Maryland Judiciary Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great Experience and learning opportunity"

Former Employee - Judicial Clerkship in Upper Marlboro, MD
    Former Employee - Judicial Clerkship in Upper Marlboro, MD

Pros

I cannot stress how important it is to do a clerkship before entering the work force. It was a great experience. I learned the dos and don'ts as a practicing attorney and was able to gain so much knowledge from my Judge.

Cons

Ordinarily, the clerkship lasts one year regardless of whether you have secured employment. Your experience is specific to your judge and the area of law he/she presides over and his/her temperament.

2. "Lots of Bureaucracy"

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Maryland Judiciary full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If your manager is willing to go to bat for you then it's a decent work environment. The pay was crap until the compensation study held recently.

Cons

A lot of the perks mentioned depend entirely on whom you work for and where. I know people that work in other departments that have more or less latitude, depending on who I talk to. Telework is a myth. No real upward mobility, though you can probably get a title change or two. Health care cost is amazing.

Advice to Management

Just because we are state employees, don't assume we're okay with low pay and low performance.

"State Court Administrator/Chief Judge view staff as useless"

Former Employee - Mid Level Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Mid Level Manager in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Maryland Judiciary full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits, which used to be some of the best, have gone down throughout the years.

Cons

Low morale, no management appreciation. self absorbed chief judge

Advice to Management

After your retreats/lunches/fancy dinners and travels...look outside of your selfish agendas and look at the real staff that is performing with the public.

"staff attorney"

Former Employee - Staff Attorney in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Staff Attorney in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Maryland Judiciary (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the pros of being a staff attorney is that you have the opportunity to review interesting cases, and write legal opinions regarding the appeals

Cons

The Court of Special Appeals has very poor leadership, as the Chief Judge is a very political person who has a very poor sense of how to govern a Court. He lies about why he is doing things; for example, if he forces someone to retire he asks the person to tell everyone it was a voluntary act. The Judge frequently goes on these impulsive firing sprees.

Advice to Management

You should retire as soon as possible, allowing someone with ethical standards to govern the State appellate court.

5. "IT Specialist"

Current Employee - IT Support in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - IT Support in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Maryland Judiciary full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible. Great Environment. No Micromanagement

Cons

Lack of management. Unorganized, Time Management. No Communication

"The Best"

Current Employee - Law Clerk to A Judge in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Law Clerk to A Judge in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Maryland Judiciary full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Networking, Personal Growth, Legal Development

Cons

Could get boring at times

Advice to Management

None

"The Maryland Judiciary is filled with great people serving the citizens of Maryland as best they can in difficult times."

Current Employee - Program Director in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Program Director in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Maryland Judiciary full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, valuable work, helping others. You know that what you do makes a difference for the citizens of the state, including your own community.

Cons

Tight and sometimes unpredictable budgets, arcane IT and some arcane attitudes to go with it, uber-conservative when it comes to change.

Advice to Management

Trust your people; embrace new technologies, especially the value of social media; work on lifting up everyone instead of keeping everyone down to the lowest level.

8. "Pretty good job."

Current Employee - Law Clerk in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Law Clerk in Rockville, MD

Pros

Great colleagues; it's like one big happy family. There is somewhat good job stability and there are great benefits because it is a government job.

Cons

As a law clerk, your job is temporary, so there isn't much job security. Also, as in any position, people don't always respond well to new hires.

Advice to Management

Try to make people feel more included. Have more social gatherings that don't necessarily cost money. The case management system also needs an update.

9. "Great Work with Great People"

Former Employee - Staff Attorney
    Former Employee - Staff Attorney

I worked at Maryland Judiciary full-time

Pros

The work is both interesting and challenging. Staff Attorneys treat each other as peers irrespective of their level of experience, and everyone is always willing to discuss and look into a complicated issue that might be causing trouble for one person.

Cons

No real possibility for promotion, and is not specialized experience to add to your resume.

10. "Law Clerk"

Current Employee - Judicial Law Clerk
    Current Employee - Judicial Law Clerk

I have been working at Maryland Judiciary full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working as a law clerk is a great opportunity, and it seems to open doors for everyone that I've met here at the Maryland judiciary. I haven't been here long, but I've seen several law clerks leave their positions for jobs at good law firms at the end of their term. The benefits are excellent -- my health insurance is essentially completely paid for by the employer. I have no co-pay for seeing my doctor or a specialist, and I typically pay nothing at all for prescriptions (I use Kaiser Permanente).

Cons

The pay is low -- high 40s to roughly 50k for appellate clerks, low 40s for Circuit Court clerks, and high 30s/low 40s for District Court clerks. I've seen a few people that stayed with the court system for more than two years, at which point they're promoted to Senior Clerk. That comes with a significant pay increase -- I believe salary goes to roughly 75k.