Mary Kay Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mary Kay President and CEO David B. Holl
David B. Holl

Pros
  • supportive management, honest coworkers, fantastic work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• great products, empowering women, fun hobby (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • There is always a push to be full time, even if you started out as part time (in 11 reviews)

• The dress code is ridiculous and outdated (in 10 reviews)

"Don’t drink the purple cool aid."

Current Employee - Senior Developer - E-Business in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Developer - E-Business in Addison, TX

Pros

Good benefits and some brilliant IT people.

Cons

Well if you found this review buried among all the happy Orwellian life is wonderful at Mary Kay propaganda congratulations you’ve accomplished a small miracle.
    The truth is Mark Kay propagates a very cult like atmosphere and the cool aid here is poured very thick. The word ponzi is never spoken in the marble and glass halls of the corporate office. The party line is god first, family second and career third but that applies only to the sales force and it’s really just more propaganda. The only way to earn even a very modest living as a Mary Kay consultant is to push your career status to Sr. Director or above. Turnover in the sales force is typically over 50% a year. Half the company’s income is from China and the other foreign subsidiaries. My best suggestion is to do a LOT of research before taking the plunge as a consultant.
    Corporate employees in the IT departments are expected to work sixty plus hour s week if necessary in order to meet arbitrary deadlines. The FTE development staff is the best, many are brilliant at what they do and to retain them Mary Kay pays absolutely huge profit sharing bonuses every year.
    If you don’t have a conscious and don’t mind working for a company that exploits a sales force of brain washed women or working for callous and egotistical managers whose technical expertise was obsolete before main frames were replaced by PCs Mary Kay can be a lucrative place to work.
    Be warned though that stress levels are very high and morale is low. Upper management rules with an iron fist through sycophantic and incompetent mid-level managers who hand out arbitrary discipline freely to maintain an atmosphere of fear and urgency among the rank and file.
    Also many US jobs at Mary Kay are being moved to China so job security is tenuous at best.

Advice to Management

Go back to school and learn how software development is done in this century. At least pretend to live by “the golden rule” you so loudly proclaim at the corporate come to Jesus meetings.

2. "Don't Join Mary Kay, they just want your thousands of dollars."

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros

They will accept anyone with a credit card

Cons

You will be coerced into buying a large inventory on your credit card. You will definitely not be able to sell this product at these prices. The upper level directors are just trying to get you to make that initial investment. It doesn't work, don't get sucked in.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing inventory and lower your prices

3. "overall a really bad time and waste of money"

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time

Pros

you will meet nice people

Cons

just about everything you can think of

"Sad that God is 'used' and they destroy, rather than enrich women's lives."

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Finding a CMO who can actually take the business to the next level and who has the respect of the Sales Force and the following of many.

Cons

How popular are you? You can determine whether you are in trouble or not based on whether the HR leaders are talking to you. If you are considered popular, they love you....The IT department aren't taught anything except how to kiss up to leaders for promotions. They have no skills to take away from their time with the company.

Advice to Management

I would love to speak to our President, if I could find him. He has been MIA since he and HR secretively brought on the new COO - Thomas Cho to clean house. Cho has taken that task literally and already brought his own people in. It's obvious he likes to rule with fear. We have lost some great people, all direct, transparent, hardworking. Anyone who voice their opinions to Cho or HR have been fired. I know this will get worse before it improves. It's tough for us that are still here to watch in fear to see who will be next.

5. "Mary Kay Beauty Consultant"

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like that I can buy my makeup at a discount.

Cons

I don't like to be pushy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Too many consultants"

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Working on your own schedule. Good profit margins. Good training and support.

Cons

Not only are you competing with all the other markets for cosmetics, there are too many consultants out there. Even in your own warm market of friends and family, they already know someone else who is selling Mary Kay and have already tried the products. I couldn't get a skin care class together to save my life. After friends and family I tried advertising and talking to strangers at stores, etc. Most every one had heard of Mary Kay and already had a Mary Kay consultant if they were interested in the product. Unless you have money to get started with inventory, it is a tough way to build a business.

Advice to Management

It seems that I meet more people that "Used to be" a Mary Kay consultant than actual successful consultants. Without money to buy inventory when you start, failure is an almost certain. You claim to have an association with a credit card availability. Unless you have great credit and don't need credit, you don't qualify for your credit card. It's a black hole to get started or be successful unless you really don't need the money.

"Beauty Consultant"

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time

Pros

Meet new people and share stories of the products

Cons

All "training" are in the form of videos. In them, Suzie Q always buys, sets up a party, gives referrals, etc. I had asked SEVERAL times to go with someone to an actual party, see what they do, how they handle "real" rejections. Was told no. Asked to shadow someone while they "warm chatter" since I would only get looks of horror and disbelief. told no. Any meeting that I did pay for did not have any training but were more like pep rallies with the exception of 2. One was a "recruiting" meeting where I paid 25.00 to go to a dive diner and listen to nationals bully people into nearly tears trying to get them to join and the other was a pompus national who was full of herself that did not give any advise on how to get clients except to dress like you are going to a michelin star restaurant everyday and hope that someone actually notices and gives a care. I have decided to become a "closet consultant" and just keep active for me and my friends. Since the upline has no interest in actually helping me.

Advice to Management

Everyone learns differently. I am afraid that your sales team has become polluted with people that lie to clients and their downline and have no interest to help anyone struggling because to admit you are having problems only gets you labeled as negative. Train your uplines to actually stop regurgitating tactics that do not work in 2015 and expect them to take their newbies out to see how it is done in the real world. Suzie Q does not exist, trust me.

"Deceitful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time

Pros

The company is large enough to meet some nice people

Cons

Most who post are not employees yet beauty consultants who are not employed by the company. Regardless, this company is no longer faith based; it has no foundation as it once did. Totally corporate & does not care about its employees. Growth is limited and there is no innovation. Lots of underhand discrimination.

9. "Customer service manager"

Current Employee - Owner in Bohemia, NY
    Current Employee - Owner in Bohemia, NY

Pros

work from home and be with family

Cons

no health benefit at own.
    risk

10. "Beauty Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Moundsville, WV
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Moundsville, WV

I have been working at Mary Kay (More than 10 years)

Pros

All good. Independence.Felexible. Be your own boss. Unlimited income. Be at home with your family when you need to be.

Cons

No cons to Mary Kay its the greatest company to be associated with. Great for women to do what you've always wanted to do.

Advice to Management

No advice for management . keep up the good work. Would recommend to everyone. Try it you have nothing to lose.