Maryland Institute College of Art Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great Job"

I have been working at Maryland Institute College of Art part-time

Pros

Staff is great!!!!!!!!!! Hard working

Cons

Can be super busy at times.

2. "Supportive, quirky, sometimes disfunctional college."

I have been working at Maryland Institute College of Art full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MICA has an amazingly supportive atmosphere with collaborative, dynamic colleagues who make you want to go to work everyday. MICA also provides excellent benefits, and the added bonus of seeing art on campus every day.

Cons

The pay is low, although this is common in higher ed. Also, as an art school, MICA is somewhat out of touch with best standards in the field of higher education- the desire to be true to "art school mentality" can cripple the college's progress. Finally, there is no accountability for faculty which breeds resentment in staff.

Advice to Management

Clean house and engage in the wider field of higher education. Replace salons of thought with action when trying to advance the college's mission.

3. "Accounts Payable"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Maryland Institute College of Art full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company compensate employees well based on salary and fringe

Cons

Nothing negative I can think of

5. "Staff fulltime"

Pros

Good work environment, good benefits,friendly and professional atmosphere

Cons

Not much room for advancement

Advice to Management

do performance reviews to hand out raises. as of now, you only get a raise if your job description changes.

6. "Staff"

I worked at Maryland Institute College of Art full-time

Pros

Great retirement benefits and health benefits

Cons

Lack of consistent communication

Advice to Management

award more opportunities for advancement and add a week of winter holiday vacation like majority of other schools

7. "Retaliates against student-employees reporting sexual assaults and dating violence."

Pros

There is a wonderful environment of caring and thoughtful students and teachers.

Cons

I stated that I had been sexual assaulted and subject to dating violence by a student co-worker to multiple administrators and was denied accommodations (such as no longer having to participate in work-related responsibilities with this co-worker, even after stating I was suicidal). I was told by administrators that my only option for securing these accommodations was to file a Title IX grievance with the HR department. After filing the Title IX grievance, and finding staff/faculty who believed and supported me, I was retaliated against by administration for doing so.

Advice to Management

Support students in need.

8. "Director"

I worked at Maryland Institute College of Art full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good evniorment for creativity

Cons

Horrible hr department and employee support

Advice to Management

Listen and eliminate clique mentality

9. "It was fine"

I worked at Maryland Institute College of Art part-time

Pros

There is a good work/life balance and the students are great, overall. It's a fun place to be for a few years.

Cons

There are a lot of personal politics at play and the students sometimes can get overwhelmed with classes.

10. "Great work place"

Pros

Surrounded by creativity and art goodness.

Cons

Can be repetitive sometimes when there is nothing new to do.

11. "Work Study Student"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Maryland Institute College of Art part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a simple minimum-wage job and they are obligated to schedule around your classes, which can be a problem if you apply for an outside job. You don't need any prior experience since it's based on need (so this can also be a nice way to get experience for your resume) Usually the jobs are very easy, often just basic office work. I worked in 3 different departments until I voluntarily dropped the workstudy program, and my average duties were: cleaning, filing, basic research, shredding, running errands, working the front desk (or the equivalent of), answering the phone, etc. If there wasn't any work to be done, most of my supervisors were happy to let me do homework in the office.

Cons

You might think that doing workstudy at an art school would involve more art - the majority of the positions are just office work. So they can serve as resume padding, but you probably won't gain any experience or knowledge relevant to the field you're studying.

Some of the departments that have workstudy positions open honestly do not need workstudies, and if you have a lot of homework that can't be done on a laptop, you may feel like you are wasting your time for 5 hours a week.

As a need-based student, you have little to no control over what position you are assigned. Sometimes the positions you are assigned may require you to interact with a lot of strangers aka "customer service skills" and some people are not skilled in that area or are very uncomfortable with it. Since you are getting paid and presumably have a need for the money, you kind of have to suck it up, but if you have serious or debilitating social anxiety, it's something to consider.

Advice to Management

Nothing really, there are possible improvements but realistically being aware of MICA's environment and budget, the workstudy positions are pretty fair.