Mary Kay Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There is always a push to be full time, even if you started out as part time (in 12 reviews)

• The dress code is ridiculous and outdated (in 11 reviews)

1. "Const."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Anniston, AL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Anniston, AL

I have been working at Mary Kay (Less than a year)

Pros

You get 50% off of all orders. As well as a few discounts like car insurance and cell phone plans.

Cons

There are times when you might not make a sale due to curtain seasons.

2. "Lipstick"

I worked at Mary Kay part-time

Pros

Takes interest in employees and is a good resume builder.

Cons

Doesn't always stay on top of trends.

Advice to Management

Be more open about trend related suggestions.

3. "Product Quality"

Pros

Good leadership team and with caring attitude toward both the employees and the work to be done. Great teamwork among the employees.

Cons

Very few cons. The nature of the work requires prompt responses, so both flexibility and focus are needed by employees.

Advice to Management

Keep applying the Golden Rule when communicating or praising people to success.

"Employees Beware"

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mary Kay (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonably flexible, nice building. If you don't care too much about your career and can roll with the culture, it's not a bad place to be.

Cons

Out of touch and hierarchy-based to the extreme. Job titles are used not to define your place on the org chart but to signify your worth as a person. People are promoted through the ranks for 20+ years from "mail room" roles to senior leadership without proper development, which negatively shapes the culture and vision. And, good luck if you're a contractor... get ready to constantly defend your legal protections and then get pushed out when you refuse to work unpaid overtime, not be amenable to texts at all hours, etc. This is rampant, and some "contractors" have been there for 15 years with significant accountability and "full time" expectations but without benefits, PTO, etc. They may toe the line legally, but it's definitely a dirty way to treat people.

Advice to Management

Figure out what you want to be. If you want to evolve into a modern company, change the culture to reflect that. If you want to keep your culture, take a second look at your ambitions.

5. "Wonderful!!!!"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mary Kay (Less than a year)

Pros

Great family atmosphere!! Fun people

Cons

Business isn't doing very well

"Beauty Consultant"

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Crystal Lake, IL
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Crystal Lake, IL

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products! I love the freedom that this company provides its consultants. I love the training opportunities, the products, and the freedom to run my business as I see fit.

Cons

None. I love this company. I love the products. I love the training. I love the flexibility. I have no complaints.

Advice to Management

Wonderful company!

7. "Dont do it"

I worked at Mary Kay part-time

Pros

good work life balance
    buy for $1 sell for $2

Cons

sales directors are very pushy and want you to buy things you actually wont sell in order to make their own personal goals

"Project Manager at the Corporate Office in Addison, TX."

I worked at Mary Kay full-time

Pros

Some of the people working there have good hearts and are hard-working employees.

Cons

Most of the corporate directors (and above) are NOT open to new ideas, ways of improving processes, or developing relevant new products. Most of the new MK products are copies of products their competitors had on the market three or more years ago.

Advice to Management

Teach the employees the difference between a MLM company and a pyramid scheme. Then, have everyone take a business ethics class.

"Mid- to upper level management (Director)"

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Has a wonderful history. Pretty building and a sales force that sparkles. Nice pay. Pretty good benefits and there are smart minds trying to make a difference.

Cons

Has lost the true understanding and foundation of the culture. It's just words now. No one knows what's going on. Direction is almost non existent. There is little to no communication or unity from the executive level. There are some good VPs and Directors, but also far too many weak VPs and Directors. It's like the leadership of the company doesn't care anymore. The C-suite members don't seem to like each other and have become ineffective. And the product offering needs work. The whole company needs a makeover. So sad. Where this company used to be one to study and learn from, it's now just become another ok company.

Advice to Management

Roll up your sleeves and go to work. Really go to work. Set direction, communicate with each other and downward, and figure out real goals and strategy. Don't just tell the ranks to figure it out and report solutions to you. And if you've lost your mojo and just don't care anymore, please step down.

"Didn't see ROI"

I worked at Mary Kay part-time

Pros

- great products
    - learned a lot about skin care and makeup
    - learned some good marketing and sales strategies

Cons

- encountered some really nasty ladies, including several Directors who seemed to think they were God's gifts to the universe and that they didn't need to do the same kinds of courtesies they'd expect from consultants.
    - be prepared to work extremely hard, spend a LOT, and not necessarily break even on your investment. AND be told it's just that you didn't work hard enough.

Advice to Management

Abide by the golden rule, and support new consultants consistently. Don't show up to events drunk and expect them to cover you.