KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Mary Kay

Engaged Employer

Mary Kay

Add a Review

Mary Kay Employee Reviews about "inventory"

Updated Apr 8, 2021

4.1
Mary Kay President and CEO David B. Holl
David B. Holl

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits, memebers of against domestic violence, against thief’s, great with their consultants, and against felons.(in 56 reviews)
  • "Nice people work at this company and all align to one mission(in 44 reviews)
  • "The culture is great.(in 32 reviews)
  • "I love having my college degree but I love the quick and great money you can make!(in 29 reviews)
  • "fantastic and free training always!(in 25 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Mary Kay and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "inventory"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Sales Representive though mainly focused on creating marketing content for top National and Senior Sales Directors.

Apr 8, 2021 - Administrative Assistant in Lisle, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great training programs and work environment.

Cons

The sales can be challenging in that you can create your own discounts. Was difficult for me not to give the inventory at close to cost for me to friends and family.

2. 3.0
    Current Freelancer, more than 10 years

Opportunity for outgoing people

Jul 13, 2020 - Independent Beauty Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Immediate profit Set your own hours

Cons

Difficult to find customers You have to recruit new consultants to move up in the company You are encouraged to purchase a large amount of inventory upfront

3. 2.0
    Former Freelancer, more than 3 years

Only purchase what you can sell

May 7, 2020 - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Confidence boosting and you will gain people skills and have some fun.

Cons

They try to talk new consultants into purchasing large packages of inventory and even connect you to a credit card company while they are on the phone who will approve a credit line for the purchase.

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Team leader

Sep 8, 2018 - Team Leader
    Business Outlook

Pros

You meet some people who are genuinely nice.

Cons

Its a scam they get you to invest in a ton of inventory at first. You cant get rid of it and they don't care about you as a person. Your just a number the director uses to keep there status and free car. I lost money and I'm so glad I was smart enough not to get a credit card like they wanted me too

10 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Current Freelancer, more than 1 year

Interesting Experience

Aug 11, 2018 - Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can work your own hours, be your own boss, the parties can be fun, meet new people

Cons

You have to have inventory, it's all based on sales

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great flexible company

Apr 30, 2018 - Independent Beauty Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexable, supportive, great product, growth potential, positive environment, great support system, training.

Cons

Work alone, constantly out at events trying to network. Fronting the cost for inventory to build up your personal store. It’s not required but it is a lot more convenient to be able to have it on hand for your customers.

Continue reading
  7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

You make money when you have money.

Nov 8, 2017 -  in Santa Fe, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working for yourself independently. You are your own boss that you get to plan the hours you work that makes it really convenient . Decent money if you have a good customer base & You team build & promote yourself to director. You can earn tons of prizes from the company as well as your director. Training entrance which is always wonderful. A lot of wonderful amazing women you get to work on side of every day. You make women young & old feel like a million bucks- feel gorgeous-feel pretty-AND look instantly younger! A lot of happy people that will look stunning as they age. Guiding other ladies down the path of self care. Giving back to the community through fundraisers, etc. I’ve helped the Boys & Girls Clubs, nursing home residents, hospital patients, school children, contestants on gameshows, the list goes on & on. Finally, personal growth. You can team build anywhere in the US, and when/if you become a Director you can team build around the world. I believe it’s 33 countries that MK sales in. Love the 90% buyback guarantee. The opportunity to earn the use of a FREE car isn’t so bad either!

Cons

It felt like I had become a member of a cult. My family & friends felt the same way too. It was MK this, MK that, MK, MK, MK everything. Every waking moment I was engrossed with it in some fashion. There’s A lack of training in many areas. On the business side it’s a disgrace! As far as the training on taxes, having your office in order, and how to run a successful business -it is pretty much nil until about a month before tax time. Even then there is very minimal training- one hour tops. And they waste more paper! Everything has to be printed, because the training for everything is online just go and look in the filing cabinet on any Dierctors MK team page. Omg! I can’t tell you how many times I needed just a little help, non the less my Director would just toss me to the side & send me down the wild goose egg aisle. Once in said filing cabinet, you’ll peruse until you can’t peruse anymore. There is SO many awesome ideas, themes, omg it’s every woman’s wonderland! Except you’ve spent 4 hours looking for something that you never found, you can’t remember why you went there in the first place, you’ve wiped out 3 large oak trees that are happily now pieces of paper that are strewn across your lap, the couch, half the living room floor, into the kitchen stealing your entire kitchen table & all semblance of peace & order in your home. Now you have 22 SUPER ideas, that when you speak to & run past your Director she interjects before you can even get momentum-no, the reason why blah blah blah take this out do that different etc, spend 2-4 hours on the phone with her confusing your brain that’s already busting at the seams from information download to immma gonnnna blow! And indeed there she blows- my time, my emotions/ego, my spirituality, me-everything I have-a heart willing to do the job to the best of my ability-change the world one face at a time, make a difference, make everyone feel special, loved & cared...except me. I was a number. My ExDirector is part of the cult heritage that sadly has dictated this amazing company for many a decade. They have you invest as much as you can in inventory (5K retail investment in inventory is the golden goose of MK-that’s $10,000 in retail worth of makeup & beauty products. That’s a heck of a lot! This product mainly all has a shelf life, so it’s been sitting in a warehouse 2-4 years, you get it, it has to be sold before expiration. That should be easy enough to know-The expiration date – you would think, but nope it’s some Davinci code that’s so complicated & weird. Impossible! Once I figured it out (I think I did anywho) it seemed like my product only had about a year to two years left to sell it. You don’t sell it, it expires...you’re the brand new owner of old beauty products you can’t sell-you can’t wear, it’s useless & now trash-garbage yep.heres a good question: Why would you punish your loyal Independant beauty consultants? Why have us write off the loss? Wouldn’t a big, huge company whose sales annually are in the millions- wouldn’t it be beneficial for everybody if they would write it off? Here’s what happened to me- Everything trickles down to the person that invests in themselves to become a part of Mary Kay- as an independent beauty consultant who invests everything they have in their heart- their songs- their dreams and passions and every time it comes out of our Pocket. Lots of prizes, but they’re cheap little trinkets that are sparkly and shiny oh so pretty-for a few times that you wear it then the copper starts rubbing off- from China for our prizes and then they don’t even have thebdecency to takeThe tacky round Made in China stickers off. This company feeds off of their salesforce that is their bread-and-butter. The lack of training -true training and having a quality leader someone that isn’t a cult queen- my ExDirector literally teaches that people are numbers & you have to just go through them-next, next, next in order to earn the car or become director. Not all are like her and most of the Mary Kay cult is finally retiring & leaving. Thankfully! Excellent company & a great way to make money if you have money. if you don’t have money do not get into direct sales. go get a regular job, get on your feet-meet people at that job and you’ll be meeting your future customers that will be the catapult to you leaving your 9-5 & being a lady BOSS-operating your very own business! Be smart work smart & Good luck!

Continue reading
    6 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Current Freelancer

Team Leader with Mary Kay

Nov 13, 2017 - Anonymous Freelancer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Discount for personal use Great product

Cons

Carrying inventory is expensive and it seems I still never have what a customer is looking for