Mass Audubon Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Staff"

I worked at Mass Audubon part-time

Pros

Great company and people to work with

Cons

Can tend to be a bit low paying

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work of taking care of your employees

2. "Great people. Rewarding mission."

I worked at Mass Audubon part-time

Pros

Great staff and coworkers. People are very passionate and committed . Support and teamwork are a daily occurrence and people genuinely care about the place.

Cons

Some disconnect/dissatisfaction between tenured employees and upper management. Lack of communication between long term employees and management. Being a nonprofit, lower salaries need to be expected as a tradeoff.

Advice to Management

Great people/staff. Perhaps more attention to solving the concerns of professional development and promoting from within rather than searching for new employees. More reviews/communication.

3. "Drumlin Farm - summer staff"

Pros

Great community. Co-workers are there for the right reasons. Get to work outside with children and wildlife. Tons of fun. Would definitely suggest to college age people looking for fulfilling summer work.

Cons

Training is very comprehensive but it still leaves something to be desired. Expect time before and after work to be used to plan and schedule your week.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Collaboration amongst employer and employees will keep this program running as well as it does.

5. "Great people, great environment"

Former Employee - LEAD Camp Counselor in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - LEAD Camp Counselor in Worcester, MA

I worked at Mass Audubon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people and environment at Mass Audubon make it a great place to work. Full of like-minded individuals who work hard towards conserving and advocating for the environment by educating the public, I really enjoyed my time working here.

Cons

Low pay for seasonal positions.

6. "an okay place ... with some shadowy elements"

I worked at Mass Audubon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall a diverse and interesting place to work with opportunities to grow for young professionals. Good benefits if hired as a full-time employee (e.g. after a year). Reciprocity with other MA museums (etc.) = free admission to many other places (great for getting into expensive museums like the New England Aquarium).

Cons

In 2005, after working for a year at HQ (at which point giving me benefits was required), human resources put great pressure on my supervisor to make me a contractor rather than hire me under the guise of "fairness" to other long-term non-benefit employees. Also at the time MAS was trying out a new corporate-type set of human resource policies, including firing and eviction on the same day of people employed for many years and on whom many others depended. There was also a fair bit of backstabbing among VPs heading up divisions over money, which resulted in a large "restructuring" of divisions.

7. "Great place to get experience and start a career directed towards nature and wild life!"

Former Employee - Receptionist, Teen Ambassador, Camp Counselor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Receptionist, Teen Ambassador, Camp Counselor in Boston, MA

I worked at Mass Audubon part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked here on and off for over 5+ years. I enjoy the environment as well as the staff. Over all a good experience. I've seen people stay here for years and really enjoy their jobs. Paid lunch breaks and very communicative.

Cons

I believe better pay would be a bit beneficial and room to expand career wise.

8. "Mass Audubon Very Committed to Conservation and Education"

Former Employee - Camp Staff in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Camp Staff in Boston, MA

I worked at Mass Audubon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mass Audubon is very focused on the two things it does best: conservation and education. Most jobs at Mass Audubon are not in the office and engaging with the outdoors on a daily basis is a perk of its own. Camp Jobs are in a thriving camp environment, where most kids want to learn.

Cons

Jobs mostly seasonal. Mass Audubon is not especially well known even in Massachusetts. They could learn to garner more publicity in order to receive more donations and higher public profile.

9. "Mass Audubon is a very good and fair employer."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

You get to work with good people in Mass Audubon. The benefits are quite good.

Cons

It can be difficult to move up in this small organization.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

10. "Commitment to Conservation of Land, Flora and Fauna of Massachusetts with Audubon"

Current Employee - Field Teacher in Topsfield, MA
    Current Employee - Field Teacher in Topsfield, MA

I have been working at Mass Audubon part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This organization is totally committed to the conservation of the land, animals and plants of Massachusetts. I cannot think of a better steward of these things in the form of an organization. Its staff is 100% behind these goals.

Cons

They need to learn how to promote themselves better and gain more publicity in positive ways. Develop some more imaginative approaches to doing this.

Advice to Management

Diversify in the kind of people you hire: they need to have other backgrounds besides ecology, the environment and conservation.

11. "Great staff, really dedicated, wonderful properties"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lincoln, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lincoln, MA

I worked at Mass Audubon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The mission of Mass Audubon. Their beautiful properties. Great staff, really dedicated. Worked there for 8 1/5 years in the Natural History Travel office. Had a great manager.

Cons

Because the salaries aren't high, would be nice if they gave 4 weeks vacation. While I was there, there was a huge reorganization that was tough to go through, as I got reorged along with my manager. We were moved to a much quieter building and a different department, and it was tough to be away from people I really enjoyed being around.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the staff and their dedication!