Mary Washington Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mary Washington Healthcare President and CEO Michael McDermott, MD
Michael McDermott, MD

Pros
Cons
  • poor middle and upper management (in 6 reviews)

• Healthcare in general is a very challenging and high stress career (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"It's a Great Place to Be Your Best"

I have been working at Mary Washington Healthcare full-time

Pros

Mary Washington Healthcare takes care of its Associates as well as of the community. You'll feel welcome, asked for your input, and have many opportunities to grow yourself in your job. You'll know about the organization's goals, strategies and how you fit into the greater good.The Leadership team gets to know their staff and builds relationships so you feel free to ask questions and get answers. You will find great leadership support as they invest in programs to give leaders "real" experiences as well as tools to prepare them to bring their best selves forward and succeed into higher roles. If you want to be part of place where you can be the one to make a difference and positively impact those around you, you will enjoy being part of this organization who makes it a great place to work.

Cons

None come to mind so far!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great opportunities to talk openly with leadership at all levels!

2. "Supply Chain Solutions Coordinator"

Current Employee - Virginia in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Virginia in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Mary Washington Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome place to work. Great people and values.

Cons

Heavy work load but managable if you do your job.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

3. "RN"

Current Employee - Charge RN in Stafford, VA
    Current Employee - Charge RN in Stafford, VA

Pros

Pay is good. Pay is good

Cons

Incompetent Management. Favortism. Human resources is unfair. They always side with the company that writes them a check!

Advice to Management

Stop putting your friends in management positions and treat people fairly. Put qualified candidates into management positions and stop "the good ole boy, friends and family system"

"Great staff with awful management"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at Mary Washington Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Staff amazing and caring in all areas of the system.

Cons

Senior management gets their bonuses and cut promised employee benefits

Advice to Management

Stop lining your pockets at expense of staff and patient care.

"Poor Management"

Current Employee - Cardiac Monitor Technician in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Cardiac Monitor Technician in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Mary Washington Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good portion of the employees absolutely care about their work and the patrons of the hospital. Mary Washington used to exude confidence and a positive culture.

Cons

Negative work environment coupled with unskilled management.

"RN"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stafford, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stafford, VA

Pros

There are no pros for this facility

Cons

They give travelers the longest, most awful, hardest assignments

Advice to Management

Get new management

8. "Home health physical therapist"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Mary Washington Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, mileage reimbursement, good health benefits and patient-oriented management team. Staff tries to work together to improve workload among the team.

Cons

Average salary, but the health benefits help to compensate. If you do not need health benefits, the pay per visit rate is good. If you are willing to be flexible in where you travel you can keep busy.

Advice to Management

Increase referral base for more consistent work flow.

"Think carefully before taking a job here!"

Former Employee - Clerical/Administrative in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Clerical/Administrative in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at Mary Washington Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A paycheck of course, the co-workers I worked with and being able to help the patient's.

Cons

First off, if you are reading all of these glowing 4 & 5 star reviews, realize the hospital has been on "damage control" trying to reverse it's image here on Glassdoor. If you want to really know what it going on with this company, PLEASE take the time and go back several pages to see what people are really saying. Someone or a group of people are coming on this website putting up fake positive reviews about how great it is to work here. Don't be naive and buy into this.

The job I had to do in and of itself was not bad and I actually would probably still be working here if it were not for the people I had to work under. It was dealing with inept managers, who thought they were doing us a favor by simply being in their presence. If you enjoy working with large numbers of people who are narcissistic, moody and like to micro manage every move you make, then you will do just fine here. One of the biggest changes they made was combining various positions into one job title. This of course caused high stress and burn out among many employees in various positions.

In my department alone, I can't even tell you how many people were either forced out or quit their jobs. And I am talking about really good people with a lot of education, job experience and numerous credentials behind their name. As long as you tow the line, you will probably be alright. Go against your manager on anything or question something that is being done, you will end up with a big target on your back and writing your own pink-slip.

I thought the problems were confined to my department, but when I would talk with other people that I knew in other parts of the hospital, they would tell me they were having similar issues. This told me that there was a systemic problem throughout. Of course the ones that end up suffering the most from all of this dysfunction are the patient's. Just google reviews of the hospital on the internet from patient's who have come to this hospital, it speaks volumes...

Advice to Management

Lead by example, not by fear and intimidation!

"Too Many Executives, poor management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stafford, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stafford, VA

I worked at Mary Washington Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is okay but could be better

Cons

Management doesn't listen or doesn't care. Way too many executives and still adding more while clinical staff is constantly short staffed. Go through reorganization and keep the same bad managers. Executives are clueless and HR won't help with anything other than covering a Manager or the company.

Advice to Management

Practice the I care values you preach about, do something positive like resign

11. "Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Property Analyst in Spotsylvania, VA
    Former Employee - Property Analyst in Spotsylvania, VA

I worked at Mary Washington Healthcare (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent place to work

Cons

They look out for the clinical associates more than the non-clinical ones especially those not in management positions

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to non-clinical, non-management associates