MasTec Advanced Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
MasTec Advanced Technologies CEO José R. Mas
José R. Mas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company truck, gas card, benefits, lots of room for opportunity I've seen people climb the ladder fast but they didn't last long either" (in 28 reviews)

• "Paid gas in company vehicle & company phone" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not a lot but i would say Work life balance" (in 14 reviews)

• "Long hours if you're slow and no pay for those hours" (in 19 reviews)

1. "Demanding BUT Hard Work will Pay off."

Current Employee - Installation Technician in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Installation Technician in Rochester, NY

I have been working at MasTec Advanced Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large diversified company that is well positioned for the future. Very safety oriented and continues to develop it's safety culture to ensure the safety of it's employees IF you follow the Golden Rules of Safety and company policies. Full disclosure, The role of a field technician is demanding, challenging, and often requires long hours in adverse working conditions. If you are self motivated and like a challenge and are willing to compromise some personal time upfront, you may find yourself with a satisfying career many years later in a management position. Keys to success, Work-life balance sounds great, but it’s getting tougher to achieve. Having a personal life in client-facing industries will always be challenging but not impossible. Invest in your relationships with colleagues. “Your personal life is very often enhanced by your satisfaction with your professional life. You work hard. Choose pleasure when you can find the time,don't waste the spare time. Do something to reward yourself for choosing a tough but great career. Be as efficient, and organized as you possibly can. It will lead to success and satisfaction in a very challenging environment.

Cons

None if you have a long term outlook, and not just think of it as another job.

Advice to Management

With the recent changes with Mastec's main client and their metric expectations, along with our goal of diversifying our business , I think Mastec AT can finally make SAFETY and work life balance a priority and not just a dream and become an employer of choice. I'm confident our leaders see the same opportunity.

"MasTec"

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Abilene, TX

I worked at MasTec Advanced Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent, company vehicle, and free DirectTv service.

Cons

Management, work hours, inconsistency with having work.

"Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coral Gables, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coral Gables, FL

I worked at MasTec Advanced Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees get along well

Cons

Senior leadership talks about culture and team but they dont walk the talk. We did several team building programs and the employees used it but leadership was not engaged.

Advice to Management

Practice what you say

4. "satellite installer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

Pros

may be good salary not like now they pay me as piece work

Cons

as of now im working at mastec company for almost 13 years my experience was good and sometimes not good epecially earning money to pay my bill.

Advice to Management

i dont know if its good or bud coz i think any company is all the same policies.

"stay away you can do better"

Former Employee - DirecTV Technician in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - DirecTV Technician in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at MasTec Advanced Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing don't waste one second on mastec you'll be better off flipping crabby patties

Cons

no personal life
    no hourly pay
    1000 stupid rules
    customers
    supervisors are stupid and poorly trained
    hot as hell in the summer
    cold as hell in the winter
    always wrong even when you right
    super high turn over rate
    they work you like dogs
    low pay
    dirty house
    dirty customers
    routes make no sense at times
    paying for the van
    all the other things they charge you for
    did I say crappy pay

Advice to Management

ha that's funny

"Not Employee Friendly"

Former Employee - Lead Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at MasTec Advanced Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has eliminated any Pros the job has had.

Cons

Claims to be safety oriented, but they on a daily basis prove they are just there for their bonuses (telling techs to still work even though they had a gun aimed at them). There is no accountability on any management above a Field Tech Supervisor. Pay is being cut on a monthly basis it seems (Lost over $12,000/yr in cuts in last 8 months). Techs get fired for stuff out of their control. There is no communication at all from Management. Super long hours, 10+ hours of work booked on you with about 5-7 hours of driving total for the day, with being over 2 hours away from home (Still expected to wake up and be at first job by 8 even with the 2 hour drive back there). Will be forced to clock out of a lunch break (Even if you don't take one Management will tell you to still log a lunch). Your overtime is not calculated correctly, and Paychecks are consistently wrong. Vehicles provided by company rarely get fixed.

Advice to Management

Please go back to be a company that is there for their employees and not a bottom line oriented company. Was a very good place to work at a few years ago, but now it isn't worth it, techs almost pay you to work for you.

"Technician"

Current Employee - Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Technician in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at MasTec Advanced Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits......that's it, yes that's it

Cons

Worked at company for 2 years and the culture at this company is very nonchalant when it comes to keeping employees happy, therefore they have a very high turnover rate no one ever stays there long and for good reason

You never know what time your going to get off work and most of the time it's late, I mean very late like 9 and 10pm, leaving you with no time to have a life or spend time with your family.

Dont expect to get any type of assistance from management if you ever have a real problem because most of the time the only answers your going to get is "there nothing I can do about it", there was a time that I wondered what was the point of having supervisors because they did absolutely nothing other then hold meetings once a week at 6 in the morning that are ABSOLUTELY pointless because everything you cover in the meeting could easily sent out in an email.

Not to mention you will be working every holiday except Christmas and Thanksgiving and even then you'll have to work on Christmas eve and Thanksgiving eve, unless your lucky enough to have that day off already, and on top of everything else they will change your schedule with you really being able to do anything about it and to add insult to injury YOU WILL NEVER HAVE WEEKENDS OFF PERIOD!!!!

People only stay here because they either aren't ambitious enough to want a better life for themselves or they have a shaky background and know they cant work anywhere else....the only reason I stayed at the company for so long is because I'm loyal but this company doesn't appreciate loyalty and they will show you that if you stay around long enough.

Advice to Management

Go back to management school and learn how to do it the right way!

"Worst company I’ve worked for"

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in San Antonio, TX

Pros

If you work good, fast and ignore all the warehouse and management BS you can make great money

Cons

Poor management, nothing ever gets done promptly, technicians are always at blame, constantly changing rules and adding extra BS to make our job harder to accomplish

Advice to Management

Stop trying to evolve and add extra steps let us do our jobs, also technicians should not get back charges for receivers that were installed as “drop ship”... stop giving all production jobs to subcontractors

9. "Technician"

Former Employee - Technician in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Technician in El Paso, TX

I worked at MasTec Advanced Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to experience other cities. There was a lot of perks such as they Paid for your hotel when you traveled for work and had the ability to sign up for the hotel reward system and get free stuff. They also had a rewarding system through the company where you could also redeem for prices, even though i never got mine. You could also sell Directv to customer and get a commission out of it. Health insurance, 401 K Stock purchasing free directv for one box after that it was only 5 per receiver, PTO which increased each year. Salary was Piece work which gave you the ability to make more money.

Cons

Not a lot of time home since you had to traveled every 2 weeks. Which is perfect if you're young and single otherwise its a little hard. When traveling to a different market they would usually priorities in house techs so we will always be running out of equipment.

"Suprovisor for how much longer un-decided"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at MasTec Advanced Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top DTV package and a van that can be used for work only and is speed monitored and driving habit monitored based on 75-100 if your 75 you park your van at the office if your less than 90 you get hassled by your boss every day 75 for 30 days final 60 days fired and if you drive in the city guaranteed to end up in the 70's

Cons

salary work 90hrs a week for 40hrs pay sign for 40 hr 5 day week and a required to work 6 day week have 30-50 employees plus everything else they can throw on your plate.

Advice to Management

this company is dishonest false and a joke
    they treat they're employees like trash to use up and throw away