Maryland Environmental Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great if do what you should do."

Current Employee - Operator II in Millersville, MD
    Current Employee - Operator II in Millersville, MD

I have been working at Maryland Environmental Service (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good, hours are good. Work isn't to hard either. Supervisors and upper management is good to you if you actually do the right things.

Cons

Starting pay can be a little low, but great increases for motivated workers.
    Sometimes you work with less than desirable co workers..... it's hard to fire people for some reason.

Advice to Management

Quicker communication to employees issues.

2. "Intern review"

I have been working at Maryland Environmental Service full-time

Pros

Great office and friendly people.

Cons

Some political issues, but it is an independent state agency.

3. "While technically a public corporation, MES suffers from government dysfunction"

I worked at Maryland Environmental Service full-time

Pros

Laid back, job security, flexible hours, cross training is available

Cons

Raises and advancement are not correlated to performance.

Advice to Management

You've established an environment where high performers leave because the salary and benefits are tied to a single metric- years of experience. You will miss out on capturing high-caliber millenials as lifetime employees. Low performers stick around because job security means you can't get rid of them.

Fundamental changes are needed at MES to adapt to the new world of employment structure. If other Maryland public agencies tighten their belts, you will have extreme difficulty competing with the private sector.

"Administrative II"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Waldorf, MD
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Waldorf, MD

I worked at Maryland Environmental Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Had really good benefits and retirement plan.

Cons

They seemed to be more focused on the Main office employees than the ones that worked the most out at there facilities.

Advice to Management

Think how you really treat your employees.

"Okay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laurel, MD

I worked at Maryland Environmental Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, equipment, interaction with community

Cons

The evaluation point system was weak.

Advice to Management

Pay and evaluation system could use an upgrade.

"Such a shame..."

I have been working at Maryland Environmental Service full-time

Pros

MES offers the State of MD Health Benefits....

Cons

This is an extremely cut throat environment. I have worked at MES 10 years, and still cannot wrap my head around the unjust treatment to certain employees. If you're apart of a "Cliche", all is well, if not? Watch your back. The discipline policy is a joke. There are no advocates for the employees. None. In name only. Why management doesn't understand that a "bad" employee is a reflection of them, is just another reason, 90% of management is poor at MES. Turnover? I never seen a company have this high of turnover. There is no incentive to want to stay. I don't believe they understand that happy, taken care of, motivated employees? Work harder, and productive. Unless you're a friend, or personally liked by your boss? You won't experience that. The tools are there...but the people that could use them? Are self serving, selfish people, that actually convince themselves it's not them, or not their job, to use them. As long as there are allowed to continue in this manner? This company will never grow into the potentially awesome company it could be. So, until then, management will pick up there hefty paychecks for barely showing up, and employees, will wander, doing only the bare essentials to get by, to pick up there measly paychecks. I don't know why you wound'nt want to work for a company considered the "Employer of Choice". Not, oh, MES...they suck, but I need a job!! The handful of employees that have addrrssed the poor management? Well....let's just say...their not around for very long afterwards...Do you really want mindless clones, that feel as though they have to say what you want to hear only? Diversity, is good. And depending on where you work at? Is how things are rated important. It is the MANAGERS duty to help grow their employees! Which brings us full circle. You are only as good as your "worse employee". Come on MES. Throw some cold water on your face and wake up! Hire consultants if need be. Because what's in place now? Either, only cares about themselves, and the few people they look out for...or just dont know what to do. Either way? Not good.

Advice to Management

Please...remember to take care of all your employees, not just the ones you like. It is YOUR job, to make YOUR employees the best they can be. Not by just "discipling" them at every turn, but by knowing their strengths and weaknesses. Realize, that everyone has something different to bring to the table. Not just the same boring clone crap! Be their advocate. I have seen management "side" with employees that bad mouth their own...who does that? Ive had bosses at previous jobs, that absolutely went to the mat, EVERY DAY to defend there own. Not here!

"Senior Geologist"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Towson, MD

I worked at Maryland Environmental Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work helping local governmental bodies with environmental issues.

Cons

Very stovepipied. Very little interaction between groups within the Service. Lose of good ideas and interactions.

Advice to Management

Fix the problem

"Decent place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at Maryland Environmental Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are awesome; great work life balance.

Cons

Management takes advantage of the laid back work environment. It is all about company politics. No raises in quite some time.

Advice to Management

show up and manage your team

"Sucks"

Pros

From supervisor on up... They are asinine idiots. Bottom of the barrel. No pros!

Cons

Hi jacked my every other weekend. Help was promised but never hired

"Legal Intern"

Former Employee - Legal Clerk in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Legal Clerk in Frisco, TX

I worked at Maryland Environmental Service (Less than a year)

Pros

OAG was a very friendly environment, they allowed me flexibility in my work, allowing me to focus on things that interested me. I highly recommend it for any law student interested in Environmental Law.

Cons

There were no cons about working at MES.