Masonicare Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"CNA"

Current Employee - CNA in Wallingford, CT
    Current Employee - CNA in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Masonicare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for! Masonicare treats their employees equally and with respect. Great teamwork and flexibility. Would definitely recommend the facility to others.

Cons

As any company, there could be improvement to benefit the company. This includes solving simple mistakes that have happened in the past.

Advice to Management

Staffing does a good job with coverage; however, sometimes floating to different floors is needed when staff is down. Therefore, work can become complicated when the staff is unfamiliar with the patients and residents. Teamwork comes handy during times like these.

Masonicare Response

Jan 27, 2017 – Director of Recruitment

Thank you for your comments! Over the past year, nursing administration in our facilities has undertaken a major initiative to reduce floating of staff from unit to unit within the facility. We know ... More

2. "A well communicated orgainzation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Masonicare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am fairly new to Masonicare about 6 months, and can honestly say that I have found an organization I am happy to be a part of. From the interview process through to my current work load I feel that I have the support and resources needed to succeed. The company is very good at communicating events, on-goings, and announcements. I always feel that the department I work in is kept in the loop, and effectively shares information and resources that are needed. The organization does a lot of great things for the community and offers a lot of activities, events, and information to its employees making it a great place to work for.

Cons

At this point in time, I feel that their are not any cons that would sway my opinion of the organization.

Masonicare Response

Feb 28, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for your feedback!

3. "Patient care should be #1 priority"

Current Employee - Home Care in East Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Home Care in East Hartford, CT

I have been working at Masonicare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The flexibility is great for working parents. Able to make a difference in patients lives. Learn a lot about community resources

Cons

Poor communication. Need to pay better
    Long hours more than the eight hours more like ten to twelve
    Unreasonable expectations

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees
    Seniority should mean something

4. "I felt like I was worthless"

Former Employee - Waitstaff in Wallingford, CT
    Former Employee - Waitstaff in Wallingford, CT

I worked at Masonicare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay, some of the elderly people were nice

Cons

My experience was horrible the job was very demanding and lacked any leadership or organization. Workers quit left and right I was hired for 10.5 hours but rarely actually worked that reaching up to 30 hours with no days off. I felt like a slave and at times wanted to quit asap.

Advice to Management

To actually have management around, instead of staff being their own bosses

5. "Assisting residents with All Phases of daily labor in facility"

Current Employee - Connecticut in Wallingford, CT
    Current Employee - Connecticut in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Masonicare (More than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work and retired but need more

Cons

Need more hours and pay

"Employees and residents are great but..."

Former Employee - Environmental Services in Wallingford, CT
    Former Employee - Environmental Services in Wallingford, CT

I worked at Masonicare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Residents and most employees are great to work with
    The HR lady at MHCC is top notch

Cons

The work you do doesn't equal pay, upper management is terrible. The lack of respect they have for all employees is a disgrace. Benefits used to be aces at one point, internal servey last year prove that over 75 percent of employees were not happy

Advice to Management

Get it together! You have great people working for you, STOP USING AND ABUSING THEM. Compensate on merit

"Excitement for 6 months then I was able get better vision of nursing managers on units that started to crumble!!"

Former Employee - CNA in Wallingford, CT
    Former Employee - CNA in Wallingford, CT

I worked at Masonicare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getting to know the patients and family's, pay rate and health benefits great if you work weekend choice, communication with all staff through computers, and appreciation for the holidays worked.

Cons

Teamwork, not enough staff, professionalism, patients aren't given enough personal care, too many short cuts in ALL departments, and no acknowledgement to worker's who go above and beyond to customer service!

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to dementia units, since most patients cant tell you how there being neglected.Watch all your high end management in ALL your departments!!

"CEO makes $1M but nursing units understaffed and overworked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wallingford, CT

I have been working at Masonicare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None. I only stay for the patients. Even then, it's tough not to look elsewhere for work.

Cons

It's time employees start educating themselves because we're not getting paid enough!! I have a family with 3 kids to support, wages are just not fair. I encourage you to look up Form 990 Schedule J Part II. Masonicare is a non-profit and this information is open to the public on the filing. There is no confidential information here but the big shots don't want us knowing this info.

I encourage my coworkers to unite. Don't you like the song and dance they sing when they come around crying how "times are tough" and we need to cut expenses and do more with less?? Have we ever seen a bonus? Do we make close to a million dollars? We sure don't and we pour our lives into this place. Instead of focusing on important things, like how understaffed and stressed we are, they're worried about parking policies. The priorities of management are so lopsided but what do they care when they take home fat checks? The biggest thing management fears is an informed and organized workforce because that's when they'll finally be held accountable.

Advice to Management

Stop filling your pockets with money off our hard work. You forget that it if it weren't for us, you wouldn't be making a million bucks. You never back anything up with action, it's all talk and we're all tired of it. Change is coming, even if it's just my unit.

"Masonicare is still the best place to work if you want to feel proud of the care you give your patients."

Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Wallingford, CT
    Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Wallingford, CT

I worked at Masonicare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The facility is clean - not at all like a typical nursing home. Its more like a hospital and run that way too. They have made some important changes in the past year in adminsitration and all for the better. Many negative leaders are now gone. The man in charge really listened to what the employees said they wanted. There were complaints about certain people and now those people are gone! staff are happy and patients are happy again. all it takes is one bad apple to spoil teh bunch, and if its the apple in charge that drags the whole bunch down! Overall the nursing management team at the Healthcare Center is very strong. Staffing is good and the pay is good too. Lots of people who have been there for a long time complain about the pay, but they stay so that must mean something. Pay is high or fair compared to other similar companies. Hospitals do pay more. Tuition reimbursement and 401K with match is awesome.

Cons

Every company has their sh*t, but i honestly think its less here than other places i have been. I would still be at Masonicare now, but i needed to quit to focus on school. You don't get much OT, but i think that speaks to the good staffing they have. 8 hr shifts vs 12 hrs shifts. not necessarilly a con, but would be nice to see more 12 hr shift opportunities.

Advice to Management

good changes over the last year. Keep listening to your employees - we know what is needed. we are on the front line and we know what works and what doesn't. Keep getting rid of weak/negative managers and hiring good people.

"Immediate supervisors are terrible"

Current Employee - CNA in Newtown, CT
    Current Employee - CNA in Newtown, CT

I have been working at Masonicare part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. Nice campus. Alright pay within the field. They offer benefits for positions starting at 24hrs a week. I absolutely love the residents we care for.

Cons

Senior management brought in a 3rd party company to do a employee engagement survey and run focus groups last year. So far, I haven't seen ANY improvements or attempts to fix any problems. Let alone a plan of action.
    This seems to be a problem at all levels of management. They become aware of an issue or concern, they "yes" you to death and at the end of the day, nothing was solved.
    Favoritism is rampant. Supervisors will deny it, but it's obvious.
    CNAs work extremely short staffed. 90% of the time, we are unable to take our 30 minute lunch break due to resident needs. Where are our supervisors? Why aren't they willing to get their hands dirty and help us out? They act as if they are above it.
    CNAs get burned out easily due to staffing shortages and uneven work assignments. One floor will have 4 incontinence checks per night/per aide while another will have 20.
    Praise and "recognition" from supervisors seem hollow and insincere.
    Also, any input given by lower level staff to improve morale or conditions is routinely ignored.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. The ones who do the dirty work. We know what would make things better for us. A respected employee will provide excellent care. When people are burned out, the care reflects that as well.