Mary Kay Reviews | Glassdoor

Mary Kay Reviews

Updated June 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • supportive management, honest coworkers, fantastic work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• great products, empowering women, fun hobby (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • There is always a push to be full time, even if you started out as part time (in 11 reviews)

• The dress code is ridiculous and outdated (in 10 reviews)

1. "Amazing company"

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mary Kay (More than a year)

Pros

Mary Kay has the best views related to work and life balance. it's a wonderful place to work.

Cons

There are none - once you work there - you'll love it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Problems with middle management at corporate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the corporate office. They had decent health benefits, a 401K (company matching) program, and paid time off. Company founder's mission to empower women through entrepreneurship, the "golden rule" of treating each other with respect, and building positive relationships with colleagues. There were good people there "in the trenches".

Cons

Toxic environment of drama, micromanagement, mistrust, egotistical management styles in middle management. It's too bad they didn't observe the company's tradition of the "golden rule". Unfortunately, they are not reprimanded for creating this harsh work environment, and the pattern just continued. Lots of gossip and politics = drama. Employees are encouraged to give feedback to management. But when I did, I was reprimanded. No room for growth. I was turned down three times for promotions. The excuse was "we need you too much here". When I realized that I couldn't stand being treated like one of my manager's children anymore, coupled with the lack of growth and stagnation, I chose to leave. The ones who stayed for the benefits called it the "golden handcuffs". It's the sales force who make the money and are considered valuable. Corporate employees were considered (and I quote) "liabilities."

Advice to Management

Please replace the members of your middle management, and have their peers survey them regularly. Subordinates may be too fearful to step forward and speak out. They will either leave like I did, or stay resentfully, and contribute to the toxic, unproductive environment.

3. "Best place I ever worked"

Former Employee - EU Sales & Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - EU Sales & Marketing in Dallas, TX

Pros

I love working here. I worked full-time at the corporate office. Wonderful work environment and people. Company truly values people. Lots of room for promotion/growth. Felt pay was more than fair. I left to stay home with my children. Would have not left otherwise.

Cons

There were a lot of meetings that sometimes felt unnecessary.

4. "Independent Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

you are your own boss, you make your own hours and once you have built up a clientele, the money comes to you

Cons

this job is not for everyone. You have to be self-motivated and a go-getter

Advice to Management

none

"Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Addison, TX

Pros

Mary Kay is a great internship in Dallas. I had the opportunity to really make the most of my time, meeting lots of people high up in the company. The open-door policy of being able to talk to anyone, no matter your title, is a huge plus when you're at the bottom of the food chain.

Pros: great pay for interns, positive environment, kind people, solid HR, good training for new employees

Cons

My department had a bit of a "clique" feel to it so I never felt like I was completely able to click with my department since they were already so close... not a bad thing for working there but tough for an intern. The company is also extremely conservative - which can be a good thing in a lot of ways but the dress-code was fairly outdated (skirts or dresses for women - only allowed to wear pants if you have a matching sweater or jacket). I had several weeks where I worked over 50 hours because of seminar - which made the work-life balance harder. (I had only planned to work 40 hours a week since i was taking summer school). Overall though, I loved it - the people are great, seminar is a BLAST, and I loved getting to learn from my department.

Advice to Management

Sit down and create expectations from the beginning - my manager was not involved and very hands off (rarely seen) but then got upset about halfway through my internship because I wasn't following the protocol preferred for reporting my progress. It was confusing as an employee but I just chalked it up to a lack of presence and moved on. Could have been worse! I think the issue is that the orientation is held as a large group of interns, not ever in your department. So, if I had spent a day out of the week of orientation getting oriented to my department, it would have been much easier for my manager to set expectations.

"Mary Kay Senior Independent Beauty Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Beauty Consultant in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Beauty Consultant in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Mary Kay (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, emphasis on outstanding customer service, high company integrity and strong partnership with company itself, opportunity to work with other fantastic beauty consultants and be positively effected and inspired by them. Opportunity to receive training and recruit other beauty consultants, moving up in your business as opportunity arises.

Cons

Some parties or facials would not net any proceeds and there could be some travel involved. As an independent consultant, sales leads had to be generated on your won, although oftentimes support could be provided.

Advice to Management

To make sure you are there to fully support your consultants in situations and for advice. The sales directors were very busy, understandably, yet it should never become tiresome to ask things of them when it is a legitimate need and recruiters also should be there for their recruits.

"Creative Services"

Former Employee - Print Production Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Print Production Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It was the best company I ever worked for.

Cons

I left because I didn't have to work at the time and I had a personality conflict with someone in upper management.

"Independent Sales Direcror UK"

Former Employee - Sales Director in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Naperville, IL

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training and confidence building available.

Cons

Must have money to start up business.

"Wonderful company, great benefits!"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company values, fun industry, the people make the difference. There is so much opportunity & the company supports your growth.

Cons

Silos can make it difficult. The teams are lean so there is a lot work, balancing it can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Great Leadership

10. "Independent Team Leader"

Current Employee - CBS Radio in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - CBS Radio in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Mary Kay (More than 3 years)

Pros

Girl Time, Positive work environment, No glass ceiling

Cons

I have no negative comments

Advice to Management

Thanks for the experience!