Mashable Reviews | Glassdoor

Mashable CEO Pete Cashmore
Pete Cashmore
  1. "Internship Experience"

Former Employee - Ad Ops Intern in Culver City, CA

I worked at Mashable part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment, good direction, learned a lot of skills

Cons

too much good food

Mashable2016-02-18

"Fun office and good place to develop skills, but interns get ignored"

I worked at Mashable

Pros

Young, fun work environment. Most people are pretty easy to talk to and willing to help if you ask. Lots of fun events like happy hour, breakfasts, and famous dogs (and sometimes people) come to the office to play! $10/hr pay was really good for an editorial internship.

Cons

The first week we were taught how to use all of the programs and about the protocols of writing for Mashable, but after that we were left entirely on our own. There wasn't a lot of reaching out from editors and writers, so it was a little intimidating asking for help. Felt like we were outsiders to the cliques from each department, even the ones we were assigned. There was ZERO communication from HR and the editors... about the possibility of being hired full-time. There was no encouragement towards interns to apply for jobs after graduation and interns who had already graduated were given end dates for the internship (after there originally was no official date) 6 weeks out. Very messy relationship between HR and editorial interns. It also seems like management is extremely behind the rapid growth of the company-if it doesn't catch up, there could be serious problems.

Advice to Management

Talk to the interns! Don't just drop them off into oblivion after the first week- check in on them once a week or something and talk to them about how to apply for a full-time job. And don't be sketchy when you decide to keep some interns for another section and not others, we're all adults here. Mashable was a great place to work and I learned a lot, but it can be intimidating for someone in college to work at... such a big publication- spend time developing your interns so you can hire them as full-time staff who really know the ins and outs of the company.

Mashable2015-11-30

"Fun atmosphere with some issues"

I worked at Mashable full-time

Pros

Good company culture Cool offices Fun people and a very laid back mentality (in certain departments) The company is expanding

Cons

Haven't maintained quite the same company culture as they've scaled The pay is not great Senior management sometimes doesn't do the best job communicating company direction down to the rest of the staff

Advice to Management

My advice would be to continue keeping the same company culture and level of connection to the staffers as they continue to expand

Mashable2015-11-15
  4. "Overall Good Atmosphere"

Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Mashable for more than a year

Pros

Good culture and attentive management. Every one is very nice and the management seems to pay attention to employee problems.

Cons

I think they could focus more on what they want to be as a culture. It feels like sometimes they try and do too many things at once.

Advice to Management

Try and make the mission clearer. People are becoming jaded to advertising and online media. It will be hard to stand out from the pack.

Mashable2015-11-03

"great place for a male employee to get ahead"

I have been working at Mashable full-time

Pros

Friendly and approachable CEO. Very nice office. Helpful HR department.

Cons

Men are highly favored in this company. It is hard for a female to even get acknowledged sometimes from some upper management, let alone get fairly treated.

Advice to Management

Some not all of the C level folks should try to acknowledge female staff. It feels a bit sexist when you walk by female staff without even saying "hi" but you can laugh and exchange stories with all the guys even interns as long as they are guys.

Mashable2015-10-04
  6. "Intern"

I worked at Mashable

Pros

Great work environment! Everyone was friendly, and willing to help you learn.

Cons

Not a lot of positions at the time for interns.

Mashable2015-08-18
  7. "There may be a few "growing pains", but overall a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Mashable full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many opportunities to learn new skills - staff are friendly and willing to take time out to help, teach, get involved, etc. I've found all levels of management ready and willing to meet, answer questions and offer advice. Very cool office - well stocked kitchen, company hosted happy hours/team breakfasts.

Cons

Must be willing to advocate for your own career opportunities - speak up! Office politics sometimes get in the way of meaningful, timely problem solving.

Advice to Management

Senior level management - keep up the accessibility with staff!

Mashable2015-07-23
  8. "Great place to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Mashable full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly and supportive work environment, great culture, nice perks. What I love most about Mashable is that you have immense opportunity to grow. It's a great place to start off a career as your job is rarely the same every few months. You learn a lot on the go!

Cons

Senior management lacks a sense of leadership and drive that I want in a progressive company like Mashable. The staff work nicely towards a common goal for the company; however, leadership often seems to be reactive instead of proactive when looking towards the future.

Advice to Management

Develop a cohesive plan and stick to it. Be sure to communicate that plan effectively and honestly to employees.

Mashable2015-07-21

"Out with the old and in with the new"

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at Mashable full-time

Pros

It was a great company to work for when it was smaller. Good team. Smart people.

Cons

And then it wasn't. As one person said in his previous review, the culture suffered as management changed directions. I'm one of the dozens employees who left.

Advice to Management

New management should respect the old. But the damage was done. The old is no longer around. Mashable is a different site now.

Mashable2015-04-02

"A nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Mashable full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of things to love about Mashable's editorial side: it's a low-stakes work environment, with a high emphasis on having fun. It takes digital culture seriously; if you love memes, Reddit, or are just a nerd, you'll find plenty of kindred spirits here. Benefits are kind, and it's also great at work/life balance: You'll never get frantic calls or emails from your boss on a Saturday demanding you to drop... everything and rush in to the office. This is an especially great workplace for the very young or fresh out of school.

Cons

In recent years, Mashable's culture has suffered as management has changed directions. Long-time employees are leaving in droves, complaining about lack of opportunities for growth or being generally undervalued by their supervisors. Many feel that attention (and senior titles) is being unfairly given to recently-hired "superstars" at the expense of early employees who grew the company to its current size. Even... Mashable's low-pressure workplace culture seems to be evaporating as office politics claim more and more of management's time.

Advice to Management

Editorial management's strategy is heavy on acquiring new talent at the top, but with few exceptions, those hires have so far led to nothing great. Rather, management would do well to give its long-time employees – the ones whose work led to million-dollar investments in the first place – bigger and better opportunities. There's no lack of talent and ideas at Mashable, just a lack of managerial competence to... recognize it and courage to let it run.

Mashable2015-03-01