Mass Audubon Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Part-time year round employee"

I worked at Mass Audubon part-time

Pros

consistent employment, work environment, accessable HR

Cons

Organizational skills of leadership in some sanctuaries

2. "Trouble in Paradise"

I have been working at Mass Audubon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice property, fun to teach and learn about environmental education. I like having keys to the builds it makes me feel important . Nice coworkers, nice children and families.

Cons

Low pay, long hours, no breaks and no benefits to seasonal and part time workers. No real full time job openings come up, not sure if I would want one anyway. Management is nice as long as you don't question their policies or ideas, even if you have some helpful problem solving solutions.

Advice to Management

Just because you were a good teacher does not make you a good manager, get some training. Upper management should be making middle management more accountable for their job. Staff should be able to evaluate their supervisors, to help management improve how they manage and support the staff. Stop playing the blame game! Ideally it would be nice to see more of a collaborative of staff and management to share on problem solving.

3. "Caring, Humane Workplace"

Current Employee - Educator in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Educator in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Mass Audubon part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very interesting, rewarding work in beautiful locations. Strong sense of mission. Family-friendly workplace -- everyone is very understanding if you have a sick child or pet. Coworkers are smart, funny, and caring. Personal appearance is not a priority. If you feel stressed, you can take a break and walk the trails. Never boring.

Cons

Sanctuary budgets are starved; as a result, there is little opportunity for full-time work with benefits, even if your performance is exceptional. The emphasis is on hiring "part-time, seasonal" workers, with low pay and no benefits, for as many positions as possible. Expect many hours of unpaid work. The fulfilling and interesting nature of the work, however, softens the hard financial reality.

Advice to Management

Find ways to reward and retain quality employees. Excellent job, otherwise!

4. "Staff"

I worked at Mass Audubon part-time

Pros

Great company and people to work with

Cons

Can tend to be a bit low paying

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work of taking care of your employees

"Great people. Rewarding mission."

I worked at Mass Audubon part-time

Pros

Great staff and coworkers. People are very passionate and committed . Support and teamwork are a daily occurrence and people genuinely care about the place.

Cons

Some disconnect/dissatisfaction between tenured employees and upper management. Lack of communication between long term employees and management. Being a nonprofit, lower salaries need to be expected as a tradeoff.

Advice to Management

Great people/staff. Perhaps more attention to solving the concerns of professional development and promoting from within rather than searching for new employees. More reviews/communication.

"Drumlin Farm - summer staff"

Pros

Great community. Co-workers are there for the right reasons. Get to work outside with children and wildlife. Tons of fun. Would definitely suggest to college age people looking for fulfilling summer work.

Cons

Training is very comprehensive but it still leaves something to be desired. Expect time before and after work to be used to plan and schedule your week.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Collaboration amongst employer and employees will keep this program running as well as it does.

7. "Great people, great environment"

Former Employee - LEAD Camp Counselor in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - LEAD Camp Counselor in Worcester, MA

I worked at Mass Audubon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and environment at Mass Audubon make it a great place to work. Full of like-minded individuals who work hard towards conserving and advocating for the environment by educating the public, I really enjoyed my time working here.

Cons

Low pay for seasonal positions.

"Great place to get experience and start a career directed towards nature and wild life!"

Former Employee - Receptionist, Teen Ambassador, Camp Counselor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Receptionist, Teen Ambassador, Camp Counselor in Boston, MA

I worked at Mass Audubon part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked here on and off for over 5+ years. I enjoy the environment as well as the staff. Over all a good experience. I've seen people stay here for years and really enjoy their jobs. Paid lunch breaks and very communicative.

Cons

I believe better pay would be a bit beneficial and room to expand career wise.

"an okay place ... with some shadowy elements"

I worked at Mass Audubon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall a diverse and interesting place to work with opportunities to grow for young professionals. Good benefits if hired as a full-time employee (e.g. after a year). Reciprocity with other MA museums (etc.) = free admission to many other places (great for getting into expensive museums like the New England Aquarium).

Cons

In 2005, after working for a year at HQ (at which point giving me benefits was required), human resources put great pressure on my supervisor to make me a contractor rather than hire me under the guise of "fairness" to other long-term non-benefit employees. Also at the time MAS was trying out a new corporate-type set of human resource policies, including firing and eviction on the same day of people employed for many years and on whom many others depended. There was also a fair bit of backstabbing among VPs heading up divisions over money, which resulted in a large "restructuring" of divisions.

10. "Mass Audubon Very Committed to Conservation and Education"

Former Employee - Camp Staff in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Camp Staff in Boston, MA

I worked at Mass Audubon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mass Audubon is very focused on the two things it does best: conservation and education. Most jobs at Mass Audubon are not in the office and engaging with the outdoors on a daily basis is a perk of its own. Camp Jobs are in a thriving camp environment, where most kids want to learn.

Cons

Jobs mostly seasonal. Mass Audubon is not especially well known even in Massachusetts. They could learn to garner more publicity in order to receive more donations and higher public profile.