Mary Kay Reviews | Glassdoor

Mary Kay Reviews

Updated April 28, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • supportive management, honest coworkers, fantastic work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Pick up put down business,can be extremely successful or just a hobby , great products you can use your self (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • When you run out of friends and family, it gets challenging (in 6 reviews)

• The dress code is ridiculous and outdated (in 10 reviews)

"No Golden Rule Practiced Here"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Addison, TX

Pros

Beautiful Building; grounds and building well-maintained

Cons

I was thrilled to be hired on a temp-to-perm basis as an administrative assistant to a Sales Development manager at MK Headquarters in Addison, TX. On my first day the drama and intrigue began. The 20-year experienced AA who was supposed to train me refused to do so and barely spoke to me for the entire time I was there. My manager, also a 20-year tenured employee, was aware of the situation and did nothing about it. I persevered anyway and was able to figure out much of the job on my own and with some assistance from a few of the other admins who took pity on me. There were strange alliances between co-workers in my group that I never understood. In the end, my manager blamed me for not fitting in to the group. At the three-month mark I asked if she was considering offering me a permanent position. The next day the agency called me and terminated my employment. My manager had told the agency I thought I was "too good" for the position!?!

Advice to Management

Hire some professional managers and get rid of the intrigue and the dead weight. You pay lip service to ideals that are no longer operating at your company, if in fact they ever were. There is no Golden Rule practiced; there is no spirit of helping others.

"Beauty Consultant"

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time

Pros

Meet new people and share stories of the products

Cons

All "training" are in the form of videos. In them, Suzie Q always buys, sets up a party, gives referrals, etc. I had asked SEVERAL times to go with someone to an actual party, see what they do, how they handle "real" rejections. Was told no. Asked to shadow someone while they "warm chatter" since I would only get looks of horror and disbelief. told no. Any meeting that I did pay for did not have any training but were more like pep rallies with the exception of 2. One was a "recruiting" meeting where I paid 25.00 to go to a dive diner and listen to nationals bully people into nearly tears trying to get them to join and the other was a pompus national who was full of herself that did not give any advise on how to get clients except to dress like you are going to a michelin star restaurant everyday and hope that someone actually notices and gives a care. I have decided to become a "closet consultant" and just keep active for me and my friends. Since the upline has no interest in actually helping me.

Advice to Management

Everyone learns differently. I am afraid that your sales team has become polluted with people that lie to clients and their downline and have no interest to help anyone struggling because to admit you are having problems only gets you labeled as negative. Train your uplines to actually stop regurgitating tactics that do not work in 2015 and expect them to take their newbies out to see how it is done in the real world. Suzie Q does not exist, trust me.

3. "Independent Beauty Consultant"

Pros

This is a hobby, not a job! You will use most of your time at your home or think of ways to get the most out MK, rather than MK getting the most out of you! To see for yourself, try a search like 'Mary Kay tax filing help', check out links to popular tax service companies and read actual questions from MK independent beauty consultants/reps seeking help on how to file to see for yourself.

Cons

This is hobby, not a job.. You will use most of your time at your home or think of ways to get the most out MK, rather than MK getting the most out of you! To see for yourself, try a Google search like 'Mary Kay tax filing help', check out links to popular tax service companies and read actual questions from MK independent beauty consultants/reps seeking help on how to file to see for yourself.

Advice to Management

Be real. Be honest. This is only a hobby. Women's lives and their financial, emotional and relational well being is at stake. Their children don't need them on PTAs or at pediatricians or Pop Warner football games preoccupied with promoting MK and creating teams...

"Way too much work for no more than you make."

Former Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Burlington, NC
    Former Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Burlington, NC

I worked at Mary Kay (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet lots of amazing people, and at the time you think your making all this money. Set your own hrs

Cons

Qtrly Minimums to high with all the other stuff you have to purchase. Plus all of your section 2 (which is your way to build your business doesnt count for Prod). A lot of out of pocket expenses. Then you fall into the trap of wanting the prizes so you start spending more than your earning. And for the record I had killer sales, consistently had top sales in my unit. but expenses and earning didnt make for much profit. Not to mention always away from your family. People work during the day so most appts. are set at night and weekends.

Advice to Management

allow a lower limit as a personal use option, and allow section 2 items to be part of your personal production. Section 2 builds the business and the more they build the more Mary Kay makes.

"Deceitful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time

Pros

The company is large enough to meet some nice people

Cons

Most who post are not employees yet beauty consultants who are not employed by the company. Regardless, this company is no longer faith based; it has no foundation as it once did. Totally corporate & does not care about its employees. Growth is limited and there is no innovation. Lots of underhand discrimination.

7. "Customer service manager"

Current Employee - Owner in Bohemia, NY
    Current Employee - Owner in Bohemia, NY

Pros

work from home and be with family

Cons

no health benefit at own.
    risk

"You'll be miserable.."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great profit share program; good leadership; very nice culture (on paper); a lot of good people.

Cons

Very stodgy, old-school company full of divas. In your interview they will talk about making improvements and endorsing change, but the company is really a bunch of tenured ladies that want nothing to do with change or working hard. As a new hire, despite all your superior skills and experience, you will be at the bottom due to your lack of seniority - that's all that matters here. Nobody wants to "do" - they all just want to manage (or fly around the world on the company dime). Place is filled w/a bunch of women who create an environment of cattiness and pettiness. Company makes good $$ so most of the employees think they are wildly successful. Someone has to die for you to get promoted. Used to be one of the top 10 places to work in DFW - there's a reason its not anymore.

Advice to Management

Have a layoff - wake your employees up; - pay for improvements; not for status quo.

"Not all that its cracked up to be!"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Addison, TX

Pros

Great benefits! The Pay was Decent

Cons

PETTINESS...You would be surprised how many times you are called into the office or HR over he say/she say crap and it works like this: whoever tells first are right..We are grown people and I have never had issues like I had here at MK..It was awful and I was miserable, not knowing who will be offended cause I didn't say good morning or didn't smile at them or want to engage in convo about their child(ren). HR dept is also corrupt and your manager/supervisor don't have your back at all.. I was placed on a written warning for something that happened months ago and my supervisor sitting there not supporting me or anything, HE (yes he) covered his tail. I immediately started looking for work and I found a job a month later and left MK. There are people who shouldn't be placed in management positions, there are people who feel that since they have been there the longest, you don't matter, your opinion or input doesn't matter..you will not get promoted and it is EXTREMELY difficult to move to another department. I know of a few others that have left after me, Ive only been gone a month and I don't miss it there. its like you have to kiss tail in order to be noticed.

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at the people you place as supervisors or managers, they can be a reason why folks leave the company.

10. "Beauty Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Professional in Moundsville, WV
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Moundsville, WV

I have been working at Mary Kay (More than 10 years)

Pros

All good. Independence.Felexible. Be your own boss. Unlimited income. Be at home with your family when you need to be.

Cons

No cons to Mary Kay its the greatest company to be associated with. Great for women to do what you've always wanted to do.

Advice to Management

No advice for management . keep up the good work. Would recommend to everyone. Try it you have nothing to lose.

"Sucks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Salary and benefits are OK.

Cons

management at corporate level sucks.

Advice to Management

hire new people that are not ego maniacs.