KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Maryland SECU Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2021

Found 79 of over 84 reviews

3.1
Maryland SECU President/CEO David Sweiderk  (no image)
David Sweiderk
Pros
  • "Great benefits and decent compensation(in 11 reviews)

• "There are no pros to working at SECU(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Opportunities to enhance work life balance(in 5 reviews)

• "No room for growth within the Organization and pay(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Great Culture

Apr 30, 2021 - Relationship Banker in Silver Spring, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work culture and employment engagement at the branch level.

Cons

Hard for PT employees to transition to FT

Vice President, People Experience

Thank you for sharing your experience and for your unwavering commitment to our members and communities - your efforts never go unnoticed. We are proud of our culture and how we engage with employees, so your spotlighting of our efforts means a lot! At a time when there is so much on our employees' minds and hearts, we have built greater genuine emotional connections with all employees, especially those that have been on the front line during the pandemic. #weareinthistogether is not just a hashtag, it's our mantra! SECU is committed to the growth and personal development of our employees. Most of our part-time positions are in our Video Teller Center, and we have had a number of part-time employees transition to full-time hours, when a full-time position opens. As we focus on being a trusted partner to our employees, we will always strike a balance between business need and doing right by the needs of our employees. This balance will better position us on our path to greater connectedness as we lead with our hearts to foster full-circle well-being for our employees, members and communities.

2. 3.0

Good Intentions Terrible Execution

Jun 26, 2021 - Data Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

My team was an extremely talented group of hard-working individuals. Some of the best managers I saw on the BI team with an amazing CMO. A lot of holidays off. They give personal days too which is nice. You are allowed to work remotely permanently which is one of the best things about working there.

Cons

1: They transfer teams to a vendor without any regard to the repercussions it will cause. 2: They let many people go during COVID to only announce they had one of the most profitable years ever 3: There is little support for any technical advancements 4: They will make decisions without any inferential statistics used 5: Too many people happy with the status quo 6: I do not believe the CEO knows what he is doing or even understands any data reportings given to him 7: They keep saying they will rework job titles and salaries but never actually do it 8: Pay is below market rate but they will claim their "research" shows it is not 9: Only executives get bonuses, regular employees will only get 1-4% raise each year. 10: They believe given reward points and gift cards can make people happy instead of paying them what they are worth 11: No real KPIs 12: They outsourced their IT team so it takes months to get anything done 13: Not a lot of room for career growth

3. 4.0

Great 9-5 at any point in your career

Feb 23, 2021 - Teller Services Representative in Linthicum Heights, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Emphasis on work/life balance - Give you every opportunity to advance yourself if you ask - Full confidentiality and accommodation for physical or mental health needs - Annual raises

Cons

- Very high customer service standards that's only a negative if you struggle with social interaction.

Vice President, People Experience

Thank you for sharing your SECU experience - we appreciate your commitment to our members and for selflessly serving on the front-line during the pandemic. You and all of our front-line employees are our financial heroes, and we could not deliver service to our members without you! With employee wellness top of mind, we strive to cultivate and sustain an environment that is focused on work/life integration - we recognize the demands life places on our employees and we strongly believe in encouraging our employees to not lose sight of the need for balance and the impact that has on overall well-being. As we have spent the last year responding to the pandemic to ensure the safety of our employees and members, we have also refreshed our learning culture to best focus on helping our employees feel more confident and competent to grow in their careers while making impactful contributions in all they do. SECU is transforming and we are committed to the growth and professional development of our employees. Everything we do leads with heart and connecting with every member to provide the solutions-oriented consultation they deserve. #puttheheartinbanking #kindnessmatters #lifeatsecu

4. 1.0

Exploitation at it's finest

Sep 8, 2020 - Teller Services Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are no Pros here

Cons

Overworked and Underpaid, Exploitation, Robots, Unfair

AVP, Human Resources

Thank you for your honest feedback - we appreciate your candor and are saddened to hear your experience is not living up to our collective standards. We recognize the scope of the work and overall importance of our Teller Service Representatives (TSRs), and perhaps how we express our appreciation while managing to how we deliver service to our members during a pandemic is not being received as we intend. It seems there might be an opportunity for us to sit down and talk through your concerns openly and honestly. We invite you to schedule some time with your leadership team and/or human resources as we would like to explore your experience further with you. Thanks!

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Ok

Oct 17, 2020 - Member Advisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Your off on Sundays and early on Saturday

Cons

Not a job if your not interested in long-term banking

Vice President, People Experience

Thank you for sharing your experience - we are thankful for your service to SECU and our members. Our financial centers are open 6 days/week for our members, by appointment only during the pandemic as a safety measure for our employees and members. With the demands of integrating work and life, we provide flexibility to those working on Saturdays by offering a "flex" day during the week. SECU is transforming - we are effecting change from the inside out and the ground up, and we know that we can't do this without our employees. We are committed to our employees' growth and overall professional development and we strive to be a long-term destination organization. In fact, over the last year, many in our branches have been promoted within the branch network while others have been promoted to growth opportunities in other areas, such as Lending, Finance, HR and Operations. And, there are more growth opportunities on the horizon. We are embarking on a journey of connectedness...connectedness to our mission to put the heart in banking, connectedness to our employees, and connectedness to one another. This journey is all about growth and we're excited by what lies ahead for our members, communities and employees.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee

Jul 30, 2020 - Loan Processor in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice place to work and lunch

Cons

Not enough room for growth

AVP, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experience - we love that you find SECU to be a nice place to work after 10+ years! As you may know, we have been working hard on the employee journey (which includes professional development opportunities) and we recognize a need for better defined career paths across all areas of the organization. We are transforming...with transformation comes opportunity, so we continue our work to identify and create clearer career paths. You are an important part of our evolution and we want you to continue to grow with us!

