Mary Kay Reviews | Glassdoor

Mary Kay Reviews

Updated September 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Home/work life balance, great products (in 23 reviews)

• great products, empowering women, fun hobby (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • There is always a push to be full time, even if you started out as part time (in 12 reviews)

• The dress code is ridiculous and outdated (in 10 reviews)

"Independent Beauty Consultant"

Pros

- Half off products.
    - Flexible hours.
    - Be your own boss.

Cons

- Pyramid Scheme.
    - They talk you into buying in bulk so the people above you get richer and you are stuck with a bunch of inventory that you cannot sell.
    - They lie about the return policy. They say you have a year to return it but when you call they will say, "It's actually only 364 days," and they will not let you return it.

"new product development"

Pros

Discount on product, great co-workers in other departments

Cons

Extremely bad management within the department

3. "Project Manager at the Corporate Office in Addison, TX."

I worked at Mary Kay full-time

Pros

Some of the people working there have good hearts and are hard-working employees.

Cons

Most of the corporate directors (and above) are NOT open to new ideas, ways of improving processes, or developing relevant new products. Most of the new MK products are copies of products their competitors had on the market three or more years ago.

Advice to Management

Teach the employees the difference between a MLM company and a pyramid scheme. Then, have everyone take a business ethics class.

4. "Dont do it"

I worked at Mary Kay part-time

Pros

good work life balance
    buy for $1 sell for $2

Cons

sales directors are very pushy and want you to buy things you actually wont sell in order to make their own personal goals

"Can not sell product I personally would not use."

Former Employee - I Can Not Sell What I Can Not Personally Use
    Former Employee - I Can Not Sell What I Can Not Personally Use

Pros

The work schedule is flexible.

Cons

The start up costs are extremely high. The managers always push, push, push sales consultants to buy more products. Yet, they do not guide you or support you when you are selling the products. You are mostly told what you can't do as opposed to what you can do. Also, I tested many of the products on myself and I would not feel comfortable selling products that I would not use on myself.

Advice to Management

Some of the team leaders really do not give their best effort to help new sales consultants. They should be more willing to train or answer questions on product details for the sales consultants.

"Not Worth Your Time or Stress"

Current Employee - Independent Senior Beauty Consultant
    Current Employee - Independent Senior Beauty Consultant

Pros

You set your own hours
    Meet really fantastic ladies
    Huge tax writes offs
    Discounted products for personal use
    Good support from others in the same business

Cons

Easy to get sucked into buying far too much product
    Have to sell a ton of product to start actually start netting money
    Pressure from your upline to buy more product
    Constantly changing products that leave you stuck with discontinued items that you can't sell
    All training, even weekly training meetings, has a fee
    Tax write offs don't make up for the money you lose trying to keep up with your inventory

Advice to Management

My advice is more for others who are thinking about being an Independent Beauty Consultant. It is a very small percentage that can actually make a living at this. To make it work, you really have to be able to devote at least the equivalent of a full time job to it. The idea that you can make full time income with part time hours is not true at all. Your upline makes money off of the product you purchase from the company (not sell) and off of everything that your downline purchases from the company. The stress of trying to hold down a full time job, take care of my husband, keep up with church responsibilities, and do Mary Kay is not pleasant. The motto is "God first, Family second, Career third," but the company doesn't give you a way to make it actually work. I wish the company was more forth coming about what it really takes to succeed with this. If you have nothing else to do with your life right now, it may be worth a shot. Otherwise, it's not worth it and you'll probably lose money like I did.

"Back stabbing "Christians" out only for themselves"

Pros

Pay, benefits, were all top notch. They provide you with the golden handcuffs so you can't find another job that pays as well or that match the benefits.

Cons

poltical, political, political. No matter how good you are at your job, if someone doesn't like you, it's all down hill. Management does not protect employees but leave you hanging out to dry. Too many so called Christians at the company that do not know the meaning of the word! Moto is the Golden Rule, but in reverse, do unto others before they do it to you! Mean hateful management.

Advice to Management

Get rid of VP;s of Purchasing, Supply Scheduling, Production Planning, Transportation, Packaging Engineering, and then whittle it on down to Directors of those groups, then to the managers. Maybe then it would be the company Mary Kay Ash started.

"Recruiting and team building will not materialize for most consultants."

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

Pros

The sales side of the business is very straight forward. The skin care and cosmetics are excellent products and women do love them. I reached a #5 sales ranking for my National Area.

Cons

I became disenchanted when recruiting became the main focus. Definitely pressured into buying too big of an inventory. Cult-like culture was a turn-off.

Advice to Management

Let women embrace the sales aspect of the business rather than pushing them into team building.

"Lies, emotional traps, planning self-fortune on naive women's back"

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time

Pros

The illusions of being part of a family and loving to help others...

Cons

When the illusion becomes reality and we discover that there aren't anything like sharing : it's all about making money and fooling newcomers.

Advice to Management

Make sure that the ones leading still have a heart, not a handful of marketing lies to get rich !

"Toxic environment"

Former Employee - Manager, in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager, in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Other than that nothing

Cons

Toxic environment, co workers will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat, management is undermined by lower level employees, sales force run the business

Advice to Management

Let managers do what you hired them to do and manage. Don't listen to anyone who will talk and ask real questions to get to the bottom of issues. Don't let sales force and employees push others out with the toxic environment. When people work hard, allow them time off in lieu rather than work employees to the bone. They need to better model the culture Mary Kay wanted.