility because you make your own schedule! The company provides prizes and praise to that of diamonds, jewelry, free trips, and thousands of dollars in bonuses! You are self-employed so everything is tax deductible! Plus you can earn free cars! And you get all the great product at a 50% discount!!

Cons

you are directly responsible for your salary--if you are not a hard worker you will not be compensated!!

Advice to Management

let everyone rule their own path in the company

5. "Mary Kay works, if you work it the Mary Kay Way."

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Fresno, CA

Pros

Mary Kay allows you to work as much or as little as you want. But you do have to WORK. It is not a "get rich quick" scheme where you just sit back and let others do the work for you. If you want to do something for a living that is fun and doesn't usually FEEL like work and you are self-motivated, this is a great company to work for. Mary Kay was formed with the woman in mind. The mother, the wife, the independent woman who is a go-getter is who Mary Kay built this business for. Even if you are a little shy and don't consider yourself the "sales type" MK will teach you what to do but it IS UP TO YOU to do it.

Cons

If you want a job where you just sit around and get paid even when there is no work to be done, this is not for you. it is not like being a receptionist in an office where you can just sit and read a magazine when the phone isn't ringing. You have to WORK in order to make money. It is only a downside if you are not willing to work or follow the few rules put upon us. Anyone who has a negative view of this company has it because they did not want to work and/or did not follow the guidelines. I went from being a director to just being a consultant but it was my own fault, not that of Mary Kay. They want us to succeed. If we do not succeed it is because we are not working the business.

This is a very simple concept of a business. It is not easy. You have to work and get out of your comfort zone. If you can do that, you can work through the difficulties of being in direct sales.

Advice to Management

I think that MK Corporate really cares about the sales force and does the best they can to support us. There are always going to be people in higher positions (or lower positions) who will clash in personality. When you have a Sales Director or even your direct recruiter who you don't really click with, you can still work the business the Mary Kay way. I think Corporate handles things really well and they treat the sales force with respect and recognition that is deserved.

"Mary Kay Really Does Enrich Women's Lives"

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

The product is superb. It does what the company says it will do. The prices are more affordable than department stores. The product sells itself. I've made a lot of money in just a few months doing very little work. I receive great training from women who are very successful, and the training is FREE. The women in Mary Kay are wonderful, fun, encouraging, and very supportive. There is never any competition but, rather, encouragement to excel and be the best we can be. The company cares about the environment. They are constantly working on ways to further minimize their impact on the environment. Our orders come in biodegradable packaging (cardboard, paper AND packing peanuts dissolve in water). The Mary Kay Ash Charitable Foundation contributes significant amounts of money for research on finding cures for cancers that affect women. It also helps fight against domestic violence. I am my own boss. I set my own hours. I can never be fired or laid off. There are absolutely no quotas, no requirement to recruit; it's not a pyramid scheme as some would think. I make 50% profit on everything I sell. I get prizes and recognition. I am so incredibly proud to represent this company! (Thank you, Mary Kay, for providing this amazing opportunity!)

Cons

Honestly, the only downside is that I "have" to dress up more than I would like. I LOVE wearing my jeans. But hey, if I want to be successful and be taken seriously by potential customers, then I have to look the part. So I do it, and it's worth it!

Advice to Management

I love my Directors! They are so incredibly encouraging and supportive. They live the Golden Rule.They know the product and the company. I feel confident in the training I receive from them. I cannot think of a single thing I would critique about my Directors. (Keep up the fantastic job, ladies!)

"Mary Kay: The Only Company that Allows you to Make a Difference and a Substancial Income!"

Current Employee - Future Independent Sales Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Future Independent Sales Director in Austin, TX

Pros

Mary Kay was founded on basic principles to enrich a woman's life. You can have a successful career while placing your faith first, family second and your career third. I also love being my own boss! I am completely responsible for my success or failure, and I create my own schedule! The flexibility is so helpful! You can basically determine your monthly paycheck by following the "numbers, " and figuring out the equation that fits your needs. Mary Kay is the first company I have worked for that is predominantly women, and all the women truly want you to succeed! Your success is not only a personal success, but a team success as well, and it is just an extremely positive work atmosphere.

Cons

The main downside for me is the lack of insurance and benefits from the company. I know I can research and find a good insurance company outside of Mary Kay, but benefits are always convenient when they are worked into your workplace. Also, if you are not a motivated and disciplined person, you will have to work harder to be successful because there is no boss telling you what you need to get done. It is completely up to you.

Advice to Management

I just love how reassuring and positive they are. They make it very possible and achievable for you to promote yourself and be sitting where they are. It is common for them to tell you, "You can do it!" I also enjoy how open to questions and willing to train you the management always has been.

"Mary Kay...It's Not what You Expect but It Could Be Just What You Need!"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant/Team Leader in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant/Team Leader in Houston, TX

Pros

Priorities...God first, family second, career third. I can work my own hours and at my own pace so I am Able to travel and even take my business with me. I enjoy working with the people I want and watching people grow as they move up in their own business.

Cons

Trying to overcome the stereotype that people put on Mary Kay consultants. It is a business just like any other and it has its ups and downs. Like anything else you have to work at it to be successful.

Advice to Management

None really. All the upper management that I have met have been wonderful about giving advice and willing to share their time and experience with anyone.

9. "Mary Kay Fun, Flexible, and full of Opportunities"

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Leesburg, VA
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Leesburg, VA

Pros

Flexibility - MK is designed so that you can do as little or as much as you want. If you only want to make an extra $100 per month or if you want to become a National director with the whole pink caddie thing. It's all up to you, you make your own goals and decide when to reach them.

Compensation - there is no middle man or cut that MK takes from your profits it is a simple you buy wholesale and sell retail. You buy for $5 and sell for $10. For signing up team members you get 4% to 9%+ on their purchases (not their sales). The cars of course are wonderful 2yr lease or a monthly check in the mail very nice. Not to mention period prizes you get based on inventory purchased. Jewelery, purses, and lots more that you win along the way.

Enjoyability - MK ladies are wonderful the support is great and the spirits of everyone are amazing. The job is fun you can't get much better than to get paid to play with makeup and have parties!

Cons

Haven't come across any yet although I don't know if they offer any benefits like health/dental etc

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

10. "The truth about Mary Kay"

Current Employee - Senior Independent Beauty Consultant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Independent Beauty Consultant in Portland, OR

Pros

The flexibility to work when you want/need to. Low start up costs. The positive environment. Great Money! The opportunity to be my own boss while still having the support and training of senior management as well as sister consultants. Awesome prizes :) i.e. diamonds and cars. I've met so many wonderful people, and been able to enrich so many womens lives. The personal and professional growth has been phenomenal. The company philosophy is God first, family second, and career third, and runs on the golden rule of treating others as you would want to be treated. There are no territories, I can bring my business with me anywhere in the United States. The Mary Kay Ash Charitable foundation funded by Mary Kay corporate and independent beauty consultants donates millions of dollars every year to fight domestic violence and help find a cure for all types of cancers that affect women. The Pink Doing Green initiatives show how Mary Kay is constantly striving to find ways to have a positive impact on our environment. It's fun and I get to help women look and feel FABULOUS!

Cons

You have to be your own boss, that means you need to plug in and take advantage of all the resources available, you won't be forced to go through the training. In this business you are your worst enemy. You've got to believe in yourself.

Advice to Management

Thank you! To all of you who have embraced the adoptee system and taken us under your wings and poured into our lives without receiving any monetary benefit whatsoever, God bless you and your business. Remember the Go-Give spirit and be an example of that. Continue to educate yourself and your team, and stick to the basics.