7. 2.0
      Former Employee

Ok

Aug 17, 2020 - Teller in Linthicum, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Try hard to work with your availability

Cons

Supervisors micromanage and sometimes are rude. Technology literally always fail

AVP, Human Resources

We appreciate your candor in sharing your experience of 10+ years with SECU! We understand how demanding it can be to integrate work and life outside of work, so we do strive to offer flexibility with work schedules as best we can. We will continue our focus in this regard, especially with the challenges presented during the pandemic. Our technology is an area of opportunity - we recognize it and continue to make strides to enhance the infrastructure, ensuring as much reliability as possible so not to create disruption to servicing our employees and members. Our culture is strong where we are collaborative and strive to hold ourselves and one another accountable. It's important to us to build and foster meaningful relationships with employees where real connections are made - our intention is not to micromanage or be rude in any way, and we are disheartened if that was your experience.

8. 4.0

Great Opportunity! Amazing if you put in the work

Jul 20, 2019 - Relationship Banker in Annapolis, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing team atmosphere! Large corporation with a very close knit brick and mortar feel. Decent pay. Consistent training and coaching. Hands on and invested management/upper management team Generous benefits and personal leave. Great opportunity and room for growth if you put in the work.

Cons

Sales goals with tight cap on commission :(

9. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

I care about the place, and want to see change.

Jul 31, 2019 - Manager in Linthicum, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The new CEO has an interesting vision, and seems committed to making some large - and definitely needed - cultural changes. So far the changes have been fairly minimal in our area, but the pace of change will need to continue to accelerate to remain competitive. - The mission of a credit union and the people it tends to attract. Many of the people working in upper management at SECU likely could move to more lucrative roles outside the credit union space, but choose not to. This seems to filter out the greedy/grifter types of personalities that are common in the financial world. - In our department, if we can prove something would be a benefit to members (without a concrete dollar value attached) then it is prioritized. - Benefits, 401k reimbursement (although a long vesting time), and putting serious cash towards training, education, and development.

Cons

- Disorganization and lack of expertise at the upper levels. It's become clear that there are disconnects/changes at the highest levels that existed before the CEO change, but there are still odd things happening now. Projects get mismanaged, old processes get followed simply because "that's the way it is", and proposed changes to processes are ignored or shut-down. - The last decade of knowledge in terms of product design and user experience is lost on the people making decisions relating to those things. Rather than hiring people outside the financial space with experience in those fields, expertise is outsourced and overpriced + less effective solutions are used instead. - They're behind the times in many ways, and lack the intestinal fortitude to make big changes quickly. If you're looking for an institution that is looking for people that will help transform the organization/processes/etc, you will find very few teams that are prioritizing that. This is a common problem in old financial institutions, but will soon become a bigger and bigger issue as it becomes a competitive disadvantage. The slower they act now, the faster they will have to act in the future - not a good sign. - Politics. This will vary depending on what team you are in, but there is a spiderweb of processes and procedures maintained by long-time individuals in the company. This kills a lot of the spirit and drive of some of the more ambitious and caring employees. It also seems to create a culture of people being afraid to be outside the norm. There are some changes happening with culture, but the formality and knowing whose back to scratch is still an absolute innovation killer.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Heavy workload and Under Compensated.

Jul 17, 2019 - Member Advisor
      Business Outlook

Pros

They promote a nice culture and offer a lot of trainings to help educate you.

Cons

Salaries are under what the market offers for a similar position. A Member Advisor is considered a sales job, however there is no commission. The only way to make money beyond your salary is to get a bonus at the end of the quarter. But the bonus is only paid to the top 30 advisors out of the entire company, which is around 22 branches. Even if you lead your branch in production, you still may not make a bonus because the bonus is not just determined by your production, but also the production of your branch. So, you can knock it out of the park each quarter but if your branch doesn't meet its goals you may not get a bonus. The top bonus is $1,000, which only goes to the top 5 advisors, then it slides down to $250 depending on where you land in the top 30. And that's quarterly! SECU is notorious for system issues, daily. If you work there or patron there you are guaranteed to here, " I am having a problem with my system." Guaranteed. The workload is exorbitant to say the lease, and it becomes a lot heavier when having to deal with system delays and crashes, and not to mention managers that very rarely can offer solutions to issues, whether its a system issue, question about policy, or how to navigate their own data management software. They are not eager to give promotions, at least in the Member Advisor role. The only promotion you may receive is promotion to Member Advisor II or III. But, during my time there, I often saw a lot of excuses given from management to their top advisors as to why they wouldn't promote them to MA II or III, even though they exceeded their production goals . One of my colleagues was more knowledgeable than my manager, and he had been waiting for a promotion to MA III for three years. When I left he still hadn't been promoted. High employee turnover.

2 people found this review helpful